Bookmarks point to wrong destinations

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

HaPe
User

Bookmarks point to wrong destinations

Post by HaPe »

Hi !
I just took my time to describe my problem with bookmarks.When I wanted to submit my posting I was told to log in (?! - I was logged in....)Anyway my text was completely lost.
Lucky for you guys - here's now the short version without going into boring details about my Christmas presents :lol:

please watch the video
https://youtu.be/ZoUdflvUEhE

Short explanation:
After inserting a pdf into another one bookmarks are mixed up.
A similar problem has already been discussed a couple of weeks ago and it was promised (as far as I remember) that this problem should be fixed with the latest version I downloaded today (PDF-XCHange pro v5.5 Build 316)
Unfortunately the problem is still there.I do need this bookmark feature and heavily rely on the correctness of their destinations.
Without PDF Tools 4 I would be lost.....

HaPe
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Bookmarks point to wrong destinations

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi HaPe,

Thanks for the post - can you please provide a link to the topic in which this was previously discussed? I suspect that this may have been promised for 316 before we were aware that/had planned to split the release into two: the first of these was yesterday, while the second will be a major version update (Version 6) released at the end of the month/early next month.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Will,

I think it was this topic
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... =bookmarks

I didn't follow the whole thread.But at the very same time I already had the problem when inserting PDFs.
When user "David P." mentioned his "Drag & Drop"-problem at beginning of of his thread,I just thought to wait until the next release since there was obviously a general problem with the bookmarks.It seems weird to me that only I and David had/have troubles with bookmarks - so far no one else complained about it.

HaPe
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi HaPe,

Thanks for that - I believe that the issue David describes may be caused by something different and we have seen several other users report the same via email. I believe that that issue should be fixed for the next release, at the end of the month (though can't confirm at this time).

Regarding your issue - I'll give this a test and, if I'm able to reproduce the problem, will pass it along to the Dev. Team. If not, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello HaPe,

Does it reproduce on all types of bookmarks? Or maybe these bookmarks contain named destinations or does not contain them?
If you can, please send me these files to polaringu@tracker-software.com or just attach them to the message - I'll try to figure out the problem and fix it.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Sasha,
I just sent two DropBox links to "polaringu@tracker-software.com".
The files are too big to be sent by email (35MByte/7MByte).
These are the same ones as I used in my Video.
Both files are just a compilation of downloaded Webpages(converted to pdf of course) and datasheets.All bookmarks are created by myself.They work perfectly as long as I do not "merge" the files.If I merge only two files then usually just the one that is added last causes me trouble.
I also noticed something else yesterday: After "undo" and instantly "redo" only the first bookmark of the second file appeared - the other ones of the second file were missing.
I'll try to reproduce it and let you know if this happens again.

Anyway:
thanks to all of you for your quick replies

HaPe
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Sasha,
just reproduced the Undo/Redo-Problem.
I used the same files (see previous posting) and removed the most top bookmarks.
Watching the video should make it clearer
https://youtu.be/5A9HGCV7qQA

HaPe
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello HaPe,

As for the first problem - the problem is with file itself. The second and third bookmarks were generated with invalid GoTo actions that does not point to page object but to page number. Thus the Editor behaves like that (not only the Editor - we've tested this on some other products of other companies - the behavior is the same). So this is a problem of bad converter not the Editor.
As for the second problem - it doesn't seem to reproduce when the root bookmark is present. I've investigated further and found out a small logic problem in the
Insert Bookmarks Redo method in this particular case. I've fixed it and now will do some tests to verify the fix.

HTH,
Alex
Subscribe at:
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Sasha,

regarding the first problem you mean the 3rd-party converter to convert html-pages to pdf ist the culprit?
I was just wondering why it works with PDF Tools 4. Does PDF XCHange Pro include such a converter? - I was just looking through the manual but couldn't find any hint.
==========================
While I was trying to find a workaround for myself (still using the converter) I encountered another small problem(?):
When switching from the bookmarks to the thumbnail pane and trying to move pages up and down via mouse I could only move the page(s) inside the thumbnail frame.So if I want to move (for instance) page 250 up to page 10 I can't do that because there is no automatic windows scrolling.This never happened before in previous versions.
Thanks for fixing the Redo/Undo problem

HaPe
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi HaPe,
While I was trying to find a workaround for myself (still using the converter) I encountered another small problem(?):
When switching from the bookmarks to the thumbnail pane and trying to move pages up and down via mouse I could only move the page(s) inside the thumbnail frame.So if I want to move (for instance) page 250 up to page 10 I can't do that because there is no automatic windows scrolling.This never happened before in previous versions.
I'm seeing the same thing here. I've created a ticket and have requested a high priority status, given that this means that long documents cannot easily be re-ordered. The ticket number is RT-3371.

