IE11 - Open in browser problems

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BobD
User

IE11 - Open in browser problems

Post by BobD »

PDF-XChange Editor 3.0.307.2
Windows 8.1 Pro x64 with update KB2919355
IE11 v11.0.9600.17031
New installation of PDF-XChange Editor

Problem 1
If I install the Editor with all options ticked then PDFs can open in the browser (IE11). If I want to save the PDF then I can only save in C:\Users\MyUserName\Documents\ . If I attempt to save almost anywhere else, I am told I don't have permission. If I save to the Documents folder, Windows Explorer does not show the saved file nor can I search for it. However, the File Save dialog from the Editor does show the saved files and I can see the files have Attributes of AI. In Explorer, I have Folder Options set to display ALL files and extensions. If I copy a PDF into the Documents folder via Explorer then the PDF file is visible.

Problem 2
The page Preferences / File Associations has an option to View PDF files in Browsers but the info popup next to that directs to a web page which shows how to disable (or enable) the BHO in IE for the Editor. Big problem, there is no BHO. The only way ahead is to uninstall the PDF editor and then re-install it without the options to open in the browsers. The logical way to do this is to go to Control Panel/ Programs and Features and right click the entry for the PDF Editor but selecting Change only allows Repair.

Summary
Saving a file from Opening in the browser is not possible and changing to not open in the browser is less than easy.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: IE11 - Open in browser problems

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the post - for problem 1, I would recommend turning Protected Mode off, in IE (Tools --> Internet Options --> Security), as IE sets up a virtual folder structure that can often cause this kind of behaviour.

As for problem 2, this is due the way that IE reports certain types of add-ons, in later versions. With the new build of the Editor (I'm using a pre-release), this shouldn't be necessary.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BobD
User

Post by BobD »

Wow, a phantom folder and it is a true phantom. I can't find it but it ticks the boxes for the symptoms. I am reluctant to turn off Protected Mode so it looks like I stick with no PDF viewing in the browser or go back to PDF-XChange Viewer. The Viewer seems to manage this problem OK and has no difficulty saving "viewed in the browser" PDFs.

The problem with viewing in the browser is sometimes you get no choice to download and then you are stuffed if you want to save the document. :(

Does the paid version of the Editor have this problem with saving "viewed in the browser" documents?
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bob,

Yes that "phantom" folder is explained by one of our devs here:
https://forum.pdf-xchange.com/ ... 272#p81272

Regards,
Stefan
BobD
User

Post by BobD »

Thanks, I'll continue my activities in the other thread.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)