Typewriter Tool Position

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Arnold
User

Typewriter Tool Position

Post by Arnold »

I scanned the attached form in using the Editor which is something I commonly do. I then started using the typewriter tool to fill in the blanks. For some reason the text was placed .25" to the right and .25" down from the position where the cursor is positioned when I click to start. Does not happen with the Viewer. In this regard the Viewer has always been better than the Editor in my experience. With the latest build of the Editor it appears to be even worse.

Is this meant to work like this? Maybe there is some logic to it that I am not picking up on. If not, can't this be made to work as well as the Viewer? I don't think there are any program settings that would cause this. I have always known where the text will go with the Viewer, but I have always had to guess with the Editor. Tested on Windows XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit. Latest builds of both the Viewer and Editor.

Thank you.
Attachments
Typewriter Test.pdf
(43.96 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Typewriter Tool Position

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

Thank you for the post.

We have an ongoing ticket for this problem:

#2680: Fixup position of newly created typewriter annotation on rotated pages

I can see that there is a work item added to this ticket so one of our developers is working on it.

I added your file and information to the ticket, please refer to the above ticket number when you request updates in the future.

Regards,
Radi
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I find it is not just rotated pages. With the attached portrait file, the Viewer places the text right where the cursor is at. It just works correctly. With the Editor it is placed above where the cursor is at. It works differently than with the file I previously sent you. The Viewer works fine with both files.

I was one of the users who reported this previously. I noticed it right away when I switched from the Viewer to the Editor, 3 or 4 versions ago. For small files like the two attached here, it is not such a big problem. When filling in blanks on long files it is a pain. The Editor is the only "typewriter" I have.

Thank you.
Attachments
Typewriter Test 2.pdf
(21.69 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold.
Regarding second file - this is how it should work. When clicking the cursor point not left top corner of added annotation, but at text base line, this allows much easier text positioning.

Please make a small comparison of the Viewer and Editor behavior in for following:
we need to add text drawn on existing horizontal line (i.e. fill some scanned form). Please set the default font size to 10 and try to place text directly on a line in the Viewer.

Then change the default font size for example to 16 and try do the same thing again. I don't think that you will match the line both times from a first click since you should click somewhere higher than line. Instead in the Editor you just need click on a line and type what you need, no following position adjusting will be needed.

HTH.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

So if I am understanding this correctly, the Editor has a "feature" for placing typewriter text on a horizontal line. To my eyes the placement of the text on the horizontal line does not look good at all. Maybe a tiny bit better in Windows 7 than in Windows XP. I think it needs more air under it, and frankly I don't want my documents going out looking like that. The other side of it is that it seems to cause placing text in the middle of a box harder than it needs to be. I prefer what I can do with the Viewer any time.

Of course the look of it is my personal opinion, I guess you guys must think it looks fine. How about putting in an option to shut that feature off so the Editor works like the Viewer. Hopefully that will make putting text in the middle of a box easy once again. I guess this is why I have been thinking there is a bug. It may not be a bug, but for me, it is a nuisance. Please see attached.

Thank you.
Attachments
Typewriter Test 3.pdf
(45.57 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello Arnold,

Just tried doing the small test. In Viewer the left top position of the typewriter text box equals the top left position of the cursor. And in the Editor the central dot of the cursor will be at the base line of the text (which is much better).

Baseline demonstration:

Editor overall behavior:

Viewer overall behavior:
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Okay so it works differently on my computers than over there. Please tell me what settings could be causing this to happen then. You see the results I get over here, you have the actual pdf form I used in the 2 computers. The results I get are plain ugly.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

This is what happens over here. The text is placed above where the cursor is clicked, much like the rotated form bug you know about. Except this only jumps up. The rotated form bug causes it to jump to the left and down.

The cursor seems to disappear once I start typing as well. I type a word and the a space and the cursor disappears. I start to type again and it re-appears. I don't think this should be happening.

I sure would like to figure this out. I have been using the Editor for a while now and I still have to go back to the Viewer to print some documents and to fill out long forms.

Thank you.
Attachments
Typewriter Test 4.pdf
(66.31 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

I believe that I'm seeing the same as yourself:

I've also go to agree with you on the behaviour of text placement in the Viewer vs. the Editor. For example, I personally find it almost impossible to place textboxes and typewriter annots. between the lines in this document, in the Editor:
Test Lined.pdf
(162.92 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
In the Viewer, I can get it perfectly every time.

I'll speak with the Dev. Team to see if this can be changed in the future.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I think some of the problem I have been having may be because of text styles. I had cloned my default text style which is only 10 point and made 2 other styles. One is 12 point bold and the other is 36 point. That 36 point font is a signature font which signs my name.

