"Sign Document" versus "Place Signature", Validate all Signa

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Peter2
User

"Sign Document" versus "Place Signature", Validate all Signa

Post by Peter2 »

Hi

a) "Sign Document" versus "Place Signature":
what is the real difference? I tried both and find the same behaviour, and the help file does not solve it either.

b) Validate all Signature:
What should happen here? I tried it with my own signatures, and nothing happened: no messages, no diakogues, ...???

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: "Sign Document" versus "Place Signature", Validate all S

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Peter,

a) "Sign Document" versus "Place Signature"
take a look at this KB that explains this: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... nge-Viewer

b) Validate all Signature:
When you apply a signature in the Editor it forces a save. On returning focus to that PDF the signature is known and already reported as VALID because we know the state of it having just performed that operation. If you close the Editor then open it you will see that the same signature is not validated. This can be seen in the Signatures Pane or by mousing over the signature field. In this case if you then use "Validate Signature" the state reported will change to VALID.

Do note that there is a preference to "Verify signatures when the document is opened." Edit --> Preferences --> Signatures --> Verification --> More... If this is set then Validate Signatures has no effect as it is already done.

I hope that makes things clearer.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Hi Paul

thanks - this is the kind of information I hoped to find in the help-file. :D
But many infos there are "cylce-explaining" like: "The command 'Validate all signature' validates all signatures." :evil:

I got a reproducible crash while moving to the command. I will sent a mail to support.

Peter
PDF-X-Change Pro German
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Peter,

Yes - some of the descriptions are pretty self explanatory, so when we try to elaborate on them -sometimes a "circular explanation" occurs ;)

Looking forward to the report of the crash!

Cheers,
Stefan