New window/new tab with same document  SOLVED

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BenjaminCS
User

New window/new tab with same document

Post by BenjaminCS »

This is a very useful feature in Microsoft Word/Visual Studio/many editors, to have the same document opened twice or several times.

Is it possible in PDF-Xchange Viewer or Editor? In Editor, there is Window menu > "New Window", which is the usual name for that feature, but it's always grayed.

Thank you.
PDF-XChange Viewer Pro 5.5 build 310
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: New window/new tab with same document

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Have you tried the Split feature?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
BenjaminCS
User

Post by BenjaminCS »

Thanks, I saw that but the lack of space makes everything cramped, I don't find it very convenient, why not make another tab to give a full window to the document, like many editors do...

I am hoping that New Window in the Window menu will do that but maybe the reason it's always gray is that it isn't implemented yet, Editor is still new.

However this is not a high priority feature for me, I'd rather see the developers work on Hebrew and Right To Left support (copy/paste, search, correct Hebrew vowels), because that is not just about convenience, it's an absolute necessity without which PDF-XChange Editor is unusable if you work with Hebrew or other RTL languages.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi BenjaminCS,

To use the Windowed feature, you will need to turn off Tabbed Documents under General section of the Preferences (Ctrl + K). Once that's turned off, you should then be able to set the Windowed view.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BenjaminCS
User

Post by BenjaminCS »

Thanks but do you mean in Editor? I can't see any "General" section in the preferences of Editor (3.0 build 306). I can see that in Viewer and I can uncheck Tabbed Documents, but the New Window command in the Window menu exists only in Editor, not in Viewer...
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi BenjaminCS,

The directions that I gave were for the Viewer, as I believed that you were asking after this feature in the Viewer.

In the Editor, multiple instances have not been implemented, so currently the best way to do what you need would be through use of the split function.

Also, we are going to be implementing the ability to open the same document in multiple frames of the Editor - this can currently be done for different documents by 'grabbing' a tab and dragging it outside the current frame of the Editor.

Cheers, hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
BenjaminCS
User

Post by BenjaminCS »

Great, looking forward to that, and also to improved Hebrew support of course !
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hi forum & Tracker Team,

I was wondering about the status of the "multiple independent windows of the same document" feature, which seems to be grayed in the Editor at the moment:

To my knowledge, this was the state of the discussion:
unwake wrote:Acrobat reader can split window, it is very useful for me. I often read exam pdf contents questions and answers. Using split window, the upper window display questions and the lower window display answers.
Wennago wrote:I'm looking for a way to open a single PDF multiple times with PDF-XChange. This is exceptionally useful when you read long documents that have references to other parts of the same document. For example take a scientific paper that shows some complex graphics and explains them in detail later on. It's great to read the explanation but have the page with the graphic open to have a quick look from time to time.
fred137 wrote:Imagine the following:
I am often working with information in PDF-documents, where a figure or a table is described in the text on the next 3 pages. While reading the text, I'd like to have a look at the figure or the table all the time. When working with the document, I make some annotation to the text and some annotations to the figure. All annotations shall be in one and the same copy of the PDF-document.
BenjaminCS wrote:This is a very useful feature in Microsoft Word/Visual Studio/many editors, to have the same document opened twice or several times. Is it possible in PDF-Xchange Viewer or Editor? In Editor, there is Window menu > "New Window", which is the usual name for that feature, but it's always grayed
Will - Tracker Supp wrote:In the Editor, multiple instances have not been implemented, so currently the best way to do what you need would be through use of the split function. Also, we are going to be implementing the ability to open the same document in multiple frames of the Editor - this can currently be done for different documents by 'grabbing' a tab and dragging it outside the current frame of the Editor.
I am aware of the split function which is a step in the same direction. However I think it is preferable to actually be able put the same document in multiple independent windows that can be freely positioned on one or multiple monitors.

Thanks already for status information about the possible implementation of this feature in the Editor!

Best Regards
David.P
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

I apologize, this one seems to have slipped the 'net', so to speak.

I'll touch base with the Dev. Team and see where we stand there.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Was able to sneak in and steal them quickly - they've said that it can't be done for this build, by they will do what they can to try to implement this for build 314.

Cheers,
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

This sounds great Will, thank you for the status update.

Best Regards
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Patrick-Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Patrick-Tracker Supp »

:D
Thank you.

Cheers,

Patrick Charest
Tracker Support North America
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote:Was able to sneak in and steal them quickly - they've said that it can't be done for this build, by they will do what they can to try to implement this for build 314
I was going to ask about the status of this feature that I think will be a big step forward, especially on very large monitors and on multi monitor systems. For example, I'd like to put a Word document that I am working on in the middle, and have two copies (windows) of the same PDF reference document (of course showing different pages of the PDF document) to the left and to the right of my Word document.

The feature seems to be prepared, but unfortunately it is greyed and thus not active yet:

Is there any word about when we will be seeing implementation...?

Thanks very much already,
Regards
David.P
--
PS -- here is a possible implementation:

Read also the related topic here.
Last edited by David.P on Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi David,

I apologize for the lack of response - I could have sworn that I'd already responded to this :oops: I'm hoping that I didn't dream it..... that would be concerning for a number of reasons. Again, very sorry!

The answer to this is, unfortunately, we do not have a time frame yet. This one has been assigned a lower priority, as there are a number of more pressing implementations and fixes that must be seen to first.

Sorry to be vague, but that's the best we can do for now.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
David.P
User

Post by David.P »

Hello Will,

understood -- (sorry for the late answer).
Will - Tracker Supp wrote:This one has been assigned a lower priority, as there are a number of more pressing implementations and fixes that must be seen to first.
I'll keep waiting for the implementation then -- thank you anyway for the status update :)

Cheers
David
David.P
PDF-XChange Pro
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)
Louis-Mathieu Brochu
User

Post by Louis-Mathieu Brochu »

Hello,

What is the status on this? When I try to drag and drop the tab of the document I want in two separate windows, the first instance closes as the new one opens. I tried changing the options in Preferences/General/Tabs and Windows to no avail.
Radi - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: New window/new tab with same document  SOLVED

Post by Radi - Tracker Supp »

Hello Louis-Mathieu,

Welcome to our forums.

This feature has been implemented a while ago. You can find it in the View tab of your ribbon interface - Document Tabs tool -> New Document Window.
Document Tabs.jpg
Regards,
Radi
Louis-Mathieu Brochu
User

Post by Louis-Mathieu Brochu »

Awesome, thank you Radi.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:D
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)