Polygon line tool -- with pressed shift key

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

André25
User

Polygon line tool -- with pressed shift key

Post by André25 »

When I use the polygon line tool, with pressed shift key, that creates exact vertically, horizontal or transverse lines. Normally, double click ends the polygon.

But with pressed shift key, there is no normal end possible. There will be ever registred an additionally click. With an arrow at the end you can see the problem -- like attached screenshot.

Cheers, André
Attachments
polygon.zip
(22.68 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Polygon line tool -- with pressed shift key

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

I don't see the problem here. Double-click while holding the shift key ends the polygon, though it won't close it to join the first node, if that's what you're looking for.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
André25
User

Post by André25 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:I don't see the problem here.
Look at the attached picture and you will see the problem.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Andre,

Thanks - noticed where the problem is - when you double click it ends the polyline but ends it with two points instead of the expected one.
I made a ticket for our devs to get this looked into (RT#2452)

Regards,
Stefan
mb-tracker
User

Post by mb-tracker »

I wanted to file this exact problem today, bit found this post and want to bring this to attention again.

The issue still exists in version 10.2.1. And it affects the polygon tool too. See attached screen recording:
- SHIFT for orthogonal editing
- last click is the double click

Expected behavior would be completion of the polygon as it is right before double click. It is deformed instead.

Can support comment on this?

Cheers, Marko.
GIF animation
GIF animation
rakunavi
User

Post by rakunavi »

Hello mb-tracker,

I have submitted the same request in the past, and it would be nice to be able to specify an endpoint with a double-click.

However, even in such a case, you can specify the endpoint without adding unnecessary control points by selecting from the right-click menu instead of double-clicking. At first, I was accustomed to the double-click operation, so I felt uncomfortable operating from the right-click menu, but I am now completely used to it.

• This is a GIF animation. Click to play.
    This is a GIF animation. Click to play.
Best regards,
rakunavi
TOP desires for PDFXCE
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=39665 LassoTool
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=38554 CmtGarbled
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=37353 FulScrMultiMon
forum.pdf-xchange.com/viewtopic.php?t=41002 DisableTouchSelect
selim17
User

Post by selim17 »

I looked for this capability also. If you draw two items. A polygon and a polygon line. Then look at the properties. It is clear that they are two different tools. So, in the background they are two different pieces of code. What you are asking for is: When you are double clicking,... if you have already turned on some sort of "snapping" .... if you also press ALT etc... you want the software to realize that there is a "point" nearby and you want to close what you have drawn up to that point in time ... you want to change the tool for that instance from a polygon line to a polygon; this is probably quite a bit of work. What if the point you are double clicking on is not the origination point of the polygon line etc. etc. ....You could submit a user feedback. I have done so in the past for a multiple of them and they said they will consider. Maybe such functionality is already built in and I haven't been able to find it yet. :?:
TrackerSupp-Daniel
Site Admin

Post by TrackerSupp-Daniel »

Hello, this is a busy topic!
Andre, Bhikku, and MB; Rakunavi is correct on the correlation between these two cases, the information from this older ticket has been merged into the newer ticket created in the thread Rakunavi linked:
RT#5998: When drawing a Polygon Line with a stylus, an unintended point is set as the endpoint.

@selim, Regarding your description, I do not think that is quite what is being asked for here. Functionally, aside from the final action of "closing" the shape (as a polygon is required to be closed while polyline is not), the Polygon and Polyline use the same logic "under the hood".
When you double click/tap to end either them, it should place a single point at the double clicked location, and then prevent additional point placement. This is the issue being seen by many people here today, Double click/tap is placing an additional point before "ending" the draw action.
  • In the case of the Polyline tool, this could mean an open shape (regardless of its appearance/line placement, a poly line is an open object).
  • If you placed the same "double click" endpoint with a polygon tool, it should mark that one point and then draw a line connecting it to the start of the shape.
Kind regards,
Dan McIntyre - Support Technician
Tracker Software Products (Canada) LTD

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Our Web site domain and email address has changed as of 26/10/2023.
https://www.pdf-xchange.com
Support@pdf-xchange.com