(Feature Request) epub support!

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

gate1975mlm
User

(Feature Request) epub support!

Post by gate1975mlm »

Please can you add epub support to PDF-XChange Editor?

I would really like to be able to read all my books that are in the epub format with PDF-XChange Editor :)

Any chance of this being added in the future?

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: (Feature Request) epub support!

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello gate1975mlm,

I believe that in the past I've discussed this as a possibility with one of our devs, but for the moment I am not aware of any active development in this direction. This is however not to say that support for converting .epub files to PDFs and displaying them in the editor could not be added in the future just as .xps files are currently handled.

Regards,
Stefan
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hello gate1975mlm,

I believe that in the past I've discussed this as a possibility with one of our devs, but for the moment I am not aware of any active development in this direction. This is however not to say that support for converting .epub files to PDFs and displaying them in the editor could not be added in the future just as .xps files are currently handled.

Regards,
Stefan

Hello,

I just wanted to say I love how PDF-Xchange Editor is coming along. It's getting better and better with each release!

And if someday in the not to far future you add the ability to open and read .epub files it would be fantastic :)

Thanks
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Many thanks for the kind words gate1975mlm!

Much appreciated.
.epub support could be looked at after some other tasks and features are implemented.

Regards,
Stefan
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Many thanks for the kind words gate1975mlm!

Much appreciated.
.epub support could be looked at after some other tasks and features are implemented.

Regards,
Stefan

Cool :wink:
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

;)
eli silverman
User

Post by eli silverman »

I know it has been a while, but I would like to add my request for .epub support.

Thanks.
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

eli silverman wrote:I know it has been a while, but I would like to add my request for .epub support.

Thanks.
I am also still very patiently waiting and hoping for ePub support :)
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi All,

Just spoke with a colleague from the dev team, and he told me that because of the format on which ePub is based (html) - we will need to build an html-to-pdf converter to be able to support that format, however this is rather complex and is not currently under development. So for the time being ePub is not going to be supported but we might reconsider that in the future.

Regards,
Stefan
gate1975mlm
User

Post by gate1975mlm »

Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote:Hi All,

Just spoke with a colleague from the dev team, and he told me that because of the format on which ePub is based (html) - we will need to build an html-to-pdf converter to be able to support that format, however this is rather complex and is not currently under development. So for the time being ePub is not going to be supported but we might reconsider that in the future.

Regards,
Stefan
That's cool and thanks for the info.

It would be nice if PDF-XChange Editor could open epubs so I did not have to use other software but I understand :)

I would recommend Calibre for viewing epubs for the time being until PDF-XChange Editor maybe gets epub support.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi gate1975mlm,

Thanks for the understanding :) We'll keep a note of this one for possible implementation at a later date.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Jensen Head
User

Post by Jensen Head »

I join the pending ability to import and export in .epub format. This is very natural after you have added a quality recognition engine. Ideally, I would like to see a list like this:
_
ABBYY FineReader PDF 15 — Save As.png
Tracker Supp-Stefan wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:06 pmbecause of the format on which ePub is based (html) - we will need to build an html-to-pdf converter to be able to support that format, however this is rather complex and is not currently under development.
Then maybe it makes sense to do the same as with .rtf / .doc / .docx / .odt files and PDF-Tools — to use the application already installed for them as a converter? In your case, a web browser as an html handler. Some specific browser, or installed in the OS, as the default browser.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

We are not seeing a lot of requests for this and I personally wonder how popular/common the format is.

Unless there is a change here and we see an overwhelming demand for conversion to ePub I don't anticipate this happening in any great rush, if at all.

Sorry to be the bearer of "bad news" but from what I am seeing this doesn't appear to carry the demand needed to justify the work involved.

regretfully

Paul
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com