Odd behaviour of 'Previous View' command

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Yorkshire_guy
User

Odd behaviour of 'Previous View' command

Post by Yorkshire_guy »

I have a problem with the way the Previous View command in PDF X-Change Viewer (latest version, 2.5.311) works in certain circumstances.

In my pdf file I need the end user to be able to jump from a given text location to a figure on a different page, then return to the original point in the text; in some cases referring back and forth several times. Currently I have hyperlinks embedded in the text for each figure reference – which have been tested and work fine – and I then rely on the Previous View command (Alt-Left, or via the icon on the pages navigation toolbar) to bring the reader back to the text from where the hyperlink was launched.

At a simple level this works. For example on p.9 I have a hyperlink to a figure on p.62: clicking the hyperlink takes me straight to this figure page, then pressing Alt-Left brings me back. The problem arises if I click the hyperlink a second time: the figure page is reached again OK, but the Alt-Left command brings me back to the wrong place! Often this is p.8, rather than p.9. But not always; I have landed on other incorrect pages, and precisely what happens apparently depends on the route I happen to have followed around the file.

This is definitely connected with the repeat use of the hyperlink. If after the first successful jump to the figure page, and back to the launch point, I flip back and forth using Next View / Previous View everything works perfectly. It also works perfectly if I use bookmarks rather than hyperlinks to effect the jumps to the figures. So either of these mechanisms provide possible work-rounds, but if possible I would prefer the hyperlinks to work all the time.

I think this must be a problem with the Viewer and not the pdf, because I can load the same file into Adobe Reader and carry out the cycle Forward-via-hyperlink / Back-via-PrevView as many times as I like, and it never fails. The same is true of other pdf readers also, in fact every one I have tried. Strangest of all, PDF X-Change Editor also does a perfect job – how come the Editor and the Viewer don't behave the same way?

Would be grateful for any help and ideas. TIA, Alan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Odd behaviour of 'Previous View' command

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Yorkshire_guy,

Thanks for the post - could you please send the document that you're seeing this with?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Yorkshire_guy
User

Post by Yorkshire_guy »

Hi Will,

My production file is pretty huge (contains around 70 images) so I'm attaching a zip of a small chunk of it. But this smaller file, which I use a lot for testing purposes, also shows the same symptoms. The corresponding page refs to my OP are: the first hyperlink to Fig.1 is at top of p.2, the figure page it points to is p.8.

If I navigate through from the start of the file, and then cycle the hyperlink to Fig.1 and back to text twice, the second return lands me on p.1 not p.2 - would be interested to know if you can reproduce this.

Thanks, Alan
Attachments
TB2_01Aug.zip
(1.47 MiB) Downloaded 47 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Alan,

Thanks for that - I'm not able to reproduce this here. I would recommend downloading and trying the Editor, as the Editor has now replaced the Viewer and very few (if any) changes will be made to the Viewer, moving forward:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Yorkshire_guy
User

Post by Yorkshire_guy »

Thanks Will, you have basically anwered the underlying query which is whether any further fixes to the Viewer are at all likely.

I have tried the Editor already, and it is the case that the Editor doesn't have the problem I flagged up for the Viewer. The only problem for me is that for my project I really need a portable application which doesn't write to the end user's hard disc or Registry - and right now, it doesn't appear that you have a portable version of PDF X-Change Editor. But I'll keep a watching brief in the hope that this might happen further down the line!

Thanks again, Alan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Allen,

Understood and not a problem! :)

If you're looking for a portable app, I can provide instructions on how to create a kind of 'hack-together' portable Editor. If you email support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link back to this topic, I will get back to you as soon as possible, with instructions on getting that setup.

Please do be aware that while you shouldn't experience any problems, use of this 'hack-together' Editor isn't technically supported.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Yorkshire_guy
User

Post by Yorkshire_guy »

That's a very interesting offer - much appreciated - which I'm happy to take up.

I will send direct email to the support address as suggested, Alan
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hi Allen,

We have received your email and are reviewing it now. Thank you for your patience. We should have those instructions ready for you shortly.

Thanks for your patience!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Yorkshire_guy,

I have sent a document on how to create a portable Editor. Please not that it is a hack. It is not formally supported and comes with the caveat that we hold no liability for any loss incurred from it's use. Use it at your own risk.

Good luck! Let us know how that goes for you?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America