Failed to save application settings

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

alexandreracine
User

Failed to save application settings

Post by alexandreracine »

Hi support,

Each time my client close the software PDF-Xchange Editor, there is an error "Failed to save the application settings. Error system".

1-We have tried to unstall and reinstall.
2-Reboot the machine
3-Give administrator rights to the user (logout, login, and tried again)
4-Give the user full rights to the folder where the application is installed

The result is the same. The error is the same.

This is on a Windows 8.1 professionnal 64bits system within a domain.
This is the latest version of the software.

The software seems to not save any preferences.

So my questions are :

1-Where does the software save it's settings?
2-What rights does it need?

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Failed to save application settings

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi alexandreracine,

Thanks for the post - we've not had any other reports of this, so please make sure that you are using Version 5.5 build 313.1 of the Editor, which is directly available here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip
**This info. can be found under Help --> About[/i] in the Editor.[/i]
If that doesn't help, or you are already using build 313.1, then please make sure that the user has write access to HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor, in the registry, as this is where we store our settings.

Also, please make sure that there are no registry cleaners installed on the system, as they can interfere and cause issues that we have no control over and no way to fix.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
alexandreracine
User

I updated the software from .0 to .1 no change.

I gave everyone and the user full access to HKCU\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor, in the registry, no change.
There are no registry cleaners installed on the system.

The only time the software is working correctly is if I change the compatibility mode to : run as administrator.

Any more hints why this error would be present?

Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi alexandreracine,

Thanks for getting back to me - the error message and the fact that it runs fine, when run as admin., suggests some kind of permissions issue. You've said that no reg. cleaners are installed, but do you have any anti-virus running? If so, could you please advise on the brand?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
alexandreracine
User

Hi Will,

In this company, they use the default Microsoft free antivirus malware software. Should I exclude this folder?
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

Please check if the user has permissions to read, save, delete and create items in the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor and all subkeys.
Also, can you provide a screenshot of that error message ?
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
alexandreracine
User

I'll format the machine since there is another bug on that machine and let you know if this is not working. Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Do keep us posted :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
josephzander
User

Post by josephzander »

Currently, seeing this same error message with PDF-XChange Editor Plus V7 operating in Windows 10.

Every time the program is closed, the error message pops up (see attached screen shot).

PDF-XChange Editor

Failed to save the application settings.

Error [System]: Unspecified error.

This started recently, and may be related to a registry clean that was performed.

The error messages began with my prior installation of Version 6. After updating to Version 7, the error messages continue.

Please advise steps to fix the issue.

Thank you.
Attachments
pdf-xChangeEditor_win10_errormsg_on-aplication-close_020918.jpg
pdf-xChangeEditor_win10_errormsg_on-aplication-close_020918.jpg (8.51 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello Joseph, you said this happened right after a registry clean? we do store a lot of information within registry keys now, could you try doing a full reinstallation, including cleaning out our registry keys?
To ensure you dont miss onf the the Reg file locations double check this while going through the process:

Please go to: Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features in your system and uninstall everything that is published by Tracker Software Products
Once this is complete, please restart your computer.
Once restarted, please go to regedit.exe built into every windows computer. Find it by typing "regedit.exe" in search bar of your start menu.
Please delete the following registry entries. Only the "Tracker Software" folder and all its sub-folders. **Be extremely careful as a mistake could render your computer useless**
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Tracker Software
- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software

You can now close Regedit.
Please make sure there are no Tracker Software folders here: C:\Program Files.
If so, please delete it.
Restart your computer.
Now install the software
1. Please run the following installer: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE7.zip
2. When asked by the installer, please choose PRO version, then, copy/paste your serial key into the field provided. Be sure to use CTRL+V to paste the key.
3. Now complete the installation and restart your PC.
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
josephzander
User

Post by josephzander »

Daniel,

Daniel, thanks for pointing me forward to fix the issue.

I'm assuming there is no easy checklist to troubleshoot the registry entries, and thus a full uninstall followed by a current version re-install is the best solution.

Still wondering why a registry cleaner would play havoc with PDF-XChange Editor. Of course, we are only assuming the error was produced by the cleaner and not some other process in the Windows environment. For example, I removed a faulty printer and installed a new printer during this same time period.

Just trying to think ahead, because I will be using the reg cleaner with some frequency in the future. Naturally, I'd like to know what caused the issue or how to fix it without resorting to ground zero remove & re-install again.

Will report back after the re-install is completed.

jz
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

All of our settings and the like are stored in registry keys, in some cases using a reg cleaner can delete or modify these keys thinking they are not important enough to hold on to. This can cause issues like you've had before here.

Hope to hear back once you're all done!

Support@pdf-xchange.com
josephzander
User

Post by josephzander »

This is a follow-up and report on the re-installation.

Followed directions Daniel provided. Uninstalled the full PDF-Xchange program. However, I added a step, which proved to be unnecessary and possibly ill-advised. After uninstall finished, I used regedit to delete the Tracker software folder and sub-folders located in the root keys HKEY_CURRENT-USER and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. After eliminating the Tracker software remnants with regedit, Windows 10 was rebooted.

Before proceeding to download the current pdf-x-change version, the sequence Daniel outlined was resumed. Using regedit, the registry was checked to be certain Tracker software was removed. Surprise -- during reboot the Tracker software folder tree was restored in the registry root HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. I'm reporting my diversion from procedure so others can take note, it didn't work. If you want to be sure the Tracker software remnants are gone before executing the installation, then use regedit to delete the folders after the reboot as Daniel directed.

Installation of the PRO version with serial key applied was efficient. PDF-XChange operated normally and closed without issue. The persistent Error Message that occurred previously is gone.

In closing, I offer an opinion, the Windows registry cleaning software I use is reputable and trustworthy. It's a safe program, and we really don't know what caused the Error Message reported. What we do know is the error seems to require major surgery, the current PDF-XChange program is removed and replaced with a new installation. It's not a quick fix, but stick to the procedure and you will be rewarded with a solution.

Thank you to Daniel and the forum for providing the remedy.
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Thank you for that :)
As for the registry cleaner, I personally haven't used on in ages, so I'm not sure how they've evolved, but from a security perspective, some older versions of our software triggered false-positives in some security software, its possible that something along those lines is what caused these problems for you as well. maybe not security wise, but something else stemming from that issue. Thankfully we've fixed all cases of false-positives in the latest update, so until we start adding more features again, everything should go buttery smooth!

Have a good one!

Support@pdf-xchange.com