OCR causes Editor 5.5 (Build 315) Crash

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

OfcPro
User

OCR causes Editor 5.5 (Build 315) Crash

Post by OfcPro »

With the last update, I now have Editor v5.5 (Build 315) and since that update, running OCR crashes the Editor ... always. What can I do?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: OCR causes Editor 5.5 (Build 315) Crash

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello and welcome to our forums.

I am sorry that you are experiencing this issue. Could you please post a screenshot of this crash? Do note that you will need to archive the file in a .zip, .rar, or .7z to post it to the forums.

Please also post a screenshot of your OCR settings.

Which installer is did you use? (Please provide link)

Thank you!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
me.
User

Post by me. »

Hello,

I have the same issue since the last update to PDF-XChange Editor 5.5 (Build 315). :(

I run the update through the update feature of the software itself, so I cannot provide a link.

And there is no screenshot of the crash to post, since there is no error message. :shock: The software closes silently without any further notice, it simply disappears from the screen in the middle of the process. The OCR begins to work, the first few pages are processed and then there is a crash - every single time.

I didn't change the OCR settings recently and in the version before everything worked without crashing. The settings are the same as in this picture in the knowledge base (only that I've chosen a high accuracy):
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/fckfile ... /479/1.png

Is there a (hidden) log function in the software I could turn on and send to you?

Now I will try to install the previous version.

Thank you!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi me.,

Thanks for the post - can you please try OCRing on a different accuracy setting, and also advise on your operating system info. (i.e. Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit, SP 1)?

Also, please send a sample document with which you see this behaviour.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
me.
User

Post by me. »

Hi Will,

my operating system is Win Vista Home Premium SP 2.

I tried with medium accuracy and it crashed, too. I also installed the previous build 314 and had the same issue. I cannot find the builds 313 and 312, they may have been not installed or were installed with the update feature within the software, I cannot check this anymore. So the last version which worked successfully seem to be build 311, since I have this file and could re-install it and everything was fine.

I quickly tried a few test files I made with Word and a PDF Writer, they did work surprisingly with the build 315. So is there an option I could send you a file or link per pm since I don't want to upload them on the forum?

Thanks,
me.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi me.,

Thanks for the detailed info. - the file can be sent to us directly at support@pdf-xchange.com, just please be sure to include a link back to this topic, for reference.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
me.
User

Post by me. »

Hi Will,

thanks a lot for the reply! I've mailed you a file.

Thanks,
me.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the file me.,

I could not reproduce the crash with your file using the latest Editor build on Win 10, so can you please follow the advise from my e-mail and let us know if it helps?

Regards,
Stefan
me.
User

Post by me. »

Hi Stefan,

thanks a lot for your e-mails!

For others with the same problem: As far as we could find out, it's an issue of the 32 bit version (normal and portable), a bug ticket is already created.

For now my resolution is to step back to build 311.

Thanks,
me.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi me.,

Glad I could do at least that over e-mails, and sorry I didn't post in the topic earlier myself.
Indeed it seems to be an issue with the 32 bit Editor.
For anyone out there - if you are on a 64 bit OS - install the stand alone Editor - it will install the 64 bit version and will work properly, and if you are on 32 bit Windows, please revert back to build 311 until we fix the issue in the current one.
The ticket for this issue is:
#3237: The 32-bit Editor and Portable Editor crashes when OCRing.
Thanks you all for your patience while we get this sorted!

Regards,
Stefan
me.
User

Post by me. »

Hi Stefan,

thanks a lot for your kind help! I'm looking forward to hear from you when the issue is resolved. :)

Thanks,
me.
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

Version 315 32 bit seems to work okay in Windows XP. I always scan documents at 300 dpi B&W, with the OCR set to preserve original content and add a text layer. Scanner is a Brother Ink Jet.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the post and info. - we are now aware of the issues and, while they appear to be more prevalent with the 32-bit OCR, it has also been seen with the 64-bit.

The OCR is currently being given a major overhaul, so I would expect to see this issue fixed in either the next release, or the release containing the overhauled OCR. For now, I've not been given any details on the overhaul or for which build it has been scheduled, so I cannot give any further details.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: For anyone out there - if you are on a 64 bit OS - install the stand alone Editor - it will install the 64 bit version and will work properly. . .
Does this mean that, if we have a 64 bit OS, downloading and installing from the Tracker Update or the download link for the PDF-XChange PRO would not install the 64 bit version for some reason?

I want to know for the future. I uninstalled Editor and then re-installed the stand alone Editor as suggested above, and I think the OCR crashing problem went away. I am on a Windows 7 64 bit machine.

Thanks.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello bqxmprij,
Does this mean that, if we have a 64 bit OS, downloading and installing from the Tracker Update or the download link for the PDF-XChange PRO would not install the 64 bit version for some reason?
The Tracker Updater will install whichever architecture the Editor is currently installed in. If you have installed using the .exe (.zip) installer, or 64 bit msi installer, you are running 64 bit.

HTH!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

To anyone experiencing this issue while using the portable Editor, please use the installed version. It can be downloaded here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

HTH!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest