How is the new Editor going?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bob_sun
User

How is the new Editor going?

Post by bob_sun »

Hello,

I am a paid user of PDF-XChange viewer, and I am very satisfied with the 307.2 version of Editor.

However there hasn’t been any update for consecutive 3 months. May I ask when will the new product be released?

Bob
Last edited by bob_sun on Sat May 17, 2014 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Anything happened to the company?

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

LOL - see here for a sensible answer

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 35&t=21589
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

If I may add that "however there hasn’t been any update for consecutive 3 months" is a great quality criterion for use of this product in a company's environment. We would quickly get rid of this product if we had to do updates in less than 3 months intervals :evil:

And, frankly, asking for regular updates without pointing out a urgent need, is quite a finnicky statement. It seems someone is expressing a strong preference for a buggy product where biweekly updates are indeed necessary :roll:

Thus, people at Tracker Software, thank you for not updating so often, and thank you for testing a new release on your end (not on the customers' end).

Ralf
Last edited by Seeker45 on Mon May 12, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the kind words and understanding Ralf!

And John has already replied with some further info on what is happening with the release in the duplicate of this post.

Regards,
Stefan
thomas e komsta
User

Post by thomas e komsta »

> Is the company still in good financial standing? Or has any key programmer left?

Do you really think the employees assigned to this forum are authorized to comment either way on those two questions? If they did, then there might be some key employees leaving. One way all expense paid trip to HR.

[Tried to resist commenting but couldn't....progress, not perfection]
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

As the CEO I think I am 'qualified' and my comments can be taken as being the correct and honest status of the company ...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Dear John,

Would we have the new release by this Friday?

Bob
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

The release is ready now and has been all week - but the web site 'back end' that will handle the issuing of the new serial numbers (for all users with Valid maintenance - or new users buying ..) and allow users to renew maintenance compatible with the new serial number format (if maintenance is expired) is still being fine tuned and tested.

We are working with our web development team and trying to desperately ensure all is complete and robust - but until this is ready we cannot go ahead. If all goes well it will be tomorrow - if not it will be Tuesday at the earliest as Monday is a Bank Holiday here in Canada - so other than essential support staff we will be closed.

Thanks for your understanding and patience.

Best regards
Tracker Support
tseubanks
User

Post by tseubanks »

Thanks John for the explanation!

https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 35&t=21589

I really appreciate your companies efforts to provide both a quality product, and stable back-end support for such a modest price.

I have introduced your products to the firm were I work, and everyone is quite pleased with your software.

There is one thing that I would really like to see added, and that is video tutorials on proper use of your software - especially now that you have a PDF editor. It would be really helpful for new users that had previously used Adobe Acrobat.

Thanks!

TSE
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

Hello tseubanks,

Thank you for the suggestion, however we are focusing most of our efforts towards quality product and support, and we currently can not commit to such a venture for the foreseeable future. There has been talk around the office of video tutorials, and it may be something that we will consider, but I cannot speak much on the matter.

Hope that helps!
John may have more to say on this...
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

OK, since this thread is again at the top of the forum, I might just as well add something:

@Bob, would you please edit your first post and change the headline to something that is a little less upsetting? [hoping that the change will be sticky then, technically spoken]

It makes me feel a little sick :roll: to repeatedly see this thread's headline in the worlds best PDF forum of the worlds best PDF software company that, additionally, offers world class customer support.

Regards David.P
Last edited by David.P on Mon May 19, 2014 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
David.P
User

Re: How is the new Editor going?

Post by David.P »

Tanks very much Bob
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Mattes57
User

Post by Mattes57 »

I prefer having a stable product, not a quick-and-dirty-fortnight-release.

Keep up the good work!
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Mattes57 wrote:I prefer having a stable product, not a quick-and-dirty-fortnight-release.
I want it both ways — a fortnightly beta release so that we can see where the product is going and offer feedback, with a stable release every six months or so.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for sharing your opinions guys!

Cheers,
Stefan
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Dear Tracker-Software Engineers,

Do we actually have a definite date for the new release?

