Feature request - Translation utility

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chiapas
User

Feature request - Translation utility

Post by chiapas »

Hello PDF-XChange people,

I am here, AGAIN, to request a feature. :D

Is that possible for you to design the following functionality:

1. Select a word. Or better, click a part of a word, and it will select the "whole" word.
2. Right click , a contex-menu shows up. Inside, there is a "Translation" item.
3. When this "Translation" item is selected, then show the result of google translation of this word in a panel.
3.(A) Maybe as an another option: show the result as a tooltip. But I don't like this way.

I am not a English native speaker, but I have to read English books very much.
I really like to have such feature!

Please let me know what's your opinion and discuss this request, OK? Thank you!

Best Regards
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Feature request - Translation utility

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello chiapas,

Thank you for the post.

We already have this feature. It is a bit different, but the final result is the same.
Please take a look at the following knowledge base article:
How do I turn my internet search feature into a text translator

Regards,
Radi
chiapas
User

Post by chiapas »

Dear Radi - Tracker Supp,

Thank you, that's good.

But could you talk to the develop team to implement the following "improvements", at least I think.

(1) Add the possibility to assign the keyboard shortcut key to access this function.
(2) I suggest (strongly) that to show the result in a panel inside PDF-XChange Editor, rather than to show the result in a browser. First of all, in current implementation, each time I search a word, it will open a new tab in Firefox. After several search, these tab pages become annoying. Second, change the focus from PDX-Change to browser interrupt the concentration of reading.

Could you discuss this with the develop team, please. And let me know their opinion.

Best
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello chiapas,

Thank you for the post.

You can already create a shortcut to this feature. I tried it and the shortcut uses the last used search provider. So just set up a shotcut, use the translator provider once and then start using your shortcut. Please read the following knowledge base article to find out how to customize your toolbars in the Editor:
How do I Customize toolbars in the Editor

If you are annoyed about losing focus, you can try opening a new instance of Firefox, make it a small window and move it in a place where it will not interrupt your reading when it comes on focus. Once done, just use the translator shortcut, it will send you to the small Firefox window and then hit Ctrl+W to close the current tab (You should leave at least one tab open or Firefox will close entirely).

Unfortunately, at the moment our 'to do' list is quite packed and we cannot afford to dedicate the time and resources to develop a feature that is already implemented in a way. I am sorry if this is not the answer you were looking for, but you already have the tools to do exactly what you want.
chiapas
User

Post by chiapas »

OK.

But I can't find where to set "Google EN -> TW" (which appears when I select a word and right click to make the contextmenu shows up) to an icon on toolbar and then set its shortcut.

Could you give me a hint to do this? I tried "Customize toolbar -> Commands", but I found nothing related to "search provider..."
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

Hi chiapas,
I am not a English native speaker myself and in the position as you.
What I recommend you is to use QTranslate which is an online - translator.
I also recommend you to use WordWeb which can also be used offline but is "only" an English-English-dictionary.
Both programs are available for free and I have used them for years.I would certainly give them a try if I were you.
Just google "WordWeb" or "QTranslate"

Hape
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello chiapas,

The short cut is to "Internet search by"(Please check the attached screenshot), in my case the Ctrl+Shift+Z is my custom made shortcut. It will use the last used search provider.

@HaPe, thanks for your suggestions.

Regards,
Radi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chiapas
User

Post by chiapas »

Sorry to bother again,

The problem is that, when my mouse hover "Internet Search By: ....", it doesn't show any shortcut key hint.
It is different from your screenshot. I need to know, at the first place, how to assign a key combination, say the same as yours, to "Internet Search By:...."

I just need a hint where this setting locates. Thank your for your help .

Best Regards
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Chiapas,

After you create the shortcut. You will need to hover over the option to see the tooltip. Please see attached picture. Note that I have also chosen Ctrl-Shift-Z, however you can choose any keyboard shortcut you like.

If you require assistance in creating the keyboard shortcut, please reference https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... he-Editor-

specifically the section labeled "Changing/Adding Keyboard shortcuts for tools and actions"

When searching for the tool, use "internet Search by". You should see the action listed below the search in the commands tab.

HTH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
chiapas
User

Post by chiapas »

I see the problem now.

My language in PDF-XChange is Chinese.
When I search the command "Internet Search By..." using English,
there is no result.

When I use the Chinese translation of "Internet Search By..." to search,
I found it.

If I change the language of PDF-XChange to English, then using
"Internet Search By..." is ok, it can find this command.

Please see the attachment.

I suggest to allow both English and user selected language to do such kind of search. Otherwise, it is confusing.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello chiapas,

Thank you for the post.

Please note that all strings are always shown in the selected UI language and the search for functions can only search in these strings.
We believe that it is more likely for a person who chose to use a localized version of the UI to use his own language for everything and adding additional strings to every language pack will only make the Editor bigger and slower.
This is unnecessary and it will not benefit most users, but instead will affect everyone with increased size and lowered performance.

Regards,
Radi
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Guys,

I have played around with this and found it quite useful! I have set the language to auto detect when I was creating my search entry:
https://translate.google.com/#auto/en/TEST

This translates any text to English.
Hopefully this will be useful information for someone!

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America