AutoCAD 2016 PDF - all text has outline rect in PDFXChange?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

drambo61
User

AutoCAD 2016 PDF - all text has outline rect in PDFXChange?

Post by drambo61 »

Hi all,
I'm creating a PDF from AutoCAD 2016, using their internal Publish functions. The PDF is created fine, including the hyperlinks that I want output to PDF. However, when bringing up the PDF in PDF-XChange Editor, all text in the PDF has a bounding rectangle around it? I figured it was just an option to make it disappear, and I can make it go away - which I can - Ctrl - Shift - 8, which "Hides all comments". That leaves the text but gets rid of the bounding rect. Unfortunately, this setting won't "stick", so I have to reset it every time I open any file like this.

I've tried everything I can find under Commenting in the Preferences page, but I can't get the rectangles to disappear from there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Re: AutoCAD 2016 PDF - all text has outline rect in PDFXChan

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

1) I suppose that this behavior to show the comments when re-opening the same PDF or opening an other one is 'by design'.
If you would be able to permanently switch off displaying comments, then you would certainly miss seeing them at a given time.
But, let us wait for a correct answer on this by Tracker Support.

2) If you do not need the comments, you could also think of simply removing them, via the View-menu > Other panes > Comments. Then selecting them and clicking the Delete icon in that Comments pane.

3) Still an other possibility would be to check your 'output to PDF' settings in AutoCad. Probably there is a "Border" setting for indicating hyperlinks, like there is in PDF-XChange 2012 plugins for MS Office. Mostly you can choose between: No border, Underline or Rectangle.

Best regards.
drambo61
User

Post by drambo61 »

Hi Willy,

Thanks for the reply.

I could somewhat understand making this a default, if everything it was showing this way was a true "comment", but it's highlighting ALL text from the ACAD file in this way. Inside the title block, on non-hyperlinked blocks, on standalone text items: everything. That doesn't seem quite right to me, but maybe it's an AutoCAD 2016 thing. This is the first time I've tried output from 2016 in PDF-XChange, so I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Dave
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Guys,

Willy, thanks for your input. I suspect you know more about Auto CAD than any of us on Tracker Support staff.
1) I suppose that this behavior to show the comments when re-opening the same PDF or opening an other one is 'by design'.
That is correct, and by design. It is not likely to change.

drambo61, thanks for your post as well; I was not aware that they had released AutoCAD 2016. Could you please send me the file with these comments? It seems odd to me that there would be what I suspect are rectangle annotations (aka comments) around any text on the drawing output.

Are you using a native "Convert to PDF" function within ACAD, or one of our PDF converters? If so, which one are you using?

To upload a file to the forums, please archive it in a .rar, .zip or .7z. If this file contains personal or proprietary information, please send it to support@pdf-xchange.com with reference to this post in your email.

Thanks!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
drambo61
User

Post by drambo61 »

Hi Patrick,

Yes, 2016 has been out since March.

I've attached the resultant PDF file, which was created by using Publish in AutoCAD, which uses AutoCAD's own internal PDF creation engine. The main function I'm trying to get is to have the hyperlinks from inside the ACAD file stay as hyperlinks in the resulting PDF, which this file has. It's just that when I open the PDF with PDF-XChange Editor Version 5.5 (Build 313.1), I get all text surrounded by rectangles. By clicking Options in the lower left of the status bar in PDF-XChange and picking Comments, then clicking the Options button at the top of the comments sidebar and picking "Show Comments", and finally "Hide all comments", the boxes go away as desired. I need to know how to make that setting "stick".

Technically, there are no added comments in the PDF - everything is a result of publishing from AutoCAD.

Thanks for your help,
Dave
Attachments
URLTest1.zip
(206.55 KiB) Downloaded 91 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. - this is to do with the way that AutoCad creates the PDF. If you open it in Adobe Reader, you should see the same thing.

I believe that we do not show these in the latest release of the Editor, so I would recommend downloading and installing build 315:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

However, other users using other PDF readers/editors will still see these rectangles, so if you want them to stop being placed when in the resulting PDF, you will either need to use a different method of creation, or contact the makers of AutoCAD and request that they stop - I suspect that they have had many such requests, so far.

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Robert13
User

Post by Robert13 »

Autodesk just released service pack for AutoCad 2016 that fixed the problem for me.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Glad to hear that Robert!

Cheers,
Stefan