All 3 of the them were set as default font because I cloned the other 2. I changed those 2 to Custom and restarted the program and it seems to work a lot better. Have not had a chance to mess with it much though to know for sure.

So with the text styles what is the difference between Custom & Global? Maybe only 1 font should be allowed to be set as default. Have not tried it on the Windows 7 machine yet, but it is set up the same way as the XP machine.

Much as I like the Viewer, I want to get it and Acrobat off of this machine. I will test some more.

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Did you have 3 different custom styles for the typewriter/textbox? If so, then it is possible to have different fonts set for each individual style, as this allows for greater flexibility with text-annotations styles.
So with the text styles what is the difference between Custom & Global?
I'm not sure I know what you mean here - can you clarify what you mean by Global styles?

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

It is a setting the Comment Styles Palette under the Typewriter section. Please see attached.
Attachments
Typewriter Font Styles.pdf
(25.32 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for that - this property is purely for the subject of the annotation and does not refer to the text style. Essentially, you are choosing between the default subject (generally the type of annotation), a global subject that can be set for all annotations, of any custom subject that can be set for each individual style of each annotation.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

There definitely appears to be a problem with the cursor disappearing while using the Typewriter feature. It is intermittent, sometimes it is there and sometimes not. I could not see any pattern for what was happening. Occurs on both Windows XP and Windows 7 machines, and with different fonts. No such problem when using Viewer.

I then installed the Editor on another XP machine, so it had no additional Typewriter text styles created, unlike the 2 computers I normally use. Cursor did not disappear when using the Typewriter on that machine.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnold,

So it seems to be specific to the machines on which you have other custom software installed.
Do we need to investigate this issue further or do you feel we can consider this case closed?

Regards,
Stefan
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I do not think that is the problem. All 3 computers have the same software installed. The 2 with the problem are laptops, the other one is not. I can just do something as simple as typing a string of the letter "b" and it happens. If I delete the additional text styles I thought might be causing the problem, it does not help.

If I delete my settings file and re-start the Editor it will create a new settings file, correct? I could then see if the problem still exists. I have exported my existing settings file. Would you be able to use the settings file from the Windows 7 machine over there to check anything? Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,
If I delete my settings file and re-start the Editor it will create a new settings file, correct?
That's right. Please do send the settings file, so that we can take a look here, but I suspect that the issue is the same as the one that I face: in my opinion, the cursor is simply very easy to lose against a white background and the natural background of the Editor. Is this the case for you, as well?

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

I just checked it to be sure, and it actually disappears from the screen. It may be there while I type 2 letters and disappear, then it might be there for 3. There is no set pattern to it that I can see. The blinking cursor just disappears.
Attachments
PDFXChangeEditorSettings 01 24 16.zip
(50.52 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The disappearing cursor behavior seems to be tied in to the zoom level. I generally use fit page, and on the 2 laptops that results in a zoom level of over 150%. The cursor disappears intermittently at that zoom level. If I back both of them down to 125% zoom, the cursor does not disappear. One laptop is running Windows XP, the other is running Windows 7.

The 3rd computer I tried it on has a zoom level of less than 125% when zoomed to fit page, so it seemed okay. If I increase the zoom it does the same thing. At 200% zoom on this computer, the cursor disappears completely. This computer is a desktop computer running Windows XP.

Tests done using File -> New Document -> With Blank Pages using the Editor, build 5.5.316.1. The same behavior occurs with existing documents. Can you please check for similar behavior on your computers?

Thank you.
Last edited by Arnold on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Arnold,

Thank you for the reply. I have tested this on my win-10 desktop and everything seems to work correctly. We will run some more tests in the morning on other OS variations to see if that may be a factor.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Previous post should have read "Fit Width" not "Fit Page". Please try that zoom level.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the info. - it looks like the Fit Width setting is the key, as I now see the same here. I've created a ticket (RT-3388) and passed it along for investigation.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you Will. Glad to know my non-cataract eye is still working. Don't forget you were going to check if anything can be done regarding placing the cursor in the middle of a box easier. Couple of posts up. That is really what I started this thread about in the first place. Then I kept noticing the cursor disappearing thing. Thank you.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Not a problem!
Don't forget you were going to check if anything can be done regarding placing the cursor in the middle of a box easier.
I've marked it on my list of things to bring to our weekly meeting :)

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi All,
I have been notified that this issue has been resolved in the coming build release. I have confirmed that this works in the technical pre-release.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Thank you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin