Reducing PDF File Size By Printing It Again

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bqxmprij
User

Reducing PDF File Size By Printing It Again

Post by bqxmprij »

I have used the compression settings with some success.

But, I am slightly confused about one box. What is the effect of checking, and not checking, the ASCII format (Larger File) box? See attached.

My own results indicate that checking it results in a larger file. But, that seems odd as checking all other boxes results in a smaller file.

Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Reducing PDF File Size By Printing It Again

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bqxmprij,

Thanks for the post - this is kind of a 'throwback' to the days of simpler internet, when only 7-bit packets could be sent. While a full description of the how and the why are beyond the scope of this post, it basically converts the binary information to a Hexadecimal representation, allowing for the full byte to be sent, but increasing the file size. It's a bit archaic and really irrelevant in the modern day, so we could really remove it without any real pitfalls.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bqxmprij
User

Post by bqxmprij »

So, leaving it unchecked should result in a smaller file size? I think I discovered this by accident.

If so, that is not very intuitive considering that checking all other boxes (I think) makes the file smaller. Just a thought for revising the options.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi bqxmprij,
So, leaving it unchecked should result in a smaller file size? I think I discovered this by accident.
That's right, it's a very specialized feature that, as mentioned previously, is a throwback to a less sophisticated internet.
If so, that is not very intuitive considering that checking all other boxes (I think) makes the file smaller. Just a thought for revising the options.
It may seem that way on the surface, but the nature of the feature and the underlying functionality does lend itself to being under the compression section, even though the file size spikes. This is why why label the feature with "(Larger file)" - the Dev. Team may well end up removing as we don't believe that it's really relevant in this day and age.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com