Howto use under non-admin rights?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

winkelmann
User

Howto use under non-admin rights?

Post by winkelmann »

I use V 5.5 (Build 311.0) on a Win7 machine as a normal user. Since I updated to the current version I had no problems.
I installed as admin (1st try) and as normal user (2nd try) through dialog for admin rights.
Even the link cannot be used because it happens - nothing! i edited the link to use as administrator. So the util opens.
Now I can open documents nor by double-click neither by drag-and-drop. I ahve to use File -> open document and search the die tree to open.
What is wrong here?
Goetz
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Howto use under non-admin rights?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello winkelmann,

Thank you for the post. It seems the Editor is not set as your default program. You can set the Editor as default by right clicking on an existing PDF, then gong to "Open With--> Choose Default Program"

You may need administrative rights to make such changes.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

well, yes it is.
I logged in as admin and changed and changed back to confirm.
So as admin all works fine (start, double-click, drag and drop).
As normal user:
- Double-click: I see the PDFXEdit.exe for short moment but it disappears.
- Opening the program (run as admin) works.
- Drag and Drop dows not work
Goetz
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Götz,

Thanks for the post - could you tell me the name of the installer that you used (i.e. PDFX5.exe, PDFXC5Pro_x64.msi, etc.)? Also, could you tell me if this was installed for all users, under the Admin account, or 'locally' for that one user?

Also, is this on a server or within some sort of Active Directory domain, Citrix environment, etc., or is this another user account on one PC? Could you provide your OS specs. (i.e Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64-bit) and details on your setup?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

Hi Will,
As far as I remember (and find on my system) there was the PDFT4_V3_11.ZIP including the PDFT4.EXE

>Also, could you tell me if this was installed for all users, under the Admin account, or 'locally' for that one user?
I did it as admin and on the 2nd try as user under the option "as admin". Both with the same result.

>Also, is this on a server or within some sort of Active Directory domain, Citrix environment, etc., or is this another user account on one PC?
different users on a PC

>Could you provide your OS specs. (i.e Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1, 64-bit) and details on your setup?
Win7 Prof 64bit

Hope this helps...
Goetz
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

PS: The link to the soft was "https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFT4.zip" and came through another thread: "Bad install after upgrade"
Goetz
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

The more I would like a _real_ answer but no "test posts"!
Goetz
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Götz,

Thanks for the post and sorry for the delay - regarding the test post, we were having some issues with the forums and were simply testing whether or not we were able to post. It appears that your thread may have been used for testing.

As for the installation issue, could you please first make sure that you are using build 312.1 by downloading and running the following installer:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

If that doesn't solve the issue, a remote session may be our only option. If this is something that you're amenable to, please see this KB article and email support@pdf-xchange.com with your TeamViewer credentials:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... e-an-issue

Please do NOT post your TeamViewer ID to the forums, as this will allow unauthorized control of your computer.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
winkelmann
User

Post by winkelmann »

Well, after this Update all works fine.
What was the reason for? (nosiness on) :lol:
Goetz
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi winkelmann,

we've had website issues that we are working to resolve now - thus the test posts. Regards what was changed, I could ask the development team for specifics but they are really busy right now and I'd prefer to leave them to their tasks.

Perhaps we should just say "It's working" and move on?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America