Save As Copy doesn't automatically open new file in Editor  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

lknowlton
User

Save As Copy doesn't automatically open new file in Editor

Post by lknowlton »

Hello,
Save As Copy doesn't automatically open the new copy of the file in the Editor. Is there a way to change that behavior? If it can, my end users would be far less likely to permanently alter original documents. (Version 5.5, Build 311.0)
Thank you!

Larry
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: Save As Copy doesn't automatically open new file in Edit

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Larry,

In fact it does - when you use the "Save As" option - notice that the name in the tab changes to the one of the new file, so you are effectively working on the newly saved as copy immediately.

Regards,
Stefan
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello Larry,

In fact it does - when you use the "Save As" option - notice that the name in the tab changes to the one of the new file, so you are effectively working on the newly saved as copy immediately.

Regards,
Stefan
Hi Stefan,
Save As does open it, but Save As Copy does not. I realized I was in error in my original posting and apologize for that! So, would it be possible to add that as an option to have Save As Copy open the new copy?
Thank you!

Larry
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Larry,

I managed to find such a definition of the three Save options:
"Save" - This will save the document without asking for a new name or location. It will over-write the original.

"Save As" - This will prompt you to save the document using a dialog box. You will have the ability to change the file name and/or location. If you choose the same file name and location it will over-write the original. Your working document will be the one you just saved.

"Save A Copy" - This will prompt you to save a 'copy' using the same dialog box as 'save as'. You will have the ability to change the file name and/or location. If you choose the same file name and location it will over-write the original. If you changed the name or location of the document you will be working on the original document not the copy. This means that if you make additional changes and then hit save the original will be overwritten with the new changes, but the copy you saved earlier will be left at the state of the "Save A Copy".
And it seems like these three are working exactly the same way in the Editor - so the "Save a/as copy" is working as intended, and that is the main differnece between "Save As..." and "Save Copy As..." - the first will change the active document to the new file, while the second will not.

Cheers,
Stefan
lknowlton
User

Post by lknowlton »

Hi Stefan,
Thank you for the definitions, I'll put them in as part of my How To's! I do appreciate your assistance!

Larry
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:)
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com