Printing text results in text as curves

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

chesscourt
User

Printing text results in text as curves

Post by chesscourt »

Hi,
I have a big problem with reprinting documents containing ordinary text elements.
I produced a pdf-document eg. with Word2013.
I opened the document with PDF-XChange Editor (PDF-XChange licensed, Version 5.5, Build 311.0).
I did some editing, eg. placing some annotations in the document or changing the page size.
I reprinted the document with different pdf-printers (XChange2012, PDFCreator, PrimoPDF).
In the printing dialogue the "Print as image"-option is not activated, an within the "Rendering options" the "Text rendering mode" is Auto.
With all three of them the result is a document without any text elements. The text elements have changed into graphic elements.
When I do the same procedure out of Adobe Reader I will get a document with text elements as expected.
What can I do out of PDF-XChange Editor to get a document retaining all text elements?
[System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit]
Best regards, chesscourt
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Printing text results in text as curves

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello chesscourt,

Please confirm that you are printing a PDF to PDF? That is not a recommended procedure. If you are reprinting the PDF to create a document with annotation-like objects, I would recommend flattening the PDF by going to Comments-->Flatten Comments.

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Patrick-Tracker Supp wrote:Hello chesscourt,

Please confirm that you are printing a PDF to PDF? That is not a recommended procedure. If you are reprinting the PDF to create a document with annotation-like objects, I would recommend flattening the PDF by going to Comments-->Flatten Comments.

I hope this helps!
Hi,
thank you. I know the "flatten annotations"-function, which is very good and which I use quite often.
But there are some reasons for reprinting a pdf-document again as a pdf-document.
For example sometimes I want to change (extend) the page size of a single-page document in order to add a white margin, and then reprint the document to a standard-sized document, with a printing scale ("Page Zoom") of e.g. 80%.
The result would be a standard-sized document with a new white margin.
Actually it is not a simple text document but a document with text elements and complex graphic elements.
And unfortunately it is not possible to add the margin in the original document out of the source application.

Anyway I wondered why text elements are not text elements anymore after reprinting the document with PDF-XChange Editor but still remain text elements after reprinting with Adobe Reader.
{Despite this problem, the PDF-XChange software was the best thing that happened to me and my regular tasks with pdf-documents.}
Best regards, chesscourt
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi chesscourt,

Thanks for the post - whether or not a PDF has the text rasterized or outlined (printed as curves), depends on whether or not a document has the fonts embedded. If it does, then in order to keep the text information, we would have to install the fonts on the user's system in order to 'teach' the Windows GDI about them. This isn't something that we like to 'just do', but there are some other workarounds, such as converting to PostScript before printing, or temporarily installing the fonts (such as the Viewer did). We do intend to implement the same functionality in the Editor for a later release.

For now, the Devs. have asked if we can get a sample of the original document to test here - is this possible? If you don't want to upload it to the forums, then you're more than welcome to send it to support@pdf-xchange.com, please be sure to include a link back to this topic.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi chesscourt,

Thanks for the post - whether or not a PDF has the text rasterized or outlined (printed as curves), depends on whether or not a document has the fonts embedded. If it does, then in order to keep the text information, we would have install the fonts on the users system in order to 'teach' the Windows GDI about them. This isn't something that we like to 'just do', but there are some other workarounds, such as converting to PostScript before printing, or temporarily installing the fonts (such as the Viewer did). We do intend to implement the same functionality in the Editor for a later release.

For now, the Devs. have asked if we can get a sample of the original document to test here - is this possible? If you don't want to upload it to the forums, then you're more than welcome to send it to support@pdf-xchange.com, please be sure to include a link back to this topic.

Cheers,
Hi,
here I post a simple Word-Doc, a PDF-doc created immediately out of Word, and the PDF-doc created by reprinting the doc out of PDF-XChange Editor.
The same happens to any kind of document when reprinting it via PDF-XChange Editor.
Original PDF created by Word 2012:
This is a text as an example (Word).pdf
(110.92 KiB) Downloaded 75 times
PDF created by reprinting the original PDF in PDF-Xchange Editor via PDF-XChange 2012 driver:
This is a text as an example (PDFXCE).pdf
(111.94 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Another PDF, created by reprinting the original PDF in PDF-Xchange Editor via Primo PDF driver:
This is a text as an example (Primo).pdf
(188.45 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
PDF created by reprinting the original PDF in Adobe Reader XI via PDF-XChange 2012 driver: Another PDF, created by reprinting the original PDF in Adobe Reader XI via Primo PDF driver: Cheers, chesscourt
Last edited by chesscourt on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi chesscourt,

Thanks for those - apologies, I should have specified, we'll need the document that prints fine out of Adobe. Will these documents do that?

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
chesscourt
User

Post by chesscourt »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Hi chesscourt,

Thanks for those - apologies, I should have specified, we'll need the document that prints fine out of Adobe. Will these documents do that?

Cheers,
Done by editing my post.
Cheers.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks! Will test here and pass these along :)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)