Where are the security options?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

VanguardLH
User

Where are the security options?

Post by VanguardLH »

PDF-Xchange Editor 5.5 build 308.1
Windows 7 Home

Where did the security options go in Preferences? In PDF-Xchange Viewer, there were:

- Disable/enable JavaScript.
- What filetypes to allow as attachments.
- Disable/enable launch action.

Now there is just the JavaScript security option. I have no option to say which filetypes can be opened as attachments buried within a .pdf file (I allowed only PDFs as attachments within PDFs). I have no option to disable the launch action for an attachment. So PDF-Xchange Editor looks to be less secure than PDF-Xchange Viewer.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Where are the security options?

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello VanguardLH,

Thank you for the post-

These security options have not yet been added to the Editor. They should be coming for build 310. For now you will find document security options by going to File-->Document Properties
We appreciate your patience and understanding while we work to add this feature.
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
VanguardLH
User

Post by VanguardLH »

The File -> Document properties menu is not enabled until a document is loaded. That seems too late, like trying to prevent popups by having to close them after they opened.

Is build 310 in progress so it has a schedule and proposed release date? If the release is weeks away then I'll revert back to PDF-Xchange Viewer until then.

I haven't found an auto-notify option to alert me when loading PDF-Xchange Editor when a newer version is available. I periodically go through my apps to make sure all are up to day but that might be several months apart. Without an auto-notify feature, I'll have to go back to using PDF-Xchange Viewer because my next manual update check is about 2-3 months from now.
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello VanguardLH

Thank you for the post-

The next build is 309, which is due for release in two to three weeks. 310 should come between four and six weeks after that.

Sorry for the inconvenience
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
VanguardLH
User

Post by VanguardLH »

It's now up to build 312 (5.5.312.1) but https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXE_history.html makes no mention of returning the missing security options that were available in in the PDFxchange Viewer product. So I'm having to stick with the older PDFxchange Viewer product. Hope you don't flush Viewer before Editor gets the security options.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi VanguardLH

Thanks for the post - from what I see, the same options are available, just in a different manner that allows for a finer control. You would use the use trusted/untrusted list options to specify these options.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
VanguardLH
User

Post by VanguardLH »

To be clear, then, are there options under the Trusted/Untrusted config that will let me:

- Disable JavaScript inside a PDF? I don't care about scripted forms inside of PDFs.
- Disable the launch action, if any? I never want opening a PDF to launch an action.
- Specify which filetypes are allowed as attachments to the PDF? I only want to permit PDFs to have PDF attachments or not allow any attachments.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi VanguardLH,

Disable JavaScript inside a PDF? I don't care about scripted forms inside of PDFs.
JavaScript is disabled for all PDFs under Edit --> Preferences --> JavaScript. Scripting in forms often IS JavaScript so your choice here will have an impact.

Disable the launch action, if any? I never want opening a PDF to launch an action.
Yes - that is under Edit --> Preferences --> Security

Specify which filetypes are allowed as attachments to the PDF? I only want to permit PDFs to have PDF attachments or not allow any attachments.
You can limit what the Editor opens to PDFs and a list of trusted files, also in [/b]
Yes - that is under Edit --> Preferences --> Security
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
http://www.tracker-software.com