Hits sometimes not highlighted

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Seeker45
User

Hits sometimes not highlighted

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi,

I have the following problem. It has existed before and exists in 5.5.316.0.

This is the default situation:

All fine here. I am using the cursor-down key to scroll through the list of hits. For each hit in the list the hit is highlighted in the document.

However, now I come to page 8, and the situation is:

While continuing to move down in the list of hits, the hits in the document are not highlighted anymore, i.e., none of the hits on that page.

Then, coming to page 9, everything works again.

This document is just an example. I have had this on a number of other occasions - however, no obvious rule behind this behavior. Since I obtain a lot of documents from processing with OmniPage Ultimate 19, this could be a commonality, however, no guarantee :wink:

And, to make things worse:

This was after I restarted PDF-XChange Editor, i.e., that's what I expected.

I trust with 8GB of RAM, Win7 64bit, SSD, i5 @ 3.2 GHz we are not looking at resource issues.

So, sorry to leave you with this, but it occurs "regulary", just not following an apparent rule. :|

Cheers
Ralf
Attachments
EP1324593A2.pdf
(541.53 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Hits sometimes not highlighted

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ralf,

Thanks for the post - I've seen this before but have never been able to reproduce it. I'm afraid that I can't in this instance either. It's not likely to be an issue with the amount of RAM your have, or your processor, but it could be related to storage space, or space in your %temp% folder. Can you please try clearing your system temp folder and see if that helps?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

the %temp% folder had only 4.4 MB (not GB), so that cannot have been the issue. Still I have cleaned it. Also, I have about 16GB free space on c:\, the SSD-drive where Win7 and applications are stored.

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ralf,

Can you please try exporting your settings (Edit --> Export Settings) and sending to me? I'd like to test to see if this is an issue with some setting that is causing some kind of strange conflict.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I'm seeing this as well at times. Re-doing the search usually fixes the issue.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

I have sent my settings file via email to you. I don't think that it is a settings problem.

Rather, since I am using the search very extensively, I assume that I get to see this issue more often than others. Also, stepping through the results is something probably only a few users do. In fact, I think that David.P, looking at his profession :) , is also using the search rather often, perhaps in a similar way as I do, and is thus also more likely to see this issue.

Cheers
Ralf
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

In re David.P: Just opened the document again, searched for format again, and this time page 6 had the issue while page 8 was fine:

As David stated - I can confirm his observation - I did the search again, and the result was fine:

Does not work always, but most of the time.

Cheers
Ralf
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

I use the search about 500 times a day, most of the times including the "stepping through" the occurrences :)

On a related note, it would be great if this issue:

aka "do not shift the document horizontally when clicking on a Find occurrence, on a bookmark or on a page thumbnail"

...could be fixed as well.

Best regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi David,

Please see my reply in the other topic:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 474#p97474

Regards,
Stefan
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi,

Coming back to my original post. I assume you have received my settings file? Also, which ticket number was assigned? Thank you.

Best regards
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ralf,

I've test with your settings (thanks for sending) and it looks as though you're correct: cannot reproduce the problem.

Is there any other information that you can provide, that may help us 'nail this down' once and for all?

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

you just have to use the search like I and David.P do it.... :lol: Seriously, I am afraid I have no further hint. The more often you are using the search on varying documents, the more likely the issue will occur. But other than that? Well, in case it becomes reproducible, I will post again.

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ralf,

I've brought this to the attention of the Dev. Team and they've said that they will see if they can reproduce the issue and identify the cause, if possible. If not, I'll let you know what we need.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

I keep seeing this issue. Redoing the search can either fix the problem or (sometimes) let it appear at other locations. Since the matches are shown correctly at the right hand side, I assume that the problematic entries (represented at the right hand side) lack the highlighting information or have incorrect highlighting information. Since I see this issue at least on a daily basis, is there something I can do to extract/dump the highlighting information, so that your developers can look at this?

