Disabling Updates

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

ketter
User

Disabling Updates

Post by ketter »

I install Editor through my management software and I don't want users checking for or installing updates until we have tested new versions. Is there a registry setting that I can use to disable updates and hopefully remove any update options from Editor? I was searching, but haven't found anything yet.

This is the latest build - PDF XChange Editor 5.5.309.0

Thanks!
Ken
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Disabling Updates

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello Ketter,

Thank you for the post – The simplest thing I can think of is when you are creating the install string, tou should use the following switch for the MSI installer:
ADDLOCAL=<features list>
Make sure to specify everything you wish to have, if you leave out a component, that component will not install.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Patrick,

I am using the msi installer. But where can I find the "features list". Running the msi with a /? doesn't give me that information.

Ken
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ketter,

You can find the features list here for the Editor installer:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/EUM/de ... stallation

Or here for the PRO bundle:
https://help.pdf-xchange.com/EUM/de ... tches_pro5

I hope this helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Patrick,

Neither of those page includes any reference to the update component in the ADDLOCAL parameter. Can you be a little more specific?

Ken
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hello Ketter

The Help site has not yet been updated. However that should not affect you concerning the updater because you need to omit it from the list to not install it. Updating will be to simply run the new installer on top of the old installation. That method has been used for years by our users. The updater tool is more to simplify the life of our everyday end user.

I hope that helps.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Well, this new update feature is one of the reasons why we cannot switch to 309 yet. I clearly understand the good intention, and I read the nagging posts regarding this feature, but for us as "corporate" users, the update feature is more of a problem than a help.

I have reviewed the referenced help-page, see attached, and this page is somewhat limited in value, because the more tricky parts are not sufficiently explained. E.g., if I specify "F_Plugins" only, does this mean, I am getting all plugins or no plugin? The ADDLOCAL sections cites /COMPONENTS="F_Viewer", but there is no explanation of "COMPONENTS", and there is no explanation why I may want to use this instead of ADDLOCAL. Or should I combine those? Our sysadmin is not the "trial-and-error"-type, and we need to tell him exactly what he needs to install on our terminal servers.

So, maybe the inverse approach will work. Here is the command which I believe should install the Editor, the Browser-Support and the OCR-functionality, make the Editor the default for opening PDF-files, and make pdf-files opened in a browser to be displayed in that same browser:

Code: Select all

PDFXVE5.x64.msi /quiet /norestart ADDLOCAL="F_Viewer,F_BrowserPlugins,F_Plugins,F_OCRPlugin" SET_AS_DEFAULT=1 VIEW_IN_BROWSERS=1
Is this correct?

Thanks!

Ralf
Attachments
Silent Installation.pdf
(51.16 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

I've been buried with other projects and just now getting back to this. I used ADDLOCAL="F_Viewer,F_Plugins,F_OCRPlugin". With this setting the updater is not installed. If I go to Edit, Preferences, Update and select Check for Updates Now, I get a message that the updater is not installed. That works, although I would prefer that the whole Update page be greyed out. Also the setting for "automatically check for updates" does not default to "never" if the updater is not installed. Is there a registry setting that I can push out to change this? Or if the updater is not installed is this setting ignored? I don't want Editor regularly attempting to check for updates and then throwing an error every time it does the check.

Ken
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

To set the option to "never" use a reg file with the following content:

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Tracker Software\PDFXEditor\3.0\Settings\Update]
"i.AutoCheckFreq"=dword:00000004
But if the TrackerUpdate utility is not installed, this option has no meaning.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Ivan,

I just want to cover my bases. So I'll push this setting out anyway. Thanks for the info.

Ken
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Ken,

I'll pass the message along to Ivan, once he's in (he's in Canada).

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
ketter
User

Post by ketter »

Thanks. I appreciate the quick responses on this forum.

Ken
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi,

was my inquiry overlooked or is this still being investigated?

In fact, I made a test in our testing environment without the /quiet option, and I don't see the results I was expecting, please see attached. While I want the browser plugins, they are crossed out in the installation overview.

Also, how do I active "Language"? Is this just the "EDITOR_LANGUAGE"? How do I turn on the "PDF Optimizer"? How do I turn on "Shell extensions"?

Please reply to this and my post above, so we can move forward with the installation of the 309 build. Thanks.

Cheers
Ralf
Attachments
Setup.zip
(55.74 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Seeker45,

when one uses ADDLOCAL then only those items explicitly listed will be installed. Your install string does not specify some features that I believe you need, only the 4: F_Viewer, F_BrowserPlugins, F_Plugins, F_OCRPlugin

You may find it easier to use a Transform rather than use the command line string as you are. Orca is a good tool for creating such transforms.
Download: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... s.85).aspx
HowTo: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/255905/en-us

In the screenshot below is what the "Feature" table looks like for your string. By setting items Level to 0 they will not be installed. as you can see there are a number of features that I think you actually want that are set to not be installed, like F_KeyInstaller - without this the xcvault file will not have the needed associations to be used.

Can you try your install using Orca and let me know if you need assistance?

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

Hi Paul,

never heard of this tool before, and the installation of this tool sounded rather tricky. Fortunately, I found a replacement tool at http://www.pantaray.com/msi_super_orca.html which runs "out of the box". Then, it was straight-forward going from there. I have edited the msi-file, and now it is producing the desired result.

I agree with Ken, that the "Check for Updates" in the menu should be greyed out or completely removed, if the update feature is not installed, but, well, I think that the users will not have a great interest in repeatedly trying "Check for Updates" if they only receive an error... :o

Thanks for your help!

Cheers
Ralf
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Ralf,

Glad that you've managed to get things going. We'll certainly take your comments into consideration.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hey Ralf,

I quite like that Super Orca - thanks for the link!
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke