Shell Extensions error - No thumbnails, no preview any more!

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

guebert
User

Shell Extensions error - No thumbnails, no preview any more!

Post by guebert »

Hallo,

today I recognized, that I do not get any thumbnails of PDFs shown by MS Windows 8.1. The preview does not work, either (error in pdf xchange preview provider ...).

I tried to reinstall PDF-X-Change Viewer and (separately) Editor ... no success.

When I install Foxit Reader, I get thumbnails and preview ...

It works, when I uninstall all PDF-X-Change tools and reinstall Adobe reader XI. But after installation of one of PDF-X-Change tools, even with Adobe set as default PDF-reader no more thumbnails and preview.

Any idea?

Michael
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Shell Extensions error - No thumbnails, no preview any m

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello guebert,

Thanks for the post. What is the exact name/link of the installer(s) you used? Also, did you choose "Full installation", or custom installation? IF you choose custom, please make sure that the XCshInfo.dll is installed along with the rest of the shell extensions.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Patrick,

thanks for your reply.
Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote: What is the exact name/link of the installer(s) you used?
The ZIP installier from your Website. Downloaded a few hours ago.
Also, did you choose "Full installation", or custom installation?
Full!

How can I check if the correct file(s) are where they should be and if the reg settings are correct?

Michael
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Michael,

Thanks for the post. Sorry if I am being obtuse, Please provide an example of the installer such as the name (name of the file that is downloaded. E.G. PDFX5SA_LE.zip)

Also, could you please go to Edit-->Preferences-->File Associations and be sure to set the following properties:

This should set the registry keys properly. Have you tried a full uninstall by way of removing the Tracker Software registry keys after uninstalling, then installing anew?

Please make sure that your antivirus is not running when installing the software.

I hope this helps.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Patrick,

I made some screenshots right now to show you the behavior, and now it's completely strange: I have thumbnails again with PDF-XChange Viewer but the Preview is from Foxit ... see screenshots attached.

What I did was: Set all installed readers as default app one after one and make screenshots. At last I set PDF-XChange Viewer again and now it works ... I did not change it back to PDF-Editor, because I don't want to loose the funcionality again ...

Is there anything I can send you to check this?

I used the following URLs to download the installers yesterday:

https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads/PDFXVwer.zip
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/downloads/PDFXVE5.zip

BTW, PDF-X-Viewer says "no alternate pdf viewsers installed" (--> Adobe? PDF-X-Editor? Foxit?)

Michael
Attachments
Neuer Ordner (2).7z
sreenshots
(495.83 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guebert,

Thanks for the post - the Shell Extensions of an application, and the application itself, work independently from one another and so an app can be the default to open a file, but not handle the Explorer previews.

The Editor and Viewer share Shell Extensions, so please open the Editor and go to Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations and choose the "Yes" option, under the drop-down menu for Preview and Thumbnail/i] Handler for PDF's, the click this Apply button:
Screen-shot.zip
(108.92 KiB) Downloaded 147 times
BTW, PDF-X-Viewer says "no alternate pdf viewsers installed" (--> Adobe? PDF-X-Editor? Foxit?)
We only list Adobe as an alternative Reader and we can only do this if Adobe places certain reg. keys in the right places. Also, as I understand, Adobe needs to be installed before us, for us to be able to set this ourselves. You can manually add other applications via the "Launch Applications" section of the preferences.

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote: The Editor and Viewer share Shell Extensions, so please open the Editor and go to Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations and choose the "Yes" option, under the drop-down menu for Preview and Thumbnail/i] Handler for PDF's, the click this Apply button:

When I choose the Editor as default app for PDF, thumnail and preview function is not working ... did you see the screenshots?

You can manually add other applications via the "Launch Applications" section of the preferences.

There is no such section in PDF-X-Viewer. The Viewer says, no other PDF-app installed

The PDF-X-Editor shows Adobe and PDF-X-Viewer installed! So this apps are installed correctly, but the Viewer does not find them.

