auto update function

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

isc
User

auto update function

Post by isc »

Hi,

where is the auto update function in PDF XChange Editor? It works only
manually? Please tell me, that's not true...

greetings
Chris - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: auto update function

Post by Chris - Tracker Supp »

Hi isc,

A Live Updater is currently being worked on for all products, including the Editor, and should be available in the next couple months.

Chris
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Chris Attrell
Tracker Sales & Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com
libove
User

fully automatic update, no admin nor interaction required

Post by libove »

I'd like to second the request for an (optional, of course) auto-update function. For certain computers, I'd prefer to trust that Tracker won't break things (too badly) and get updates applied fully automatically (as a system service - NO user interaction required, and NO admin privileges required for the logged-on user), vs. having to manage the updates.
I realize that many environments won't/can't do this, but I imagine that some of us would like it.

If PDF X-Change Editor happens to be running when an auto-update is needed, the updater should gently nag the user to restart the program when convenient, to allow the update to apply. If the update is for security purposes or is otherwise considered by Tracker to be operationally urgent (i.e. fixes a major, user- or system- impacting bug) then the bag could have a timeout to force Editor to exit, update, and restart where the user left off, and post a notice in the task tray/notification area about what has been done. (Actually, there should always be a notice in the task tray/ notification area when automatic actions have been completed, so that in case anyone does notice anything new/strange, there will be a likely way to realize that fact).

thanks,
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: auto update function

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello libove,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will pass it along to the people working on the updater tools for consideration!

Regards,
Stefan