Strikethrough tool very imprecise

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

bob danker
User

Strikethrough tool very imprecise

Post by bob danker »

When I select text using the strikethrough tool, the strikethrough line extends into the next word. I find it impossible to strike through a single word simply by selecting all the letters in the word. A similar thing happens with the underline tool, but it is less pronounced. This unexpected behavior is annoying. It happens in the Editor and in the Viewer. The problem does not seem to occur with the highlighter tool. The strikethrough and undeline problems do not occur in the free Adobe Reader 11, which allows the user to strikethrough, underline, and highlight text with precision.

I apologize if someone else has pointed this out.

Bob
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Strikethrough tool very imprecise

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

can I ask you to send the PDF document in question? This is because the font used on the document may be the cause of this. Take a look at the test page PDF I generated in Windows, it appears to me to be doing the strike-through correctly. The start/stop points for strike-through will be determined by the font. You can get an idea of what it will look like on any PDF by using the select tool and seeing how much space either side of the characters gets selected with the text.

Does the strike-through on my sample document work as you expected?

Can we see your document please?

Sincerely
Attachments
Test Page.pdf
(27.01 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
bob danker
User

Post by bob danker »

Thanks, Chris, for your quick response. I have attached three PDFs: (1) a test doc with no strikethrough markups, (2) the same doc with strikethrough in Adobe Reader 11, and (3) the same doc with strikethrough made in the Editor. In (2) and (3), the same single words were selected. In the case of the Editor, the strikethrough goes beyond the selected word.

That being said, the strikethrough tool in the Editor worked perfectly in the test document that you sent me. I tried it also in another PDF that I created using a sans serif font (Franklin Gothic Book in Adobe Type 1 format). Again, it worked perfectly.

So, I don't know what it is related to my test document that causes the Editor a problem. The font used in that document is a variant of Adobe's Minion (Type 1 format), which is a font with serifs.

I will do a few more experiments with serif fonts and see what the results are.

Thanks again.

Bob
Attachments
Test Document with Markup in Adobe Reader 11.pdf
(35.15 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Test Document with Markup in Editor.pdf
(36.55 KiB) Downloaded 117 times
Test Document.pdf
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
bob danker
User

Post by bob danker »

I tried the strikethrough on several other PDFs, and I reproduced the problem on one PDF that uses the Minion variant (see attached PDFs). However, in another case where the same variant was used, the problem did not occur. I tested several other PDFs that used other fonts, and there was no problem.

Somehow, the Adobe Reader is able to get it right in every case, but the Editor does not perform like the Reader in some cases. It will be interesting to see what you learn from the test PDFs that I sent you.

Thanks again.

Bob
Attachments
Test 2 with Adobe Reader Markup.pdf
(49.18 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Test 2 with Markup in Editor.pdf
(47 KiB) Downloaded 153 times
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks Bob,

I'll have one of the developers take a look at these.

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com