Installing/using different versions of Editor side by side

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

asahel bush
User

Installing/using different versions of Editor side by side

Post by asahel bush »

I have a Pro licence for the Viewer, which is only valid up to version 307 of the Editor. Currently I still use the Viewer as my primary PDF application, but I also have version 307 of the Editor installed in case I need to use any of the editing features. Since the Viewer is no longer supported, at some point I might want to switch over to the latest FREE version of the Editor as my primary PDF application. But if I do this, can I still keep using my licensed PRO version 307 of the Editor at the same time? (E.g. by installing the latest FREE version and then running the 307 PRO version as a portable app?) Thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Installing/using different versions of Editor side by si

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi asahel bush,

Thanks for the post - while this is technically possible, we don't currently have any portable version available yet. We hope to release this within the next few builds.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
asahel bush
User

Post by asahel bush »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. If I do use the latest version of the Editor as my main PDF viewer, I would probably want this version installed so that all the shell extensions and other features work. Is there a way to use the 307 build in portable mode or to install it side by side with a later version?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Asahel,

While this is technically possible, we do not support the use of the Editor in this manner, whatsoever and, while I don't necessarily see any way that any harm could be done to your system, I am obligated to make sure that anyone that tries the steps in the attached document, does so at entirely their own risk. We cannot accept liability for any issues, nor do we support or recommend its use.
Create Portable Editor How.pdf
(30.88 KiB) Downloaded 204 times
I would personally recommend that you wait until the next build, as I've just been informed that we are intending to release the first official, portable Editor with the next build release.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com