Feature suggestions for Editor

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

christian kuhlmann
User

Feature suggestions for Editor

Post by christian kuhlmann »

I realize the editor is work in progress, but I just wanted to point out the features that I miss the most, as well as some ideas for new ones.

Missed, but possibly planned:
  • Toolbar customization
  • Tool presets
  • Tab thumbnails on hover
  • Hide tab-bar for single document
  • Toggle area for side bar
  • Open file with application (please, allow to add applications)
And some features that might be new:
  • Mouse gestures (like Opera) for close, minimize and duplicate tab
  • Right mouse button + Scroll-Wheel switches through tabs (again, like Opera)
  • Magnifying glass that only enlarges a small part of the document (like in Adobe reader). This is extremely useful to inspect small details in graphics without losing the context (the full document is still visible)
  • Zoom to mouse cursor position: Use Zooming (ctrl + wheel) to navigate the page. The mouse cursor should stay at exactly the same position on the page during zooming. (like Corel does this). Maybe as an option or with a modifier key (ctrl+shift+wheel) if the standard behaviour should be kept
  • automatic transition between single page mode and continuous page mode dependent on zoom level:
    • Only a part of a page is visible: single page mode: mouse wheel scrolls and changes to next/previous page at the bottom/top.
    • One full page is on the screen: single page mode (mouse wheel navigates to the previous/next page).
    • More than one page is visible: continuous mode: Mouse wheel scrolls up/down
    This would work pretty well together with zoom to mouse position. Ctrl+Mouse could be used to switch through the modes. This would make for very fast navigation.
  • Show search results as color bars within the scroll bar (or next to it) at the position of the match within the document. This is something many IDEs provide and it's really fast to navigate within a document with this enhancement. Hovering the bars could show the matched keyword within its context for this hit (allows to find the right page without having to navigate through pages)
  • Option to Auto-hide side planes or make them sticky
I'm really looking forward to the next versions of the editor. I hope you keep up the good work and keep improving the editor.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Feature suggestions for Editor

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Christian,

Thanks for the post and the suggestions - they will certainly be looked at and the practicality of their implementation evaluated, though please note that I cannot guarantee their implementation.

Please also note that, for now, the Dev. Team's focus is almost entirely on porting the last of the features of the Viewer over to the Editor, so if any are to be implemented, it's likely to be in the long[ish] term.

UI customization is planned for the next build.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com