How to preserve "last modified" date?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

mattad
User

How to preserve "last modified" date?

Post by mattad »

When I change the content of a pdf file and save it then the "last modified" date is adjusted.

How can I preserve this date (leave it untouched)?

How do I leave other pdf header information like "created by software" untouched as well?

Matt
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to preserve "last modified" date?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Matt,

"Preserving" the old date actually makes it invalid - as the file was modified after that.
May I ask why do you want to make changes to a file and preserve an old modification date?

Regards,
Stefan
mattad
User

Post by mattad »

Hmm, possibly it makes it logically invalid.

Technically it should be possible!

There are many "touch" or date manipulation tools out there which allow manual modification of the last modified date.
So it should be possible in PDFXEdit as well.

Since I oftentimes sort files according to the "last modified date" column in WinExplorer I want to preserve this sort order.

So this is your last word?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi mattad,

While it may be technically possible, it is not logically feasible for us to allow preservation of the modification date, after modification occurs. As Stefan said, this would invalidate the entire purpose of having a modification date.

I would suggest organizing by file name instead, that way it's always in alphabetical order in Explorer and can be easily found.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com