"Find" causes crash and recent list lost

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bob_sun
User

"Find" causes crash and recent list lost

Post by bob_sun »

Hello,

There is one substantial bug with "Find" (not search) function:

Especially when multiple windows are open, "Find" frequently causes all windows to first hang and then crash. After restarting Editor all previous opened files are closed are are NOT saved in the recent list.

I suggest:
either automatically save recent files list as a provision for sudden crack, because at times there are over 10 or 15 files open simultaneously, and it is difficult to re-open each after crash.

debug and try if the "find"-related crash can be corrected.

Hope this can be corrected soon (not met with Acrobat or Foxit) and makes the Editor a even more solid/perfect product.

Bob
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: "Find" causes crash and recent list lost

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Happy New Year Bob,

First can you please confirm that you are using build 311 of the Editor, and if you are:
- Is it some particular (complicated) search string that you are using or is it just a single word search?
- Is the word specific and does it happen only on some files, or on any?
- If it is file specific - can we have the files and the search term(s) user to cause this crash so that we can investigate further?

Regards,
Stefan
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Happy new year!

Actually no particular string (and cannot upload documents). I think it is a programming bug which caused crashing after pressing "ctrl+F", before starting searching. I don't know how to reproduce the bug as a user :(
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

Would you be able to send these documents to us, privately, at support@pdf-xchange.com, or are they proprietary?

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

It doesn't happen only with particular documents, but are common for all PDFs, particular when over 15 or more documents are open.

Since the Editor now allows only single instance of exe, all windows are synchronized and the list of open files can be retrieved by the single parent exe. May I suggest that the "unpinned recent list" is backed up automatically (tedious to click each for many documents), or add a button to do that backup to disk. Then after possible crash/other causes, the backed list is loaded automatically or via another button? The implementation would be just a few lines. The buttons can be added simply in the File menu and would confer the Editor an improved reliability.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

thanks for the update. I would think it better to fix the crash than build in a work around to recover the recents list. One thing to note is that the list of currently open documents is not the same as the recents list. Files open in the current session are stored in the registry and are not applied to the recents list until the program closes. Because of the crash this isn't happening.

I spoke to the development team about this and this resulted in a feature request to be able to save the current session file list to a file. One could potentially be able to build different sets of open files this way and choose from a list which set to open. I have raised a Feature Request around this (internal only) RT#2866: Feature Request : Editor to save current session documents list to file

What I think would be better for you however is to determine why the Editor is crashing on your search, however if you cannot reproduce this then we are going to have a tough time correcting it. Perhaps you can keep an eye on things you are doing and give us some suggestions next time it happens?

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
brian hawkins
User

Post by brian hawkins »

I am having the exact same problem usually 2-3 times per day. Especially seems common when multiple documents are open, and, as stated above, using the Ctrl-F function. OP correctly points out that the actual documents themselves are immaterial as I have had it occur with just about every document.

If there's an error log I can UL next time it happens would be happy to do so, just please provide instructions, thanks.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Brian,

As per my suggestion in the other topic, please do make sure that you're using the latest build (312.1) by checking the Help --> About dialogue. If not, it's available here:
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE5.zip

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
brian hawkins
User

Post by brian hawkins »

Indeed that is my current version.
brian hawkins
User

Post by brian hawkins »

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: PDFXEdit.exe
Application Version: 5.5.312.1
Application Timestamp: 54d92e2a
Fault Module Name: PDFXEditCore.x64.dll
Fault Module Version: 5.5.312.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 54d92e06
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00000000007bb3d2
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: f60e
Additional Information 2: f60ec3859f6c13101f8001675b4158b4
Additional Information 3: 21fe
Additional Information 4: 21fe74bab4fb83ccfe1f2ee87da24756

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid= ... cid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
C:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Brian,

Could you please email a crash dump to support@pdf-xchange.com, with a link back to this topic? I've just tested again and still can't reproduce the issue here.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)