Reset PDF-XChange Editor to not display in Browser?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Athenian
User

Reset PDF-XChange Editor to not display in Browser?

Post by Athenian »

I just reinstalled Windows on my laptop and I can't seem to get PDF-XChange to work as I had it configured before.

I started by downloading and installing PDF-XChange Pro 2012 and entering my key. The UI is completely different from what I had before and I can't find a place to stop displaying documents in the IE browser window rather than in standalone PDF-XChange. Where/how can I reset this?

Thank you.
Athena
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Reset PDF-XChange Editor to not display in Browser?

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Athenian,

Thanks for the post - please try disabling this within the Tools --> Add ons section of IE, as per the attached screen-shot:
IE Addons.zip
(49.1 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Hi Will,

This is kind of strange: I have the IE plugin (iePDFXEditPlugin.x86.dll) in my PDF Editor directory, PDFs open just fine in IE 8 on my machine, but there is no entry listed for the Editor (or Tracker) under "Toolbars and Extensions". Of course, I selected 'Show all add-ons'.

There were a couple of posts on another board about this behavior as well; PDFs opening fine in IE but the plugin itself not showing up in Manage Add-ons.
Athenian
User

Post by Athenian »

Will - Tracker Supp wrote: Please try disabling this within the Tools --> Add ons section of IE, as per the attached screen-shot:
Unfortunately, that did not help. Although the add-ons are disabled, PDFs are still opening in the browser window...even when I remove the Windows file association.

I just looked at my desktop (which was upgraded from V.4) and there is an explicit option in the program preferences for this but there doesn't seem to be any way to control it in PDF-XChange 2012 Pro :(

If I have to wipe this laptop again, I'd like to get this right the next time.
Athena
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Hi Athenian,

One thing you can do, with immediate effect, is to rename your the PDF Editor plugin for IE. The file should be named "iePDFXEditPlugin.x86.dll" (or a reasonable facsimile) and should be found in your Tracker Software>>PDF Editor directory (at least that's where it was located on my machine).

I simply renamed the file from "iePDFXEditorPlugin.x86.dll" to "iePDFXEditorPlugin.x86.bak" - that makes it real easy to locate and change back to "dll" if/when Tracker provides a fix for this issue.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks for the advise prius04.

Cheers,
Stefan
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Hi Stefan,

You are quite welcome. Nevertheless, this can't be expected behavior with respect to IE. For example, the 'non-IE' plugin for the Editor appears in both Firefox and Chrome and can be disabled in both browsers. I can't imagine why the IE plugin would be designed to not actually appear in IE under Manager Add-ons (as has been reported by several users).

Hopefully, the development team can investigate. Thanks, as always.
Athenian
User

Post by Athenian »

prius04 wrote: I can't imagine why the IE plugin would be designed to not actually appear in IE under Manager Add-ons
The PDF-XChange plug-in appears in my IE10 Add-in manager...the problem is that disabling it doesn't make any difference at all.

In fact, I had to re-install Windows yet again yesterday (I'm having some major problems with a yet to be identified device driver) and even though I cleared the box to display in the browser during PDF-XChange Pro 2012 installation, the add-in is enabled anyway.

I guess renaming the dll is my next option. Obviously though I prefer the old method of having a Preference in the PDF-XChange UI to control this.
Athena
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Athenian wrote:The PDF-XChange plug-in appears in my IE10 Add-in manager...the problem is that disabling it doesn't make any difference at all...
In a very weird way, that actually makes sense. For some users, the IE plugin does not appear in the Add-on manager while for others it does appear in the Add-on manager but, either way, the plugin apparently cannot be disabled without resorting to renaming the DLL. Clearly, the IE plugin is not functioning as designed.

Again, the developers need to investigate this issue.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

the "Plugin" should never actually shown in IE - only the Add-In for the Printer if available. This is because of IE's very tight integration into the Windows OS. IE will set an application to render the PDF based on it's mime type and should not actually report the available plugin.

Rather than renaming the plugin DLL (which is a valid work around) you can use some command line parameters to launch the Viewer and set this, however this is not yet implemented in the Editor. :-(

This KB article touches on this for the Viewer: https://www.pdf-xchange.com/knowledgeba ... PDF-Viewer

Because this is not yet available in the Editor then currently the only way to enable/disable the plugin is by choosing the preference when running the installer. In this case howver it seems that the choice was not respected:
and even though I cleared the box to display in the browser during PDF-XChange Pro 2012 installation, the add-in is enabled anyway.
I would like to test if this is reproducible. I assume you can reproduce the issue there? Can I ask you, for my test:
* What version of Windows (XP/Vista/7/8)
* What version of that OS (Home/Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise etc)
* If your system has all Windows Updates
* Service packs Applied
* The version of IE (10?)

thanks
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
prius04
User

Post by prius04 »

Hi Paul,

Assuming my recollection is not faulty, the Viewer exhibited different behavior than the Editor. When I had the Viewer installed, the plugin did indeed appear in IE. When it was enabled, PDFs opened automatically inside IE. When I disabled the plugin, PDFs would not open automatically in IE. Rather, I was presented with a dialog box that gave me the option to either open or save the PDF. Subsequently, if I chose to open the PDF, the Viewer would be launched and the PDF would appear inside the Viewer, not inside the browser.

I presume the foregoing behavior has somehow changed with the introduction of the Editor, at least with respect to IE.
Athenian
User

Post by Athenian »

Paul - Tracker Supp wrote:the "Plugin" should never actually shown in IE - only the Add-In for the Printer if available. This is because of IE's very tight integration into the Windows OS. IE will set an application to render the PDF based on it's mime type and should not actually report the available plugin.
I have two entries in the Add-in Manager and they both say "PDF-XChange 2012"

Having documents always open in the browser is an annoyance. I keep forgetting to right-click an "Save Target As" when I download a document. I really like the behavior on my old machine with an info bar at the bottom that lets me choose between opening (in the application window) and saving.

What version of Windows (XP/Vista/7/8) -- Windows 7
* What version of that OS (Home/Home Premium/Professional/Ultimate/Enterprise etc) -- Ultimate
* If your system has all Windows Updates Fully updated with everything available as of 4 November
* Service packs Applied -Service Pack 1
* The version of IE (10?) 10
Athena
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Athenian,
Having documents always open in the browser is an annoyance. I keep forgetting to right-click an "Save Target As" when I download a document. I really like the behavior on my old machine with an info bar at the bottom that lets me choose between opening (in the application window) and saving.
OK - can you try the following to deregister the DLL rather than renaming it? :

Code: Select all

regsvr32 /u iePDFXEditPlugin.x86.dll
and for an x64 version:

Code: Select all

regsvr32 /u iePDFXEditPlugin.x64.dll
You need to do it from the command line with Administrative rights. Let me know if you need help doing that?

regards
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
narenbisht
User

Post by narenbisht »

So the default is there is no pdfxchange editor addon in internet explorer, right?
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi narenbisht,

by default the Editor plugin is set to be enabled during the install. You should not have to do anything more than accept the default installation options to have the Editor plugin active in IE.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
narenbisht
User

Post by narenbisht »

Got it. An option to disable would be good. Is this in the list of near future builds?

Regards
Naren
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Naren,

indeed this is being added to the Preferences in a future build, hopefully 307 - the next one. We'll know more as we approach that build release.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
narenbisht
User

Post by narenbisht »

OK.

Thanxx for the info.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

:)