Sorry for the inconvenience here!
I was just wondering why it works with PDF Tools 4. Does PDF XCHange Pro include such a converter? - I was just looking through the manual but couldn't find any hint.
We offer the Internet Explorer add-in to convert to HTML with PDF-XChange PRO and PDF-XChange Standard. This can also be done using Office2PDF.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Will,
thanks for IE - Tip. I usually use Firefox,so wasn't aware of the Add-in
I gave it a try and compared the converted results.They were almost identical and it was nice to see that there are also options available to avoid image breaks etc...
The only option that was not available was to create a single page.Often a webpage contains all the information for an article inside one html-page.This would be of course to much for a standard A4-page,so it will be logically split into several pdf-pages.
The 3rd-party converter gives me the option to create a single page.It then automatically adjusts the length of the resulting pdf-page.
Would be great if you could make this option also available some time in the future.

HaPe
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi HaPe,

Awesome, glad to hear it!
The 3rd-party converter gives me the option to create a single page.It then automatically adjusts the length of the resulting pdf-page.
I quite like the idea of that myself. I'll put this forward for consideration :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Thanks Will,
and please add an "Thumbs Up" - smiley to your Smilies-collection
:D

HaPe
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi HaPe,

Our forums are essentially restricted by whatever PhBB allows/doesn't allow, but we'll look to see if it's possible :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Will & Sasha,
first of all thanks for fixing the "thumbnail" - problem in the latest release.That was quick.....
Unfortunately I still experience problems with bookmarks pointing to wrong destinations after inserting new pages.
My previous examples referred to pdf-files which I created myself by using a third-party-webpage converter.
With the latest release I gave it another try - this time using downloaded pdf-files.

https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pd ... part-1.pdf
https://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pd ... part-2.pdf

If I insert "arduino-part-2.pdf" to "arduino-part-1.pdf" bookmarks of "arduino-part-2.pdf" point to wrong destinations.Do those PDFs also contain illegal object destinations?

The strange thing is ,that my own created pdf-files and the downloaded pdf-files are perfectly fine when I use a different pdf-editor and open them with PDF-XCHange Editor.
I also mentioned that PDF-Tools 4 handles the files properly.I've never had any problems with that program.

I am a little bit desperate because if the files mentioned are indeed broken how does it make sense to combine files when one has to assume that let's say 50% percent of all bookmarks have to be checked/corrected afterwards?

Otherwise I just like my PDF-XCHange Pro.It's lightning fast (almost forgot about it if hadn't tried the second Editor. today...)and includes so many useful feature which I am very happy with.

HaPe
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello HaPe,

Thank you for the post.

It seems like the named destinations have exactly the same names in both files from your post. Unfortunately, it is not possible to have two different named destinations with the same name in a single document and as a result the named destinations from the second file are ignored and the bookmarks point to the named destinations in the first file.

You can avoid this behaviour by converting all named destinations to regular destinations prior to merging the two files. This can be done from the Editor's main menu -> Advanced -> Bookmarks -> Convert Named Destinations to Regular Destinations.

Regards,
Radi
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Nope that's not the problem - the named destinations are renamed correspondently and are updated in the bookmarks destinations. I didn't have time to answer yesterday.
So the problem is that these destinations are also created by some creator who was too lazy to place the page object inside of them (and placed only page number). Which is not by pdf specification. This results in such a behavior.
We were talking about this yesterday and we've come to conclusion that we will fixup the destinations and actions of the incoming pages data (also link annotations on pages). And probably will make the checkbox that the document where the pages are inserted into is also fixuped. Because in the current sample, the destinations in both documents are invalid. I do no guarantee it will be for this build but I'll add this to my tasks.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi Radi,hi Sasha,
thanks for your replies.

I would be really grateful if you could fix this.I now know that this is obviously not a bug of the Editor.
I am looking forward to see a solution in a couple of weeks or so.For the time being I will be using PDF Tools 4 to merge files.

thanks in advance

HaPe
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)