Rotation of Text Boxes and Typewriter entries  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Victor Warner
User

Rotation of Text Boxes and Typewriter entries

Post by Victor Warner »

As far as I can see it is possible only to rotate Text Boxes and Typewriter entries by use of the mouse (by clicking on the green dot above the relevant tool):

Image.

This is very useful, but it is difficult to control the rotation to a precise degree with a mouse. For example, if I want to turn the TextBox to 90 degrees exactly.

Would it be possible to add in the Properties for the particular Text Box and Typewriter entry a box where the rotation can be set to an exact degree (i.e. so that the amount of rotation be entered by keyboard?)

Or is there a way already to do what I would like to achieve?
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Rotation of Text Boxes and Typewriter entries

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hold down the shift key to rotate the text box in increments of 15­­ degrees
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Bhikku,

Thank you for the information.

It still would be good if Tracker could make this option available from the keyboard (for those who find using a mouse difficult).
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Victor Warner wrote:It still would be good if Tracker could make this option available from the keyboard (for those who find using a mouse difficult).
How are you going to draw a text box without using a mouse. And how are you going to access the Properties toolbar without using a mouse?

You can assign a shortcut to select the text box tool, and the Escape key will select the box to show the rotate handle. What next to rotate it or change it's other properties?

I am definitely in favour of making all dialogues accessible with just the keyboard, but there are limits. When it comes to drawing and manipulating objects, one has to use a pointing device.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Bhikku,

You make some good points. But my point was solely limited to there being a property setting for rotation degree via the keyboard (i.e. to minimise the use of the mouse, not eliminate its use).

FYI: I use a Mac mainly nowadays and in particular a macro program (Keyboard Maestro). It is entirely possible assign a keyboard shortcut to mimic the steps needed to draw a Text Box (i.e. click left-button on the mouse, hold-down the left-button and drag to a specified area and then release the button. I suspect the accessibility features built into Windows can (less easily) do this as well.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Victor,

For Keyboard only use - once the object is selected - go to the main menu -> Object -> Transform selection, and you have a rotation field in there.

Regards,
Stefan
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Stefan,

Thank you for the information. Just what I needed to know.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)