Scanning presets

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Scanning presets

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

New post created for Arnold in regards part of this multi topic thread;

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 62&t=23169

specifically;
I created a Scanner Preset called Arnold in version 311. There was a problem with Despeckle that I found and reported. I was told to uncheck the Despeckle box until this new version came out. However if I now check the box, the preference cannot be saved (Arnold_Presets.pdf).

Similar situation with default presets such as Black & White Document. If I change the dpi to 400 and try to save it, it does not work. If I scan without using a defined preset, the program uses "Custom" preset settings, which are the last settings used to scan with. These settings can be changed and used for the next scan just fine (Default_Presets.pdf).

Maybe I do not understand how these are supposed to work.

Attached are 2 files where I scanned in a bank check with PDFX Viewer and with PDFX Editor with Deskew checked on. The Viewer scanned it correctly, the Editor did not. Seems to happen every time with a check in the Editor. Please understand that I did not move the check between scans. It was in the exact same position for both scans. The Editor is actually skewing the scan of the check, the opposite of what it is supposed to be doing. This happened in the last version also.
Attachments
Arnold _ presets_PDF.zip
(643.65 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Alex-Tracker DevTeam
User

Re: Scanning presets

Post by Alex-Tracker DevTeam »

After preset settings is changed, they are treated not as preset but as custom settings.

But you can overwrite these presets by selecting "Save current settings" in the presets combo box, and then selecting the name of the existing preset.

Default presets ("Grayscale document", "Color Image", etc) are read only and can't be overwritten. If you need a modified version of the default preset, you can save it under an alternative name.

Thank you for your remark about our Deskew function. Now you can solve this issue by rotating your documents horizontally, because it works much better with horizontally oriented text. Also you have mentioned that PDFX Viewer did Deskew correctly.

It seems that it was done by scanner software, because PDFX Viewer has no Deskew option. Therefore another solution is to check "Show native UI" in PDFX Editor Scan Properties, and perform the scan with Deskew in the same way as you did it in PDFX Viewer using the Scanner's own options.

Hope that helps
Arnold
User

Post by Arnold »

The Viewer scan definitely did not have Deskew as there is no Deskew feature in the program. I was just surprised that the Editor actually skewed the check when it could not deskew it, and thought you might like to know. I want the check to be scanned just as I described it as I have been doing with the Viewer for years. No big deal. The deskew function just may not be usable in some instances.

Thanks.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Arnold,

Thanks for the comments. The Deskew should be performed on the whole page/image and not just on a checkbox. But certainly - if you do not need the deskew - you can turn that off from the settings.

Regards,
Stefan