Viewer and Editor Co-existence

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Bob Coleman
User

Viewer and Editor Co-existence

Post by Bob Coleman »

I don't know that I have current need for or interest in the Editor, but recognizing that it will be the only supported alternative going forward, I decided to look at it by installing it on a system on which I already have the Viewer (Pro).

During installation, I got a Registration Information dialog with Pro Version (Serial Number Required) selected and my information including my Viewer Serial Key filled in. I was surprised to see this since I was installing a different product, but I left things as they were and continued.

I don't know what I've got now. Help → About in the editor shows neither Free nor Pro. I'm able to use Document → Insert Pages to insert pages and save the resulting file which, as far as I can tell, has no markers of any type.

Isn't Insert Pages a Pro feature? Is the Editor in Pro mode? Is it supposed to be?
Bhikkhu Pesala
User

Re: Viewer and Editor Co-existence

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

What does it say in Edit, Preferences, Registration?

I am using the Free version, so I don't see any details there.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G, 8 Gb
Review: http://www.softerviews.org/PDF-XChange.html
afh
User

Post by afh »

That wasn't clear for me too.
Even if after the installation of PDF Editor the Registration had my PDF XChange viewer serial key displayed, I was using the free version of the pdf editor.

After buying the licence for PDF Editor I could use all pro features.

So, apparently, you get a single licence key for all your products.
I hope I am not wrong, but this is what I understand.
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

If issued after Jan 1st 2012 - the Viewer/Editor serials are the same/interchangeable.

HTH
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
http://www.tracker-software.com
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote:What does it say in Edit, Preferences, Registration?

I am using the Free version, so I don't see any details there.
It shows my name Organization (None), email address, and (Viewer) Serial Key.
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

John - Tracker Supp wrote:If issued after Jan 1st 2012 - the Viewer/Editor serials are the same/interchangeable.

HTH
It was not issued after Jan 1st 2012, so why am I able to use (what I think is) a Pro feature in the Editor.

I guess I shouldn't be complaining, but still I'd like to understand what's going on.
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

Changing subject somewhat, but certainly within the subject of "Co-existence", I quote below from

http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... &view=next

regarding the behavior of the Viewer and Editor when using the Directory Opus file manager.
Tracker Software is replacing PDF-XChange Viewer with PDF-XChange Editor, so I installed Editor to take a look. After installing it, opening PDF files in Explorer causes them to be opened in Editor as expected. Doing the same in Opus causes the file to be opened in Viewer. Not only that, but Viewer asks if it should become the default PDF viewer? I guess the last point is understandable behavior by the Viewer since, based on the behavior in Explorer, Editor is apparently the default PDF viewer, but if that's the case, why is the Viewer being invoked at all?
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the post - from the link that you sent, this seems to be an issue with the file manager, as this isn't something that we handle, but is handled by the Windows API. The most that we do, when setting our application as default, is to set the associations within Windows - it's up to the application whether or not they honour these associations, so I'm afraid that you'll have to contact them on this.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
Bob Coleman
User

Post by Bob Coleman »

Bob Coleman wrote:Changing subject somewhat, but certainly within the subject of "Co-existence", I quote below from

http://resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... &view=next

regarding the behavior of the Viewer and Editor when using the Directory Opus file manager.
Tracker Software is replacing PDF-XChange Viewer with PDF-XChange Editor, so I installed Editor to take a look. After installing it, opening PDF files in Explorer causes them to be opened in Editor as expected. Doing the same in Opus causes the file to be opened in Viewer. Not only that, but Viewer asks if it should become the default PDF viewer? I guess the last point is understandable behavior by the Viewer since, based on the behavior in Explorer, Editor is apparently the default PDF viewer, but if that's the case, why is the Viewer being invoked at all?
I don't know what the issue was here, but it seems to be resolved in the editor Version 3.0 (Build 307.0).
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Great, glad the issue is resolved :D
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.