Attachment in Outlook can't be shown in XCHangeEditor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

pmalecki
User

Attachment in Outlook can't be shown in XCHangeEditor

Post by pmalecki »

Hi,
In Outlook, opening a PDF-attachment to a message starts an Editor Instance which shows then a message that it can't open the file ("Can't open ...Error [System]: Unknown" , see Screenshot attached).

The XchangeEditor instance started this way can't open any PDF-document!

When I start an XchangeEditor instance from the explorer and then open the file mentioned by the message above, then Editor shows it. The same for any other document.

Do you have any idea about a possible error (mismatch 32/64 bit Environments seen by the instances started different way?)

Regards
Piotr

P.S: XChangeEditor 5.5.312.1
Attachments
2015-03-20_PDF-XChange Editor_15-08-59.pdf
(28.58 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Attachment in Outlook can't be shown in XCHangeEditor

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Piotr,

Which version of Outlook are you using? Have you checked if Outlook is the latest build/update?

Best,
Stefan
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Stefan,

The Outlook 2010 is in Version: 14.0.7140.5000 (32-bit).

I can't tell you if it is in the latest version. I have to ask our IT dept. as they do this job. If it's crucial for my issue, I'll ask them.

Did you ever observed such behaviour before?

Is there a way to activate some logging for Editor, so I could be more precise providing the information for you and possibly myself understand the problem more.

Regards
Piotr
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Stefan,

Actually I have stated that the situation is even worse: XChange Editor startet via Outlook or Explorer can't show any file. The PDF files are opened properly only when I start the Editor from the TotalCommander 64 bit, I'm using as my "work horse" replacement for the Explorer. This was the reason that I observed the problem only for the Outlook, as I didn't use the Explorer to open the PDF files.

So it seems that then Editor is a child process of Outlook or Explorer it is unable to show any PDF-file. When the parent process of Editor is the Total Commander, then it works.

But, finally, the problem may be described: Editor can't open any file showing the message as shown on the screenshot attached.

Shall I install a 32-bit version of Editor?

Cheers Piotr
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

After reinstallation of Editor 5.5.312.1 (64bit) I have conducted another test: Start Editor from Explorer, File / New Document / With blank pages <ENTER>.

Then happens: NOTHING.

Having a properly working Editor a blank page is shown...

Strange... Very strange...

Piotr
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Further investigation shows that the Editor started from Explorer runs in somehow different context as this started from the Total Commander (TC).

In the Editor started from TC I have set UI Language some other the default - it works. Fine. Even after restart from TC is uses this language and works good.

Then I started the Editor from explorer - it doesn't show the language selected under TC, but the Built-In one (English). And it doesn't open any file.

It seems that there is something fundamental what distinguishes the both execution context.

Question: which registry keys are used by Editor? How to check it?

I hope, we will find some reason...

Piotr
pmalecki
User

Post by pmalecki »

Hello Stefan,
I have got the problem fixed: the 64-bit Total Commander corrupts in some way the registry, so it can start the Editor correctly, but when Editor is started from outside it "sees" some incorrect registry settings.

I found it using "reset settings..." in the "Edit" menu after a failed start of Editor from the explorer. After that the Editor started to work from Outlook and Explorer until I started it from Total Commander.

The solution for me is not to use the 64-bit Total Commander. I'll use the 32-bit version instead.

Sorry for the trouble. One experience more..

Regards
Piotr
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello pmalecki,

Glad you found the source of the issue and resolved it! Thank you for letting us know, we will note that in case we see similar behavior in the future.

Cheers! :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America