How to crop permanantly?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Special
User

Re: How to crop permanantly?

Post by Special »

Hype Train is gaining hype!
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

:lol:
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
Special
User

Post by Special »

I've been playing around with the trial version and I must say I'm rather disapointed in how this works.

Normally cropping went like this.

to

to

My issue was that it just hid the cropped stuff, it was undo-able if you wanted just by setting the crop points back to zero, for me if I crop something I want to discard it, and to change the pdf size of the crop.

Now with the remove outside crop page option, all it does it covers the cropped stuff white.

And if you revert the crops by setting them back to zero you are left with massive white borders

I was hoping that it would change the dimentions of the PDF so the newly cropped page would be something like this

It also seems that the file size also increases which is weird and not of the benefit I was hoping for with this, I mean if you remove 25% of the edges with a crop then the file size should be reduced by 25%~ because there is less document.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Special,

The option to remove the contents outside of the cropped area is new for build 313. This will remove the content as it's supposed to, but what remains on the page needs to be "recreated" as new objects with different descriptions, so it's possible that the file size will not decrease much (e.g. there was one large text block, that when you cropped the page had to be split into two, as the connection between the lines falls in the crop area).

Also the PDF standard is based on other print related file formats, and as such a page could have crop, bleed, trim and art boxes). Cropping the contents means that one of those boxes is changed in size, but the page (the white board on which everything is placed) could still remain the same size. If you want to also remove that white border and make the crop "irreversible" - please after cropping also use the Document -> Resize Pages option.

Regards,
Stefan
Special
User

Post by Special »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: If you want to also remove that white border and make the crop "irreversible" - please after cropping also use the Document -> Resize Pages option.
This is what I would like to do but doing this manually is basically impossible because not all pages share the same crop size, thus needing different page sizes for each page. Maybe this should be a new feature request and I should start a new post, is something like this possible?

Document -> Resize -> Auto resize all pages to crop points.

Something like this would make life easier, and I think it's exactly what I'm after.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Special,
Document -> Resize -> Auto resize all pages to crop points
Allowing the cropping feature to redefine page size is definitely a little beyond the scope and purpose of the crop tool, but this may be something could be discussed. I'll talk this over with my colleagues and will speak with the Dev. Team to see what can be done but, again, I cannot make any promises.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
kdgdr
User

Post by kdgdr »

Hello,

We are an architecture company and produce many drawings on different (non standard) paper sizes all the time.
The most efficient way to do this is to print all drawings in batch to a very large paper size: 914x3000mm in landscape orieantation. This allows us to work efficiently with only one paper size.
This produces one .pdf-file with a lot of pages, each page 914x3000 and each page containing one drawing.
By cropping the pages with "remove white space", we get pages cropped to more reasonable paper sizes.
In any PDF-viewer, the resulting .pdf - as intended - no longer shows the excessive white space.

However, the company that plots our .pdf 's informs us that in their plotting software, they don't see the cropped pages but the original pages (914x3000mm) with excessive white space. They then have to manually crop each page again.

As described in this post it would be very nice to have an extra option in "resize pages": one that inherits the crop box settings, thus permanently deleting the white spaces.
Alternatively an extra option in "crop pages" to delete the white space permanently would be equally or even more efficient.

Thanks in advance & kind regards.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello,

This feature has been requested by a great many users and has been added to the Editor's Crop Pages feature.

I hope this helps!
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
HaPe
User

Post by HaPe »

When I use the cropping feature it works as expected - at least visually.
One would expect everything outside the cropbox has gone.But it is not.
The white spaces(just visually hidden) and the information of the page's original size are still there and it is even possible to restore it back to this size(just use the crop tool a second time on a previously cropped page and you will see what I mean)This is actually a little bit irritating.
I thought when using the option "remove the content outside of the cropbox area" it would be the same as using a pair of scissors and cut around a sheet of paper.

HaPe
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi HaPe

this is because the page size is not modified by the crop function and that is defined by the PDF specifications. You would need to resize the page to change this:
Document --> Resize --> Custom --> cropped dimensions

The "removed" page area is only visible to the crop tool as you say, however, we have decided that we will add a feature "Resize page to cropbox" or something similar. The idea is to keep the crop function and the resize function seperate and discrete but to be able to apply a resize to any existing crop box.

I have raised a feature request for this (internal only) RT#3734: Feature Request : Resize page to cropbox

I doubt this will be ready for build 319, but some time after.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
kdgdr
User

Post by kdgdr »

Hello,

@Patrick-Tracker Supp:
This feature has been requested by a great many users and has been added to the Editor's Crop Pages feature. I hope this helps!
Thanks for your help, but this doesn't do what I meant.

