Praise for multi-color search results

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Hi,

First I would like to praise the multi-colored highlighting new feature. Combining with split view, customized interface, etc., currently the editor is my favorite and “killer app” PDF reader.

A minor problem is that the explorer preview handling seems not working after 1) restart PC 2) Editor→File Association→”Preview handler for PDF files” set to YES.

Also after setting default PDF application to the viewer or Adobe, the problem still exists. I suspect this the registry has been incorrectly modified.

Please have a look at the screenshot. Does this also happen on your machine?

Bob
Attachments
pdf_preview.zip
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 111 times
David.P
User

Re: Praise for multi-color search results

Post by David.P »

bob_sun wrote:First I would like to praise the multi-colored highlighting new feature. Combining with split view, customized interface, etc., currently the editor is my favorite and “killer app” PDF reader.
True! Words can hardly express how amazing it is to see the new 'Colored Search Results' feature in action.

Before (October 2013)
(PDF-XChange Editor v3.0 with Bookmarks, Thumbnails and Proximity Search with Occurrence Highlighting)

After (October 2014)
(PDF-XChange Editor v5.5 with Bookmarks, Thumbnails and Proximity Search with Colored Search Results)

This is simply awesome -- and reminds me of ...

... something
:)

Keep up the great work!

Regards David
--
PS: I still seem to get thumbnails and PDF previews. However, I have not rebooted yet :oops:
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Ordinary users will need some instructions how to use this feature or they are likely to be puzzled by the different colour highlights if they stumble upon the feature by accident.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Yes, they will be puzzled -- in amazement -- by this feature which is another world's first by Tracker Software :wink:

I gather that nothing could be more self-evident than seeing different words in different color highlights:

Honestly, the only "instructions" you need for this killer feature is instructions how to use your eyes :roll:

I agree however that for some, the (existing and absolutely priceless) concept of "Proximity Search":

...might need a little explanation or first time use hint (that it is there and active when searching for multiple words) -- which however is also readily available in the help manual.

Regards David.P
--
PS: After rebooting, I still get PDF thumbnails and PDF previews (in Dopus), and thumbnails but no PDF preview in Windows Explorer. I am however not sure whether I had PDF preview working in Windows Explorer beforehand, because I never use it there. Additionally, other than in the screenshot of bob_sun, I don't get an error message in the preview pane, but instead an empty white panel.

David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and glad that you like the coloured search results!

Regarding bob_sun's problem with the preview handler - can you please do a full uninstall of the Editor, reboot, and then install from a freshly downloaded installer file (we had some issues with the .exe installer on the release day) - and see if that will fix the file associations?

Regards,
Stefan
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Dear Stefan,

After a reinstallation it was finally restored. Now works fine.

Bob
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Pleased to hear this Bob - thanks.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Since I also "voted" for this feature, I am VERY happy to see it. And, after some quick first tests, the implementation is really nice. Very helpful. Thanks.

Oh, I should add that our sysadmin does not like this.... too many updates.... :lol:

Cheers
Ralf
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Seeker45,

Thank you for the post. we do not typically release updates in such quick succession, and we do apologize for any inconvenience the recent updates may have cause you or your sysadmin.

Cheers!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi Forum and Tracker Support Team,

I believe the time has come for an addition to the awesome feature of automatic colored highlighting of search results, which was introduced about eight years ago. Me (and I'm sure many other users) have been using this feature many times a day for many years.

It would be terrific if it were also possible to permanently apply the different automatic text highlighting colors, which PDF-XChange Editor selects very well from colors that are visually different, to the document after performing a search.

It would then be possible, for example, to use an online word counter such as https://countwordsfree.com to automatically pick any number of the most frequent keywords in one's current PDF document like so (for the attached sample e-book):
harriet weston knightley woodhouse fairfax churchill thought father friend hartfield highbury moment pleasure morning letter feelings subject evening people looked randalls coming martin friends suppose replied happiness obliged family
...then have PDF-XChange Editor automatically highlight these keywords throughout the document with different colors (using Advanced Search with the "Any of these words" option), and finally to fix the colored search result permanently in the document as text highlighters:

Image Image

...however with all the different colors of the search results, which could look like this (in a simple example):
Automatic Multi-Colored Highlighting.png

Thanks very much to the Tracker Team for considering this enhancement to PDF-XChange Editor's unique search feature!

Kind regards
David

Sample e-Book 'Emma'.pdf
(999.49 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hi, David.P

Thank you for the additional suggestion. As per usual, I cannot make any promises for implementation, but I have created a formal feature request for you on this matter:
RT#5638: FR: apply "search" per-word highlight colors permanently

Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Thank you Daniel, this feature will be very useful!

In the meantime, I'll just have to use this external tool instead...

image.png
evermap.com/HighlightText.asp

Thanks for the quick action,
Kind regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com