I have some sympathy that you seem to be unable to reproduce this issue, most likely because you are usually not using the search extensively, but there should be something I can provide you with so that you get more clues on where to look for the problem. Since I have seen this issue over multiple (all?) versions over the last two years and also on different computers, I am sure it is something in the program that can be investigated on your end. Thank you.

Cheers
Ralf
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi everyone,

I'm still seeing this as well from time to time, however maybe only a few times a week.

Ralf has pointed it out already, but maybe it is useful to state that, if this issue occurs, not all search highlights in the entire document are missing, but only some (the missing highlights being possibly limited to certain pages).

Cheers
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

The issue for us is that it is impossible to fix something that we cannot reproduce and that happens so intermittently. Given how intermittent it is, a remote session would be of no use because it could potentially be hours before we see the issue.

I was briefly able to reproduce the issue today, but upon restarting the Editor to see if I could reproduce it a second time, the problem completely disappeared (as I believe you mentioned yourselves). The best that I can do is grab the Dev. Team and have them look on my PC when I reproduce the problem, but that could be a while, so I cannot guarantee a quick fix.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

From the users' side, it would be interesting to know if the problem is there on a "per page" base.
In other words, for a particular page "all the hits" are shown or are not shown/highlighted.

From the developers' side, it would be interesting to know if they did built in some switch, into the Editor, to whether show all the hits for a whole page or not.

If these two questions would have a positive answer, then the developers could look and find out why that switch 'sometimes' goes OFF for particular pages ... Maybe when a 'hits counter' for those pages has no value, invalid value or a zero value ...

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Willy,

The problem here seems to be that the page on which results are not highlighted, differs each time the issue appears. There is no such 'switch' in the Editor that we have deliberately put in that may cause this. Essentially, all search results should always be highlighted, irrespective of the page that they're on.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

Is there something we can do, when we see this problem, e.g. collect information on the error present? I assume that your devs would have a general idea of where such issue could occur, so perhaps when the error is there, they could use some additional information to better locate the problem? I understand that this is not easy, but I would hope that I can contribute further information when I see this error, so that this can be addressed. Thank you.

Cheers
Ralf
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Hello Support-

I want to chime in that I also see this issue frequently. It happened just now on a pdf that was made from a .tiff and that I OCR'd using the Editor. The .tiff to .pdf was handled by "ImageMagick 6.6.0-1 2010-03-04 Q8 http://www.imagemagick.org" before I downloaded it.

I realize that does not give you much to go on, but I want to remind Support that this is a real issue, affecting more than a few random users with random pdf files. It happens to me all the time across a wide variety of pdfs.

I am at work so I cannot send the pdf or do a remote session. Still, I hope you look into it.

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

This isn't an issue of us not taking this seriously, we just can't reproduce the problem in any consistent manner. If we can't see the problem in action, we cannot fix it.

Having user's files does not help, as we may reproduce it once, then subsequently cannot. Having user's settings does not help, as it is not settings related. It also does not appear to be related to operating system, architecture, system resources, etc.

We are doing what we can to fix the problem, but it is not a simple 'look and fix' issue.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Micha May
User

Post by Micha May »

Just registered to say that I also see this frequently.
Will try to send a reproducable case.

Micha
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Mica,

Thanks for the post - please do let us know.

Also, while I'm not certain that it will fix the issue (given that we couldn't reproduce it to fix it!), I would strongly urge that you all download and test the Version 6 Editor that was released yesterday, and advise on whether it helps, is worse, is no better or worse, etc.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE6.zip

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Micha May
User

Post by Micha May »

At the moment, version 6 is not available as update, only as separate download, right?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Micha,

That's correct. At this time, I'm not sure if this was intentional or if the Update Server simply hasn't been, itself, updated. I'll confirm with the Dev. Team later today.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Will,

I "accidentally" found your reference to the version 6. Have you notified the other users involved, i.e., David.P, bqxmprij and Willy Van Nuffel? Micha May is obviously aware of this version.

