Viewer-like typeface identification tool

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ArchStanton
User

Viewer-like typeface identification tool

Post by ArchStanton »

In XChange Viewer there is a nifty tool that allows to see in which typeface the selected text is set (right click > Text properties. Different from the list of the embedded fonts). I haven't found it in Editor, is it somewhere else or just not implemented?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Viewer-like typeface identification tool

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton,

Thanks for the post - I believe that this feature may have been missed. I'll pass it along to the Dev. Team.

Apologies for the inconvenience!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

No apologies needed. Thank you for taking into account my feedback.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Lzcat - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Lzcat - Tracker Supp »

Hi ArchStanton.
Please use Edit content tool - just SHIFT+Click on required text item and you will see font and other details in Properties pane.
Victor
Tracker Software
Project manager

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thank you for the answer but I don't have a Pro license.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello ArchStanton,

No need to have a Pro license to use the feature as Lzcat described. You need the PRO license only if you want to really use the content edit tool and make changes to the content,. If you just click it so that you can see the font used in the properties pane - this can be done without a license as well.

Regards,
Stefan
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Well I've tried to do it: I've selected some text and shift+clicked over the selection, nothing happened, not even with the properties pane or bar open. I've also tried on a word without selecting it, left, right click... but nothing.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi ArchStanton,

Please use the Edit Content Tool to click the text-block once, so that the block of text is selected, rather than highlighted, then right click the text and a properties option should then appear.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Ok, I didn't proceed beyond clicking on Edit Content Tool because the dialog freaked me out but now I see what you were suggesting. It's not as easy as with viewer though as some text blocks include different typefaces so within a textbook I always get a "Font: Mixed", while e.g. on a LaTeX doc I see it's CMR.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi ArchStanton,

You just have to go one step further and click into the text in the text-object.
If the "Properties Toolbar" is active in PDF-XChange Editor, you will immediately see all the text properties in that toolbar.
While the "Edit Content" mode is active, you can easily jump/click to another text-object and click again into to text to see its properties.

May we suggest to Tracker Support to implement the "Text Properties..."-entry into the contextual shortcut menu, like it is in PDF-XChange Viewer?

So many practical features that already have been copied from the Viewer... and it still seems like there a few to do...

Kind regards.
ArchStanton
User

Post by ArchStanton »

Thank you! I had closed the properties toolbar because much too space is already taken up by the middle toolbar...
Yeah, having the Text properties entry in the context menu would be handier, as it would be not having the name of the tool on the toolbar, to make it smaller and less clogged.
Just a couple of suggestions to perfect an already good software. I mostly feel like thanking Tracker for giving it out for free.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Thanks for the post - customization of the context menus is planned, though I don't have specific information on when, for now. Once this is implemented, you should then be able to add this to the right click menu.

I don't think that this isn't something that we would implement by default, as it would add a lot of extra 'lines' to the menu and would make it unusable for many users. Also, this isn't really what this menu was designed for, but is, instead, what the contextual properties menu was designed for.

It may be possible, however, to add the same properties button to the right click menu, that the Viewer had, which would then access font information specific to the selected text.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)