So no thumbnails/preview with Editor.

No other PDF-viewers recognized, but thumbnails and preview from Foxit with Viewer ... strange.

Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

I was suggesting that you try setting these defaults in the Editor because it is able to differentiate between different defaults, so you can set the default for previews and thumbnails, but you can leave the Viewer as your default reader. I'm not sure if you saw my screen-shot, but picking the Editor to be your default PDF handler will not set the associations for the Shell Extensions:
Screen-shot.zip
(108.92 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
The PDF-X-Editor shows Adobe and PDF-X-Viewer installed! So this apps are installed correctly, but the Viewer does not find them.

So no thumbnails/preview with Editor.
Are you using build 312.1 of both the Editor and Viewer (can be found under Help --> About)? If not, both can be downloaded here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVwer.zip

HTH!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:]Are you using build 312.1 of both the Editor and Viewer (can be found under Help --> About)?
Yes, both are 321.1

When changing only the thumbnail and preview settings in editor, nothing changes. There are thumbnails with viewer symbol and preview from foxit (as I can see foxit GUI).

Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

Could you try doing the following and see it that helps?

1) Type into the Windows Start Menu "CMD" then right click the CMD file and select "Run as Administrator".

2) type this:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions\XCShInfo.dll"
then hit the enter key. Please be sure to include the quotation marks.

If successful, you should see a message saying "Registration successful" or something to that effect.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will,

I got a success-message, but now the preview is gone: (error in pdf xchange preview provider ...).

I opened Foxit Reader, accepted to set it as default reader and the preview iof Foxit is working again. Then I changed the default reader via Windows "open with" "default app" to PDFxViewer and everything works again - reader is PDFx, preview is Foxit ...

Michael
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the follow up. The Shell extension should be working and generating the previews. Did you maybe try to also reboot windows after successfully registering our DLLs?

Or is the way things are working now the way you wanted them?

Regards,
Stefan
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Stefan,

the problem still exists. I ran the update via Tracker Update Tool of Editor and then Viewer (as suggested by the tool) - now thumnails and preview are not working - even after reboot.

I got it working again doing the following steps:

Starting Foxit Reader
Set Foxit as Default App for PDF
Win 8.1 opened a dialog to choose the default app for PDF, I chose Foxit

Thumbnails and PDF-Preview are working immediately! No reboot, not even a restart of Foxit was necessary.

Then I right-clicked a PDF and chose as defaulf app PDF-X-Viewer again.

So PDFs are being opened mit PDF-X-Viewer, but thumbnails and preview come from Foxit ...

Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

At this point, I think a remote session would be prudent - is this something that you would be amenable to? If so, please see this article here, then email support@pdf-xchange.com to arrange a time that works for all of us:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... e-an-issue

Please be sure to include a link back to this topic, for reference.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Hi all,

By reading this whole thread, I wonder if there is a particular reason for Michael to install Foxit Reader AND PDF-XChange Viewer AND PDF-XChange Editor ?

Normally PDF-XChange Editor should do it all on its own.

So, what I should do, to try to make it work, is first un-install all three applications.
In Windows 7, an un-install goes via the Control Panel, Programs and Features, selecting one of the applications and click Uninstall. Probably in Windows 8.1 it is a similar process.
So, please do NOT uninstall by simply removing/deleting the concerning application-folders in C:\Program Files.

After this, reboot the computer, and fresh install PDF-XChange Editor (actually version 5.5 build 313.0).

Finally, check if everything works like it should (default application to open PDF's, thumbnails, preview, ...).
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi Michael,

At this point, I think a remote session would be prudent - is this something that you would be amenable to? If so, please see this article here, then email support@pdf-xchange.com to arrange a time that works for all of us:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... e-an-issue

Please be sure to include a link back to this topic, for reference.

