Print Files too Large

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bob danker
User

Print Files too Large

Post by bob danker »

I printed 9 pages of formatted text to a PostScript printer. All fonts were embedded. The size of the print file was 11 MB, and the printer could not process more than two pages of the file. I printed the same 9 pages using Adobe Reader XI. The size of the print file was 0.99 MB, and the pages printed flawlessly and quickly. I had a similar experience printing a multi-page document to an inkjet printer--the print file was very large, the printer could not process it, and printing from Adobe Reader XI was flawless.

I am waiting for you to fix the bugs in the Editor, and judging from the number of issues posted in this forum, I think I will be waiting a long time. I very much appreciate this product with its many advanced features, and I would like to see it perform in a top-notch way.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Print Files too Large

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the email - could you please upload the file in question and advise on the build of the Editor that you're using? This information can be found under Help --> About.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

Maybe "Print as images" has been checked in PDF-Editor's "Print"-dialogbox ?
This may result in large printfiles.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Good point Willy - thanks :)
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
bob danker
User

Post by bob danker »

"print as images was NOT checked". The size of the print file depends on what PostScript printer you are using. I printed to a LaserJet 1320, LaserJet 8000, and LaserJet 4350, all from Windows 7 Pro 32-bit OS. The files sent to printer by the Editor were at least 10X larger than the files sent by Acrobat Reader XI.

Version of Editor that I used was V 3.0, Build 307.2, Feb. 17, 2014.

I printed pages the attached file (BT -14 The Body of Christ - English.pdf).

Bob
Attachments
BT - 13 - The Body of Christ - English.pdf
(259.01 KiB) Downloaded 258 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

For information.

Did a test with printing all 6 pages of your document to a Canon MP640 printer:
- Adobe Reader XI (v11.0.0) : 513 KB
- PDF-XChange Viewer (v2.5 - build 214.2) : 562 KB
- PDF-XChange Editor (v3.0 - build 307.2) : 18.0 MB

The difference for the Editor is indeed spectacular, and I can not immediatly find a parameter that shoud be causing this.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delayed response - the issue has been reproduced and I've created an internal development ticket to help track the progress of the issue. The ticket number is RT-2482, so please reference this when requesting updates to the status of the ticket.

We appreciate your patience and understanding here!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
bob danker
User

Post by bob danker »

Is the Canon MP640 a PostScript printer? Does it use the Adobe PostScript printer language? I printed the document using the same version of the Viewer (V. 2.5, Build 214.2) to a LaserJet 1320 in PostScript mode (not PCL, HP's printer language) and got a print file size of 10.8 MB.
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Maybe a little bit strange, but I can not tell you what printer language this printer is using.
No way to find this out, no information.

In either case, there is a clear difference in the size of the printfiles when printing via the Viewer versus printing via the Editor.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Can you advise if you have the option 'Print as Image' from the Editor Print window options on or off?

Also if you care to send/attach a sample PDF we will be pleased to take a look and advise further.
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Hi John,
I suppose you are asking this question to me ...
No, the "Print as images" parameter was NOT checked.
If I do - when printing all six pages of the sample file here above (... The body of Christ ...) - then I get a file of 133 MB !!
Compare this with my other notitions for that same PDF (also here above).
Regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

I'm afraid that there is actually very little more that we can do, other than wait from here on out. The issue has been reproduced and a ticket (RT-2482) created, as per my original post. I can't advise on when the fix will be available yet, but it should be within the next couple of builds.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Peter2
User

Post by Peter2 »

Willy Van Nuffel wrote:Maybe a little bit strange, but I can not tell you what printer language this printer is using.
No way to find this out, no information....
Maybe you could "print to file" and
- take a look to the file header or
- use TrID http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html to analyse the file-type

Pter
PDF-X-Change Pro German