If one looks at the https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXE_history.html:
version 3.0.307.2 release - 17-02-2014 ---- more than 90 days
version 3.0.307.1 release - 08-01-2014 ---- ~40 day
version 3.0.307.0 release - 30-12-2013 ---- ~ 8 days
version 3.0.306.1 release - 08-11-2013 ---- ~ 50 days
version 3.0.306.0 release - 25-10-2013 ---- ~ 13 days
version 3.0.305.0 release - 21-10-2013 ---- ~ 34 days

The latest version seems to have significantly altered the update pace -- too much improvements anticipated with this release?

Bob
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

The .1 and .2 builds were mostly for fixing some bugs introduced in the .0 version - hence they are significantly closer to one another than the major builds.
Yes we are anticipating quite a lot of new features and improvements to existing ones for 308.
In fact the build itself is ready - it's some website functionality that we need to fine tune and make sure that it works properly with build 308 before we can release it.
Today is a day off in Canada so the new build will not be today, but it should be before the end of this week.

Regards,
Stefan
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Dear Stefan,

Is there going to be any update this Friday?

Bob
pice
User

Post by pice »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:As the CEO I think I am 'qualified' and my comments can be taken as being the correct and honest status of the company ...
This post just MADE MY DAY - I am sitting here, LAUGHING OUT - :!: VERY :!: - LOUD in the middle of my fellow administrators. Everybody is looking @ me :shock: , wondering what happened to me.

Your answer could not be more "IN YOUR FACE" than it already is - Cheers to you John :lol: This one goes straight to my Hall of Fame !
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

:lol:
bob_sun
User

Post by bob_sun »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi Bob,

The .1 and .2 builds were mostly for fixing some bugs introduced in the .0 version - hence they are significantly closer to one another than the major builds.
Yes we are anticipating quite a lot of new features and improvements to existing ones for 308.
In fact the build itself is ready - it's some website functionality that we need to fine tune and make sure that it works properly with build 308 before we can release it.
Today is a day off in Canada so the new build will not be today, but it should be before the end of this week.

Regards,
Stefan
Dear Stefan,

Any update on this? Since May 19th (date of the quoted answer) it has been another one week.

Bob
johngates
User

Post by johngates »

In order to work correctly the vi need correct terminal type (TERM) setting .The TERM setting depends on the type of terminal you have . Commonly used TERM types are vt100 , vt220 and ansi . In most cases vt100 will work fine . In case vi is not able to understand the TERM you have given, it starts in open mode giving you a line by line display .
click on app creator to know more and get soloutions
Stefan Steinberger
User

Post by Stefan Steinberger »

I wonder also, where the new version is. We have been told in March, then April, then first of May, then second week of Mai, then then... !!!!!!!!!!!!
Seeker45
User

Post by Seeker45 »

bob_sun wrote: Dear Stefan, Any update on this? Since May 19th (date of the quoted answer) it has been another one week. Bob
Bob,

sorry for barging in, but let me assure you that - I guess in clear contrast to what you have heard so far - repeated inquiries as to when an update will be available, do not expedite the release of an update. Sorry for this hard reality check.

Still, you really made me curious: What is this absolutely critical key feature that you cannot possibly live without that is coming in the next release? I am sure you have a very understandble objective reason for your relentless inquiries.

Thank you.

Best regards
Ralf
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

indeed there have been delays with this build. As mentioned before this is being worked on and tested right now and will be available very soon, meaning days now not weeks.

As Seeker45 put it, nothing other than the work being done by our dev team will make this happen any sooner. I would ask your patience for just a short while longer.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
pice
User

Post by pice »

Perhaps it would help adding an "status indicator" for upcoming releases / updates to your website.

I would not mention any specific date ( not on the website, neither in the forums ), I would use
signal colours, for example:

next bugfix/feature release ( version number ): green 1-7 days, orange 1-4 weeks, red 1-6 months
next major release ( version number ): green 1-7 days, orange 1-4 weeks, red 1-6 months

The thing is - this only works and this only builds trust amongst your customers if it´s always up to
date and if you hold on to the specific values... But this would give you the oportunity to redirect all
whine-threads / nervous people to the website and its status indicator. Maybe a small Newsticker
besides the indicator, with a small update on a daily basis when the status hit the color "green" so
that the users have daily information for the last 7 days of their waiting period...

Just my 123141254 cents :-)

P.S. This kind of status / information works well with our own automated software deployment. Users
always know what´s coming up / what´s taking time...
Will-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will-Tracker Supp »

Hi pice,

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll forward this on to the necessary people.

Cheers,