Copy an entity by Ctrl + mouse drag

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

adng
User

Post by adng »

Previous version: press "Ctrl" + mouse drag = Copy.
But version Build 307.2 could not perform it.

Any problem?
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Copy an entity by Ctrl + mouse drag

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello adng,

Please note that the Editor cannot copy base content of a PDF file yet. If you are trying to use Ctrl+Mouse drag on such content - it will not work.
Please try using it on any comment or annotation and you should be able copy the object without problems.

Regards,
Radi
adng
User

Post by adng »

Radi - Tracker Supp wrote:Hello adng,

Please note that the Editor cannot copy base content of a PDF file yet. If you are trying to use Ctrl+Mouse drag on such content - it will not work.
Please try using it on any comment or annotation and you should be able copy the object without problems.

Regards,
Radi
It is not a "base content" but an entity created by the tool.
For example, if I make a text box; then I cannot copy it to another location with the use of "Ctrl + mouse drag".
I could use "Ctrl + mouse drag" on previous version.

On the version of 307.2, to copy an entity I have to follow: "Ctrl +C" --> "Ctrl + V" --> mouse drag.
It consumes more time, not convenient.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi again adng,

Could not reproduce this either, and as far as I know - Ctrl-Drag has always worked to duplicate annotation objects.
Does this issue occur for you in all PDF files or in a specific file? If it's just one file that has issues - can you attach it here for us to test please?

Regards,
Stefan
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I do not remember exactly anymore, but could this be caused by something set in "exclusive mode" (like the Hand Tool or the Select Tool) ? One can check this in the Properties Toolbar or in the Properties Pane.

Also when "Edit Comments" is active, it is not as easy to copy via CTRL + dragging the object/shape.
In that case you must grab the object via the little circle in the middle (while the mouse arrow changes into a four-direction pointer).

Best regards.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for your comments.
There's no Exclusive mode for the Hand tool, but indeed if Eclusive mode is selected for any other tool it could be interfering, though then you will be unable to select the objects at all - and from adng's description it doesn't seem to be the case.

The other note for having "Edit Comments" active is valid though, and indeed you need to select the central circle to move/copy the object.

Regards,
Stefan
adng
User

Post by adng »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi again adng,

Could not reproduce this either, and as far as I know - Ctrl-Drag has always worked to duplicate annotation objects.
Does this issue occur for you in all PDF files or in a specific file? If it's just one file that has issues - can you attach it here for us to test please?

Regards,
Stefan
It occurs on all files, that why I assumed the version's problem.
Previous version works well. I had to use the later version because of company's security compatibility (previous version had a lot of color bands which hide document contents).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi adng,

Ctrl + Drag to copy was not implemented in earlier releases of the Editor. Please download and test with Version 5.5. Build 316.1 and this should work for you:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
adng
User

Post by adng »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi adng,

Ctrl + Drag to copy was not implemented in earlier releases of the Editor. Please download and test with Version 5.5. Build 316.1 and this should work for you:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Thanks,
Thanks you.
It works now but luckily because we have 7 days of maintenance left so it does not require entering a new serial number.
I think the updates should be available free-of-charge to all official customers, since we considered those as "software defects"
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi adng,

You will find that most, if not all, of our competitors have a similar licensing paradigm and that they also charge for continued updates and support, after the first year.

As per my post on your other topic: all updates and upgrades are provided free of charge for the first year, as all users with a valid license receive 1 years free maintenance, at the time of purchase. After that, a maintenance renewal/extension is required. This cannot be provided free, as it costs us no small amount of money to maintain and improve the software. To continue doing that, we have to be able to cover the costs of development and pay the support staff.

Ctrl + Drag to copy not being present was not a bug or a defect, it was not an implemented feature.

Thanks for your understanding.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
adng
User

Post by adng »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi adng,

You will find that most, if not all, of our competitors have a similar licensing paradigm and that they also charge for continued updates and support, after the first year.

As per my post on your other topic: all updates and upgrades are provided free of charge for the first year, as all users with a valid license receive 1 years free maintenance, at the time of purchase. After that, a maintenance renewal/extension is required. This cannot be provided free, as it costs us no small amount of money to maintain and improve the software. To continue doing that, we have to be able to cover the costs of development and pay the support staff.

Ctrl + Drag to copy not being present was not a bug or a defect, it was not an implemented feature.

Thanks for your understanding.
It is noted, however we will not send any feedback for your further improvement.
Being a customer we will choose the one which we find most suitable for us.
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

As far as I can tell from the behavior of the current version of the PDF-XChange Editor and "RFE: Ctrl + drag to copy text" (https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=36120) thread, the function "Ctrl + Drag" for copying text editable objects has not yet been implemented?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Correct. I bumped the priority of this item as a result of your enquiry.

I hope that helps.

:)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America