Thanks,
Will,

till the recent update (today) I could do a workaround like this:

(everything as local admin)
PDFX installed
Foxit installed

set Foxit as default app

start PDFX, go to settings, file associations - select to set it as default app ONLY, leave other settings (preview, thumbnails) UNCHANGED

Then PDFX was used to open PDFs, but thumbnails and preview came from foxit.

Since today (update to V6) this workaround does not work anymore. So please help me via remote session. I'll send you the requested form via e-mail and PM.

Thanks!

Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the post - we've received your email regarding the remote, but before we go there, what specifically is the issue that you're experiencing now? Are Foxit's Shell Extensions not working either?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will,

everything (thumbnails & preview) works fine, when Foxit it set as default app. But whenever I set PDF-XChange-Editor to be the app for opening (only, but also when set as default for everything), I loose preview and thumbnail function.

So there is something wrong with PDF-X installation. But I tried to uninstall V6, reinstall V5 - same problem. Uninstall V5, reinstall V6 - same problem. -This is the status quo.

Michael
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

When PDF-XChange Editor is being installed via the MSI installer, you should really have seen/got the option to install the "Shell Extensions".

When you are sure to have installed these "Shell Extensions", then you should best repeat the actions that were proposed in one of the answers of Patrick here above in this topic (and documented with a print screen) on April 21 2015. This means: really confirm via Edit > Preferences > File Associations, that Preview Handler and Thumbnail Handler should be used from the Editor, by selecting and confirming "Yes" for these both items.

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi all,

If Michael is seeing the success message when attempting to register the Shell Extension DLL, then they are successfully installed. If they're still not working, then remote session would be best. I'll continue via email, to set that up.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will,

I was not contacted till now (20:45) and I'm leaving now.

Did you read my mail from 2016-04-27 (see below the part which might be interesting to other users here)?

Michael

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Good news (for me): It works again! Let me tell you, what I did:

I logged on as local admin.

a) Uninstall PDF-X, Uninstall Adobe DC (some components are needed by other software I use)

b) Reinstall PDF-X - Preview/Thumbnails still defect, selecting FoxIT make it working.

c) Reinstall Adobe - Preview/Thumbnails got defect again, selecting FoxIT make it working.

d) Set PDF-X as default app ONLY (leave Preview/Thumbnails unchained).

Now it works also when logging on as domain user.

So the problem is not user-dependent, but a problem of system settings.
It seems, there is a connection to Adobe Reader / using same settings, etc.
Foxit does it (as it seems) completely different and it works!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

Thanks, I'd just seen the email - had some catching up to do with other users before I was able to get to it.

A remote session would still be necessary to determine why this is, so I'll respond directly to your email.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

BTW, same problem after updating from Win 8.1 to Win 10 (1511): After running Tracker Updater and doing the update to 6.0.318.1 thumnails and preview did not work. Same error message as in the subject.

Thank god, the solution with FoxIt reader still works:

Log on as local admin

PDFX installed
Foxit installed

set Foxit as default app for everything

Start PDFX and change settings for file associations: leave everything unchanged under settings etc except Std APP.
Apply (for all users)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello guebert,

Instead of going through another product - did you try the re-registering of the Shell Extensions offered by Will suggested a few posts up? Doesn't that work for you?

Regards,
Stefan
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Stefan,

of course I did. See https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 572#p91924

Michael
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

Thanks for getting back to us - Can you please try replacing your current 64-bit XCShInfo.dll (C:\Program Files\Tracker Software\Shell Extensions) with the one in this link:
http://www.docu-track.co.uk/xcshinfo_20161011.zip

After that, please try setting the preview provider to us and see if that helps.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
guebert
User

Post by guebert »

Will,

I extracted the content of the ZIP file to the folder you mentioned. 2 files were replaced. The I set the Editor to handle PDF previews. The error message is the same as before. I did a "reset" to Foxit as described and the preview worked again.

Michael
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Michael,

As Will suggested, it seems a remote session is required at this point. Please email support@tracker-sftware.com with a link back to this topic when you are ready to set up a remote session.

Thank you!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest