Problem with Firefox

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bu61feqo
User

Problem with Firefox

Post by bu61feqo »

Hi,

I installed on my new laptop the PDF-XChange Editor version 5.5. Everything works nice, but I have a little problem with Firefox version 33.0.2.

I want, that online PDF files are displayed in the browser. This works correct, but when I click at a PDF download-link there's a problem. Firefox automatically saves the file. But it should ask me, to save or to open the file. I would also be happy when the file is displayed in the Firefox or opened external in the XChange Editor standalone version.
On my old laptop with the XChange Viewer it worked.

I selected in Tools --> Options --> Applications the XChange Editor (in Firefox) (with the blue lego brick). When I select the standalone one, all PDF files are opened external.

In the PDF-XChange Editor I tried in Edit --> Preferences --> File Associations to select "View PDF files in browers", as it is explained in the knowledgebase (https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowled ... la-Firefox).
But in my version there is no such option, but the option "View PDF files in Internet Explorer". But when I select it, the option will not be saved.

Can anybody help me?

I hope you understand my problem and my English is not too bad.

Thanks
Fabian
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Problem with Firefox

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

In Firefox, press the Alt key to bring up the menu, and open the Tools menu. Click on Applications, and choose PDF-XChange Editor to view PDF Files in Firefox using the PDF-XChange plugin.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the help Bhikkhu!

Fabian - I hope you managed to resolve your problem!

Regards,
Stefan
bu61feqo
User

Post by bu61feqo »

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it doesn't help me. Maybe my English is not good enough to explain my problem correctly. I try it again in other words.

I already chose PDF-XChange Editor to view PDF Files in Firefox in the tools menu in Firefox (as you can see in the attached screen shot). But this does not help me.
When I click on a normal PDF link (e.g. this sample PDF: http://fzs.sve-mo.ba/sites/default/file ... sample.pdf) it views the PDF in the XChange plugin in Firefox. That works correct.

But my problem is with PDF downloadlinks. Unfortunately the only link I find rapidly is in a closed forum. But here is a similar one with a powerpoint file instead of PDF: http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... zA&cad=rja
With my old XChange Viewer firefox ask me if i want to save or to open this file (you can see this in the second picture (in German)). But now with the XChange Editor it automatically saves it. When I clicked at open, then the PDF file opened external in the XChange Viewer an this is the way I want it to be.

I hope you understand my problem.

Thanks,
Fabian
Attachments
Example pictures.zip
(93.56 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Fabian,

If there is a script on the file that forces a file download to start (there can be such a script) - then your FireFox is adhering to this requests and starts the download directly.
Have you tried to click the General tab, and instead of "Save Files to..." click the "Always ask me..." radio button option.
So this way - when a file does not force the browser to be downloaded - it should launch in the Editor plug in directly, and when it's forcing a download - you should see a pop-up asking you to save - but there will probably be an option to also open the file on that pop-up window.

Regards,
Stefan
bu61feqo
User

Post by bu61feqo »

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your answer. I tried to
click the General tab, and instead of "Save Files to..." click the "Always ask me..." radio button option
but now it only ask me where I want to save the file (picture). And not "save or open".
Attachments
Where to save.zip
(89.71 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Fabian,

FireFox is not my daily browser - so I am starting to get out of ideas, but can you please try to return this option to it's default save setting, and then go to Advanced and for PDF files select "Always ask" instead of "user Editor in Firefox".

Regards,
Stefan
bu61feqo
User

Post by bu61feqo »

When I select always ask, then it ask me to save or to open the file. But then it doesn't open normal online PDF fils in the Firefox with the plugin. But this file should open in the plugin.

Should I try to reinstall the XChange Editor?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello Fabian,

I believe that the problem is with how FireFox handles links that say it must download the file and that you want them to instead open directly in the plug-in. As you said yourself that it works OK with other PDF links from other websites.
I suspect it's something to do with the FireFox settings rather than with the Editor plug-in but I am not too sure what other settings might be affecting this.

Regards,
Stefan