While it is much too early to make a call, since I have not seen this issue yet with the test version, I think it is fair to say that it is not "worse". I will continue testing, and if the other users are testing, too, we should have a meaningful indication soon.

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ralf,

I've not personally notified anyone as, to my knowledge, we still haven't been able to reproduce the issue to troubleshoot, so I was not expecting any fix. However, I do believe that many are ware, as I've discussed other requests/issues with them, in different topics.

Do keep us posted!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

I will just add I have been seeing this for years with every version. In fact, I can guarantee it will happen if I try a search with many hits in a long document. This is something I do a lot, so I get the problem all the time. Next/Previous jump to the correct pages, the notches are visible on the vertical scroll bar, but some highlights are invisible in the text.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi all,

Exciting news!! I have managed to reproduce it here and the Dev. Team are now investigating (again). Hopefully we'll have more luck now that they've seen the issue directly.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
glocal
User

Post by glocal »

While they are at it, can they make the scroll bar show all instances of hits, not just the ones below or above? I can click on next/previous but the search is done anyway, why not show all hits?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi glocal,

Reproduced this too and have created a ticket (RT-3497).

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi,

it may not help much, but I can confirm that the issue is still present in the 6.0 (build 317.0) version. I am glad to hear that the issue has been reproduced.

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ralf,

The issue has not been fixed yet. I believe that the fix should be implemented for build 318.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Micha May
User

Post by Micha May »

Any progress on this issue?
Is there a release plan for build 318?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Micha May,

Just checked the ticket - but there doesn't seem to be any significant update as to whether it is fixed or which build it will be for. As soon as there are some news - we will let you know.

Regards,
Stefan
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi all,

I just did a search for a word over an entire folder of 70 PDF documents.

When browsing through the results list, in almost 2/3rds of the cases the search term was NOT highlighted.

This even did not improve when re-doing the search a coupe of times.

I hope this helps in tracking that error down.

Regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

Thanks for the post - from what I can see on the ticket, a developer has been assigned to the issue. There hasn't been any fix yet, as the ticket was created not long prior to the release of Version 6 Build 317, so it couldn't make it into that, and 317.1 was only to address some critical issues and this was not one.

While I cannot give definite confirmation, I believe that it's likely to be fixed for Build 318.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Micha May
User

Post by Micha May »

Since Build 318 seems to be in the test: Is this issue fixed in Build 318?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Micha May,

I see the ticket is marked as resolved, and I could also no longer reproduce this issue with a release candidate copy of 318 - so next week you should be able to download the fixed build yourself.

Regards,
Stefan
Micha May
User

Post by Micha May »

Great, thanks for the info!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi,

bad news: I just had the issue again on the 6.0.317.1 build. One hit was not highlighted. However, the quick workaround to redo the search worked fine.

Cheers
Ralf
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Ralf,

Thank you for the post. Later today, build 318.0 will be uploaded. It may take the night for the upload to propagate on all our servers.

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Wow, today?!

Very much looking forward to the new version!

Cheers
David.P
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

:mrgreen:
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

This may not be fixed either. I just downloaded this file and did a search for "asbestos". A few instances of the word right at the beginning of the file were not highlighted, while ones further on were. When I re-did the search the ones at the beginning were then highlighted. I don't think the way I have the Options set up would cause this. Please see attached.
Attachments
Search Highlighting.pdf
(75.81 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

The ticket that was marked as resolved was actually regarding the issue with highlights in the document scrollbar.

The issue with not being able to find some highlights has not been resolved because we still have exactly the same problem as before: we cannot reliably reproduce the issue. Even if I can reproduce it once, the development team need to see it happening with their debugging tools or they're not able to locate the specific portion of code that is causing the issue. Until this happens, there cannot be any fix.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Would you like for me to email you this file?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

Please do send us the file.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »