Page 1 of 1

Deskewing

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm
by jeanie kiser
I Have PDF-XChange Editor 5.5 and was trying to locate the option to deskew documents.

I downloaded the User Manual [From: http://www.tracker-software.com/product ... r/download] which states it's for PDF-XChange Editor 5.5, but upon downloading it's for version 3. In version 3, it states that if "Deskew" is checked, it will straighten a skew scanned image, but I am unable to find this option.

I looked under > Edit > Preferences and looked in every category and was unable to find here. Had also thought that it should be under "Rotate Pages" thinking it could be an incremental thing, but there's no option to rotate incrementally... An additional option to choose the degree to which a document is to be rotated would be tremendously helpful.

I've looked all over... Where is this option? [And where is an updated manual?]

The only thing that I did find was to use OCR and have "auto deskew" selected. Is this the only option that I have, to OCR every document and "auto deskew" it?

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:13 pm
by John - Tracker Supp
Hi,

for now there is no conventional 'Deskew' option within the editor other than when scanning - we will consider adding this in a future release - however you can achieve similar results by using the 'Edit Content' tool and select the page in its entirety and then use the 'transform' functions on the main menu to achieve satisfactory results.

HTH

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:00 pm
by jeanie kiser
Hello John,

Thank you for your response. It would be so helpful to have a deskew option/icon at the top of the software to work with.

I would like to clarify the steps for others that may have the same or similar questions:

> Edit Content (top ribbon icon) > Select page you wish to adjust (Click on it) > Object (drop down)
> Transform Selection... > Adjust Rotation and/or Shear by degrees

> Edit > Undo (if you don't like the results)

> Save (if you do like the results)

[Note: when working with the above, everything I tried didn't quite get he results I was looking for. I tried
rotating incrementally by single degrees, but it wasn't what I was looking for. If you go too far, it just seemed
to distort the document.]

If anyone has any additional suggestions, helpful hints or standard settings that might be helpful,
I would really appreciate them.

Thank you,

Jeanie

John - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi,

for now there is no conventional 'Deskew' option within the editor other than when scanning - we will consider adding this in a future release - however you can achieve similar results by using the 'Edit Content' tool and select the page in its entirety and then use the 'transform' functions on the main menu to achieve satisfactory results.

HTH

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 pm
by Will - Tracker Supp
Hi Jeanie,

Thanks for the suggestion - adding an 'after-the-fact' deskew feature may be something that we can look at adding for a later release. I've pitch the idea to the Dev. Team, but ultimately cannot make any guarantees.

For now, if you are not able to achieve desirable results using the Edit Content Tool, then I would recommend rescanning the document, then using the deskew option under the Image Post Processing tab, under Images Insertion Options.

HTH!

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 pm
by jeanie kiser
Hello Will,

Thank you for taking the time to read and follow-up on my messages. I double-checked and had previously selected the "Deskew" option. Adding an 'after-the-fact' deskew feature would be wonderful...

For those needing to find the Image Post Processing, these are the steps:

> Edit (top drop down) > Preferences > Scanner Presets > Images Insertion Options > Image Post-processing
> Select "Deskew"

Thank you! :)

Jeanie
Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Jeanie,

Thanks for the suggestion - adding an 'after-the-fact' deskew feature may be something that we can look at adding for a later release. I've pitch the idea to the Dev. Team, but ultimately cannot make any guarantees.

For now, if you are not able to achieve desirable results using the Edit Content Tool, then I would recommend rescanning the document, then using the deskew option under the Image Post Processing tab, under Images Insertion Options.

HTH!

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:21 pm
by Will - Tracker Supp
:D

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:47 am
by markus lauff
Hi,

I would also need the option to deskew (straigthen / align) the scans.

A simple "draw a line" and rotate the page to this line would be good enough.
(but the existing manual rotate option is not good enough)

Thanks
Markus

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:20 am
by Will - Tracker Supp
Thanks Markus, I'll add your voice to the request!

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:53 pm
by jeanie kiser
Markus,

This is an excellent idea. Thank you for suggesting it.

I sincerely hope that this or something very similar will be implemented.

Thank you,
Jeanie


markus lauff wrote:Hi,

I would also need the option to deskew (straigthen / align) the scans.

A simple "draw a line" and rotate the page to this line would be good enough.
(but the existing manual rotate option is not good enough)

Thanks
Markus

Re: Deskewing

Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:25 pm
by Will - Tracker Supp
:)