Editor Bug: Signing a PDF/A-2u document breaks the fonts

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ANI
User

Editor Bug: Signing a PDF/A-2u document breaks the fonts

Post by ANI »

I have a document produced with Microsoft Word 2010 which I converted to PDF/A-2u with the PDF XChange plugin within Word. I can open the resultant document with Adobe Reader XI without any problems.

Then I open the PDF/A-2u document with PDF-XChange Editor (PDF XChange 2012 Pro V5.5.312.1), insert a digital signature inside the document and save it. So far so good.

However, when I open the digitally signed PDF/A-2u document, Adobe Reader throws an error message stating that Adobe might not be able to display the page correctly due to an error in the page. Another error message complains that Adobe Reader cannot find or create font 'JVHIVB+Wingdings2'.

If I repeat the process above but use PDF V1.4 instead of PDF/A-2u as the format, no error message are generated.

Could you please verify that this is a bug in the editor and estimate the schedule for the release containing a fix for this?
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Editor Bug: Signing a PDF/A-2u document breaks the fonts

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can we have a sample please ?
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
andrew_weaver_kft
User

Post by andrew_weaver_kft »

Ani, Can you please check the problematic PDF file with a text viewer? Is it start with %PDF-1.2? If yes, then I am already reported it under RT#2924. I had to downgrade to avoid this issue.
Best regards,
András
ANI
User

Post by ANI »

I checked the file and indeed it does start with %PDF-1.2%. So this is the same problem and already a known bug.

Is release 311 still available somewhere to download?

Is there any estimate on when a fix to this bug would be available for download?
andrew_weaver_kft
User

ANI wrote:I checked the file and indeed it does start with %PDF-1.2%. So this is the same problem and already a known bug.

Is release 311 still available somewhere to download?

Is there any estimate on when a fix to this bug would be available for download?
Hi Ani,

Unfortunately there is no public download link for the earlier version, I got it from the support. As I don't know it is public or not, please ask the support for the download link.
From the point when I downgraded, I am not able to use scan from the PDF-XChange Editor and I had to install the virtual printer driver separately from the newest release, because the download link contained only the Editor app.

I discovered this issue when one of my customers reported he is not able to see the content of my PDF file. I just downloaded the original PDF file from the internet and it was PDF 1.4, when I touched it with the Editor, it was saved as PDF 1.2, from this point we were not able to open it in Adobe Reader... So this is a real issue, but I didn't get any estimate from the support when they will fix it. I hope they will fix it asap.
Best regards,
András
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Andrew, Ani,

Indeed we will try to get this resolved asap.

Ani please contact us (support@pdf-xchange.com) for the links. They are not a "secret" per se, but the files are hosted on a limited bandwidth server, so please do not share them publicly :)

Regards,
Stefan
andrew_weaver_kft
User

Dear Support,

Is there any update? (RT#2924)
Best regards,
András
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi andrew weaver kft.

No news yet. The ticket's status is still "New". You should be notified when the ticket is resolved.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
andrew_weaver_kft
User

Is the status of the ticket still "new"?
Best regards,
András
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Andrew,

The ticket was updated march 3rd and a work Item has been started. This means progress as the issued is now being worked on by the appropriate developer.

When the status is changed to "Resolved" you will be notified.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America