Confirming HaPe 's description, which is exactly my point:
After cropping - even with the "Remove the content outside of the crop box area" selected - the cropped whitespace is merely rendered invisible for PDF-viewers, but not deleted. This is why the plotting company has to manually reproduce the cop procedure for each page in their plotter software.

@Paul - Tracker Supp
... we have decided that we will add a feature "Resize page to cropbox" or something similar.
I have raised a feature request for this (internal only) RT#3734: Feature Request : Resize page to cropbox

I doubt this will be ready for build 319, but some time after.
Great! Exactly what we need, thanks.
- Note however, that this new feature should have an option "constrain proportions" that can be switched OFF (like in "crop pages"). Meaning that it should allow resizing all (selected) pages correctly in batch, even when they have different page sizes. Otherwise a page per page resize would be very inefficient.
- Is there any way we can be notified when this new feature gets implemented, please?

Kind regards,
KD
lev
User

Post by lev »

Check out http://www.noliturbare.com/pdf-tools/pdf-cropper. There are other tools that may be of use to you.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi all,

Thanks for the help Lev!

And thanks for your comments kdgdr - I am sure those will be considered when we work on the ticket!

Regards,
Stefan
kdgdr
User

Post by kdgdr »

Hello Stefan,
Has this feature been implemented yet?

Kind regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi kdgdr,

It doesn't appear that it has been at this time. I'll see if I can get an update on when this might be done. Please note that we don't necessarily guarantee the implementation of any new features, so we don't always offer updates on when they might be implemented. Feature requests are almost always of a lower priority than bugs.

Thanks,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Post by Sasha - Tracker Dev Team »

Hello guys,

This functionality is now implemented and will be available from the next release. The Resize Pages dialog will have this option available (note that the dialog itself may differ from this screenshot in the new build):
Capture3.PNG
Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-TwAMNi1haxJ1FX3LvB4CQ
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

This is great news! Thank you very much Alex.

And from the screenshot I gather that we will be able to resize comments as well, when resizing content!

I shall love that feature.
Keep up the great work!
David
:)
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi David,

Glad you like the news!
Yes - it seems like this from the screenshot :)

Cheers,
Stefan
Special
User

Post by Special »

Sasha - Tracker Dev Team wrote:Hello guys,

This functionality is now implemented and will be available from the next release. The Resize Pages dialog will have this option available (note that the dialog itself may differ from this screenshot in the new build):

Cheers,
Alex
Oh look an Elephant in the room, so when is this next release planned, I need this feature in my life like yesterday.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Special,

That would be build 323 for which there is still no fixed release date.

Regards,
Stefan
Special
User

Post by Special »

So umm... this is still on track for the September release correct?
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Special,

Yes, this feature is already been implemented and is waiting for the 323 release.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Timur Born
User

Post by Timur Born »

Will the crop panel also get standard paper sizes then, like down to A4, letter and the like?
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Timur,

I'm afraid not a this point.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Special
User

Post by Special »

So I was pumped to try this feature out but it doesn't work as expected.

I have hundreds of pages all with their own specific crops, and when I try this feature the images and stuff get squished and just don't look right, I've tried playing with the Scaling Options below but they just make things worse.

In the image it says "Page Box", what is that? I want it to be the "Crop Box". To resize all the pages to their individual crop sizes without scaling anything. Basically I can achieve this by going File > Export... but I want to do all this within the program, without all the extra tedious steps... ugh.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Special,

The Page Box is an intersection of the page's Media box and Crop box and almost always equals the page's Crop box. If something is not working as you are expecting it to, please send us a sample do we can test it and investigate the possible problems if we encounter any.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Special
User

Post by Special »

Here is something to test;

test.7z (PW: PDFX)
http://www73.zippyshare.com/v/sesPePTc/file.html

You can obviously tell how page 3 looks after the resize is done, and even the other images as well, also make note of the before and after sizes of the pages when using the 1:1 view, they are different from the original.
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Special,

Can you please attach them to your post - I'm having trouble downloading from the link that you gave me. Or mail them to the polaringu@tracker-software.com directly.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Special
User

Post by Special »

Guess I had to make it smaller (under 5MB's) to make this work.
Attachments
test.7z
(4.65 MiB) Downloaded 70 times
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Special,

Now it's password protected...

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Special
User

Post by Special »

Same PW, read my previous post...
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Special

It did produce some strange results - I will look at the problem tomorrow at work.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at:
Sasha - Tracker Dev Team
User

Hello Special,

I've found the problem and hopefully fixed it. The fix will be available from the next build though.

Cheers,
Alex
Subscribe at: