Devious Editor Updates?  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

matt waddington
User

Devious Editor Updates?

Post by matt waddington »

I have been a devoted used of your software for many years. Periodically I get a pop-up telling me that a new version is available, and I should update, which I always do. Last week I did this, and after updating, I found that my "new" version had eliminated certain functions, such as the ability to combine PDF files, which I do often, within the Editor. This "new" version said that this was no longer an option unless I purchased an upgraded "maintenance" license.

This seemed particularly annoying and underhanded, actually. That you would "update" my software as if it were a security type of upgrade, but then eliminate functions in an effort to get me to purchase something. I used Windows restore point to go back to where I had full functionality, and the software works fine now, as it should, and I ignore the daily "update" pop-ups- knowing that they aren't actual updates.

I certainly would not mind paying a yearly license, or something of that nature, as I think your software is very good. And I would not mind paying for legitimate upgrades or improvements. But this seemed beneath you and devious! And I would never pay for that sort of thing, and would certainly never "update" again.

Am I missing something or interpreting this incorrectly?

Matthew
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Devious Editor Updates?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for the post!

Active maintenance is required to be able to update, without the application reverting to its trial state. However, users are always more than welcome to continue using the build released immediately prior to their maintenance expiration, for as long as they like. Updates delivered by our updater are, by no means, mandatory; automatic updates can be disabled by turning off the Auto Update schedule, in the Tracker Updater settings (though this should be disabled by default).

Regarding the loss of functionality: I'm not aware of any features having been removed and am still able to combine multiple files myself:
Screen-shot.zip
(550.52 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
If you mean that this feature is there, but places watermarks on the resulting document, then this is likely because your maintenance had expired before the release of the latest build. The creation of documents, with the Editor, is a licensed feature, and so requires a license with active maintenance.

If you'd like to email support@pdf-xchange.com, with your license key (in plain text) and a link back to this forum topic, I'd be happy to advise on the appropriate build for your current license, and how to renew your maintenance/upgrade your license.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
matt waddington
User

Thanks Will-

But that frankly doesn't make sense at all (to me). I purchased the software, it works great. Periodically, it asks if I want to update. I do so. I reach the end of what you call the "maintenance period", it innocently asks me if it wants to "update", and then it strips functionality so I can't use the software any longer (yes- it puts watermarks on it- making it unusable).

That is deceitful- I don't see two ways about it. Are there?

If I had received an update notice that said " do you want to update this great piece of software so that it no longer works for you unless you repurchase a license/maintenance program"- would I? Maybe I would- I like the software- but I don't like being tricked.

So I went back to the earlier build with full functionality. Who wouldn't? As a company, it seems up to you to tell me what the heck I'd be getting by updating, and how much that costs, and THEN I decide. Not be tricked into it.

So- is there a good reason that I would re-license versus just keeping the version I have? I am a long time customer, and this negative experience would definitely cause me not to recommend the software- which in the past, I have.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Matt,

Thanks for getting back to us - I'm sorry that you feel that way, but I'm not sure how this could be construed as deceitful? The application informs you that there is an update and, when you attempt to download the update, you are first warned that your maintenance has expired and that your license will not be valid for the release that you're downloading.
As a company, it seems up to you to tell me what the heck I'd be getting by updating, and how much that costs, and THEN I decide. Not be tricked into it.
I would like to point out, that users are sent 3 separate emails regarding the impending expiry of their maintenance, and what this means for future updates/upgrades. Information is also available from the "Product Maintenance Explained" links, on our Buy Now page:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/annual_ ... tions.html
Screen-shot.zip
(91.28 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Also, the cost of the upgrade is visible within your account, on the very first page that users are brought after login.

In summary, the following steps are taken, to show that users are informed:

- Users are offered an explanation of maintenance, and what happens after expiry, before the time of purchase.

- We send out renewal/expiry notifications 30 days before expiry, 3 days before expiry and the day before expiry. These inform users that, should they choose not to renew, they will no longer by able to update for free.

- The Tracker Updater does not auto-update by default.

- The Tracker Updater warns users that the new build will not be compatible with their expired license.

We feel that this should leave users fairly well informed, but are certainly open to any suggestions that you feel could be implemented, on top of the above, or any changes to existing methods.
So- is there a good reason that I would re-license versus just keeping the version I have?
Well that's really up to you, but each new build brings around bug fixes and stability improvements, new features/feature extensions and, very occasionally: security fixes.

As a side note, users can find the installer that corresponds with their maintenance expiry, and the necessary maintenance dates, here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... installers

Thanks,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
matt waddington
User

Thank you again, Will, for your response. I will look at the options of extending the maintenance program, and do not mean to prolong this exchange more then necessary to get my chief complaint communicated, which you are not apparently recognizing. If other users have not echoed this, than I assume its something I am not seeing, or understanding.

I went to the link you provided, which explains the purpose of the maintenance program, which I understand. There is nothing unusual about it, and as stated, it provides users with security updates and improvements so that they do no have to repurchase an entire upgrade later. I understand that, its not uncommon.

However, that is not what happened. What happened is that the last "update" from the "maintenance" program was actually a downgrade. It made at least one common function useless (more as well, I would guess, though I did not look), with the intent of forcing me, if I want to continue using the software, to purchase an extension. I am not quite sure how you can see this as not devious. It certainly is.

If I purchase software, I do not expect that after a certain "maintenance" program expires, that the documents I produce will now have watermarks on them. Unless, of course, I purchased a subscription for the license to use the software, which I did not do in this case. I know of no other software that I use that suddenly becomes dysfunctional because of an option "update". Tracker's did. Your website, nor the email notices, made any suggestion that this would happen.

From the link you provided:

"Note: This does not mean that your current licensed products will cease to function or that the license will expire. Your license will work in perpetuity for the version of the product that you purchased."

Arguably, it did not "cease to function", I could still open the software as a reader- but that is not why I purchased it, and without these basic functions, its practically useless to me.

The correct response on your part (your company's part) would be to not disable functions when the "maintenance" agreement ends, unless this is explicitly explained (show me where it is!), or to move a subscription basis, as other software has done. Maybe "devious" is too strong a word- but I don't see in fact, why you don't see this. If you purchased a car with a free 1 year "maintenance" program, and on the last day you went in they drained all the oil out, or disabled the air conditioning (or whatever), and then said they'd you could have it back if you signed up for another year- what would you think? Is this different?

Anyway- this is one of your long term customers, and promoters, writing this. Not ranting, just telling you my experience. I am not asking for anything, and you can ignore my comments as you like. But I would hope you would forward them on.

Best of luck, Matt
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Matt,

Thank you for the post. If you don't mind, I'd like to continue with your oil change analogy to [hopefully] illustrate what's happened, a little better.

You bought a car from us 11 months and 29 days ago, that included free maintenance for 12 months. You come into our shop for an oil change (update) the day before, or the day that your maintenance plan expires and we service the vehicle for you for free. But six months down the road, you are looking for another oil change (update) and our shop will bill you for it as it is no longer covered by your maintenance period.

In the case with the software, when you ran the update outside of your maintenance period, the installation reverted back to evaluation mode. All the features that were previously there, have not stopped working, they are simply in evaluation mode and will place watermarks on the document when you use them unless you renew your maintenance. Like a car dealership, you are more than welcome to drive your car without maintenance (you can continue to use the product in evaluation mode, or revert to an older build which was released within your maintenance period). Of course software does not deteriorate as a car without oil would, so you are not really at any risk in doing so. The only downside to using an older build is that you do not get any bug fixes, all the new features we release are not available to you, and eventually that version will be incompatible with newer operating systems and/or hardware. For information on some of the key aspects of each update, please check out the link below:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXE_history.html

I hope this helps clear things up for you!
If you'd like to contact us with regards to what the cost implications are of renewing your maintenance, please do email me at sales@pdf-xchange.com with your serial key, and I assist you as best I can!

Cheers!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder »

I was hoping for this to be some kind of bug or misunderstanding. But now as it turns out to be intended behavior, I find this policy rather unsettling.
matt waddington wrote: If I purchase software, I do not expect that after a certain "maintenance" program expires, that the documents I produce will now have watermarks on them. Unless, of course, I purchased a subscription for the license to use the software, which I did not do in this case. I know of no other software that I use that suddenly becomes dysfunctional because of an option "update".
I feel the same way. Only once did I experience a similar negative surprise, with a software that I got for free. But purchased programs usually issue an error or a warning "You are not eligible to update to this version" or "your update plan has expired" or something like that.

What's more, those trial watermarks won't be visible when editing, I may not even notice them until they have been mailed out and re-opened.

So what's the recommended strategy by Tracker to avoid such unpleasant surprises? To always double-check before every update if I am still eligible?
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Guys,

A user is warned both when updating via the updater, or while running a later installer when you are trying to proceed without maintenance.

Please see attachments.

We feel that these are clear and cannot be held responsible if a user failed to read the warnings and updated anyway. If these warnings are somehow unclear, we are open to suggestions.

Cheers!
Attachments
InTheInstaller.zip
(12.66 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
WhenCheckingForUpdates.zip
When Checking for updates
(139.37 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder »

Thanks Patrick

for those screenshots. Relieved to see that this is handled like everywhere else. So I won't have to worry. :oops:
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

As an extra note, you can also see the status of your serial key by going to the registrations section under preferences.

There you will see how many days of maintenance are remaining, the current status of your key (e.g blocked or valid) if you need to renew your maintenance, a link to our website is provided.

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
StoryBoarder
User

Post by StoryBoarder »

Thanks. 8)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)