Open each PDF in a separate instance

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Sean - Tracker, Paul - Tracker Supp, Chris - Tracker Supp, Tracker Supp-Stefan, Ivan - Tracker Software

alefebvre
User

Open each PDF in a separate instance

Post by alefebvre » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:28 pm

Hi,

Is there an option (or a registry key) to force the Editor to open each PDF in a separate instance? I saw in an earlier post that it could be changed in Edit - Preferences - General. But I don't have a General category in version 306.1

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Antonin

Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Open each PDF in a separate instance

Post by Will - Tracker Supp » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:09 am

Hi alefebvre,

Thanks for the post - I don't believe there is any way to do this automatically, currently, but such an option is coming and should be available in one of the next builds, though I don't have access to any specific dates, currently.

For now, you can grab the tab and drag to where you'd like it, then release the left mouse button and it should now be open in a new window.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com

alefebvre
User

Post by alefebvre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:43 pm

Will, thank you for the quick answer.

Let me explain my issue, maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.

We're using a Document Management system (Open Text). When a file is open, it's locked by the system and when the document is closed, the DM intercept this and unlock the document. If the program crash, the DM will not get the close command and the file stays locked.

In this issue, when I open a second PDF document, in a second tab, in the Editor, the first document which is still open but no longer active get released. What happen then is that if the user clicks on the first document and make changes, these changes are lost. Also, going back to the first document, release the second...

My question is : Since we didn't have this issue in Viewer Pro, how does the Editor manage the switching of tabs and is there a way to change this locally through settings?

Thanks,

Antonin

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi Antonin,

I've just discussed this case with one of our devs, and it seems like we will need the opinion of another dev that's in our Canadian office. We will post back here as soon as we have any further info.

Regards,
Stefan

alefebvre
User

Post by alefebvre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks Stefan!

I'll wait for your answer.

Antonin

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:08 pm

Hi, Antonin.
In this issue, when I open a second PDF document, in a second tab, in the Editor, the first document which is still open but no longer active get released. What happen then is that if the user clicks on the first document and make changes, these changes are lost. Also, going back to the first document, release the second...
Sorry, but it is not clear for me. Now Editor is definitely MDI-application - it can open multiple documents in the same instance and organize them in multiple tabs groups. So, your:
What happen then is that if the user clicks on the first document and make changes, these changes are lost. Also, going back to the first document, release the second...
- is very strange for me. Do you talking here about Editor or about Viewer in Single Document(Preferences/General/Single Document) mode?
In the near future we planning to add support of the single document mode in editor. SingleDocument mode - only one document is opened in the same time and when you open other document the first doc will be closed automatically (if necessary - with asking about saving changes). I hope it will help you..
NOTE: currently we are not planning to support the MultiplyInstances in editor. It means that only one editor's process can be started in the same time and if your DM system detects file-locks by the live-time of editor's process - we will have a trouble because the same, already started, process is reused for each new document.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.

alefebvre
User

Post by alefebvre » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Vasyl,

I'm using Editor v3.0 build 306.1

The opening of multiple documents in tab groups work without issue. Also, opening documents from a normal Windows drive, works fine.

My problem is when the Editor interact with Open Text Document Management. When I click on another document tab, the Editor seem to be sending a close command to the DM and so the document get checked in, in DM (As in no longer open for editing). After that, when the user saves the document, the link to the DM is broken and the document is not saved.

I don't think is an issue with the integration to DM because when opening a single document, I have no issue with opening, saving and closing documents.

While I'd prefer to keep the ability to use opening multiple documents, a single document mode would be a work around.

The question that I have is, since we had no issue with multiple documents open in tab groups in Viewer pro, what changed in Editor to cause this behavior?

Thanks,

Antonin

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:37 pm

When I click on another document tab, the Editor seem to be sending a close command to the DM and so the document get checked in, in DM (As in no longer open for editing). After that, when the user saves the document, the link to the DM is broken and the document is not saved.
It is really impossible - editor cannot release(close) file of opened document even it is deactivated (when corresponding document's tab becomes inactive).
You may check it by microsoft's Process Explorer utility (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 96653.aspx). Enable the "View/Show Lower Pane" and check "View/Lower Pane View/DLLs". Then select in the list above the 'PDFXEdit.exe' item to show in list below an all opened/locked files by editor's process. Here you will be able to see all opened/locked pdfs..

It seems that there is the problem with "Open Text" DM and we must investigate it to be sure..
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.

alefebvre
User

Post by alefebvre » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Vasyl,

I tested with the Process Explorer and the Editor does keep the file, in the Temp folder, open. The DM makes a copy of open files in a Temp folder and when the file is close, it copies the file in Temp to the File Server. I'll check our Interception settings, maybe we changed something when we moved from Viewer to Editor. Since Open Text only support Acrobat, we have to do custom integrations...

Without putting pressure, do you have any idea when a "Single Document Mode" could be available?

Thanks,

Antonin

Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Antonin,

I've asked Vasyl to follow up on this when he gets to the office (It's currently 4:47 AM where he is).

Regards,
Stefan

Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:51 am

Hi, Antonin.
I tested with the Process Explorer and the Editor does keep the file, in the Temp folder, open. The DM makes a copy of open files in a Temp folder and when the file is close, it copies the file in Temp to the File Server. I'll check our Interception settings, maybe we changed something when we moved from Viewer to Editor. Since Open Text only support Acrobat, we have to do custom integrations...
Thanks for additional info. Now we investigating it also...
Without putting pressure, do you have any idea when a "Single Document Mode" could be available?
Not in upcoming build, but I hope - in one of nearest builds.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Project Developer