Keep getting (Not responding)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Robert13
User

Keep getting (Not responding)

Post by Robert13 »

It seems like since the last update, Build 315.0 Editor seems to hang up often and I get the "not responding" message.
Is this specific to me or have there been other reports of this? It is when I'm using larger multi page files, the one I'm using right now is 2508 KB.
Snapshot seems to be a tool that brings it on the most.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Keep getting (Not responding)

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Robert,

Can't recall seeing such reports lately, so it is probably specific to your machine.
Can you please go to Edit -> Preferences -> Snapshot tool, and check what DPI it is set to use?
If you are trying to capture whole pages with a very high DPI - this could be using a bit of Ram. Is the PC on which you are using it a powerful one or is it a bit older?

Regards,
Stefan
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

The DPI is set to 400.
The computer is a quad core Intel i7-4770 with 32 GB of ram. Windows 7 Pro.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Does this happen with any file? If it only happens on a particular one - can you please zip it and upload it here so that we can test to reproduce this problem?

I just tested with a few random files here on my machine (Win7 upgraded to Win10) - and could not reproduce this.

Regards,
Stefan
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

Stefan,

After I replied last Friday I started to eliminate possibilities. I removed Snapscan from the taskbar and so far that seems to have been the problem. If I notice the problem again I will send the appropriate file, but for now it seems to have been Snapscan on the taskbar. Who knows why?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Robert13,

Glad to hear you've figured out what was causing the issue. is SnapScan a tools similar to SnagIT or is it a payment method?
I first assumed it is a snapshot utility program, but when searching online I could only find references to a payment tool.
A colleague of mine uses SnagIT - and he has not experienced any issues with it or our products when both are running on his machine, but we've not worked with Snapscan (or heard of it until now), so I can't comment why it was causing this behaviour.

Regards,
Stefan
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

Scansnap is the scanning software for the Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner. I just realized I typed it as snapscan in my prior response.
I think I had snapshot in my head! :(
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the clarification. Is this the latest available driver for your scanner?
Have you tried reinstalling both the scanner and the Editor after it and does that help or as long as that taskbar item for your scanner is present there are problems?

Regards,
Stefan
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

Stefan,

I believe it's the latest version. I don't use that scanner often so It really does not need to be on the taskbar. At this time I'm just going to leave it off the taskbar and see how it all works. If I have more problems, then I'll reinstall both and go from there.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Robert,

Please do keep us posted!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

Just an update, leaving the Fujitsu ScanSnap scanner off of the taskbar did solve the problem.

Re-installing Editor and ScanSnap did not help if Scansnap is on the taskbar.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the update - from the information that we have at the moment, this sounds more like an issue with your scanning software. Do you see the same thing with other applications, or do they work correctly? Please be sure to try this with another application that is the same architecture as the Editor. If the Editor is installed on a 64-bit operating system, it will be 64-bit, otherwise it will be 32-bit.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

It's definitely the scanner software that is the problem. Everything else works fine, form AutoCad to Adobe to an old version of Lotus.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

Just to make sure that I understand 100% - if Scansnap is on the taskbar and you scan with Adobe, AutoCad, etc., there is no issue? But if you do the same thing in the Editor, there is an issue?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

The problem is if Scansnap is on the taskbar I get the "not responding" message in Editor. Of course it does eventually respond. I am not scanning at the time, just taking a snapshot in Editor.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Robert13,

Thanks for the clarification. I will pass that along to Will.

Regards,
Stefan
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

I'm sure it is not an Editor problem, but a Scansnap issue. I have had issues with Scansnap previously, not my favorite program!
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Robert,

If that's the case, then perhaps we'll let this lie unless it should become more of an issue, or if you should begin to suspect that the issue is with the Editor, rather than Scansnap.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)