[Issue] Scanner implementation

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Seidenweber
User

[Issue] Scanner implementation

Post by Seidenweber »

Hey @all

a)
There is no simple way to just 'update' a scanner profile a.t.m.
You always have to enter the full profile-name to save the changes.

b)
The software doesn't detect, if the document feeder is empty.
Scanning documents with multiple pages ends up in a never ending loop (if I don't want to click for every single page).

c)
Will there be an operating sequence to create searchable multi-page double-sided documents from the scanner by one click?

Best,
Seidenweber
PDF-XChange PRO || Win10 Pro x64 || Intel Core i9-9900k || 64 GB RAM || Nvidia RTX 2080 ti || OKI ES5162 MFP
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Re: [Issue] Scanner implementation

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

a) It is common to all profiles in the Editor - to save profile you have to specify its name

b) Will check. What is model of your scanner? Do you use WIA or TWAIN drivers?

c) In the new build of the Editor we placed a button to create new document from scanner on the toolbar. So, if you have configured preset, you will be able to scan document with required parameters by two clicks (one to show drop down menu and second one to choose required profile). Also, new build should have an option to OCR scanned pages.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

hey Ivan. Thank's for your answer

a)
right :) But to have this option to be easily operated it would be great to save an existing, changed profile without typing things like "Duplex Feeder Grayscale 300 DPI". Just to click 'save' would make me happy ;)

b)
Brother MFC-8380 DN and I use WIA drivers.
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bs ... ng=English

c) I see the editor as a preview for now, but it's going to be great. As far as I see, the scan and OCR functionality will be much better than before.
PDF-XChange PRO || Win10 Pro x64 || Intel Core i9-9900k || 64 GB RAM || Nvidia RTX 2080 ti || OKI ES5162 MFP
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

I have told, that the editor doesn't detect, if the document feeder is empty.

After some testing I have found, that the profile 'Scanner.Preset.Figure1.zip' causes "Error [PXVLib]: No pages scanned", if the feeder is empty.
Even if more detailed error message would be helpful, it's logical and a better solution than switching to the flatbed like other software does.
My feature-request: more detailed error messages
Attachments
Scanner.Preset.Figure1.zip
(183.91 KiB) Downloaded 154 times
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

I did some more testing...

I have told, that scanning documents with multiple pages is ending up in a never ending loop.
This is only true for flatbed and nothing to object to. 'Scanner.Preset.Figure2.zip' works as intended.
BUT (anyway) after the last page the Editor will end up in endless attempts to scan the next page.

My feature-request here:
An option for multipage-scan.
If the feeder is empty at the first attempt -> error message
If the feeder is empty later -> no error message, cause it's all done.

Another feature-request is:
An option to scan stacks of single documents, where each document is scanned to it's own single PDF.

If there was an additional PRO version with those feature, I would buy it, cause it's a company solution.
Attachments
Scanner.Preset.Figure2.zip
(109.28 KiB) Downloaded 149 times
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, Seidenweber
a) .. but to have this option to be easily operated it would be great to save an existing, changed profile without typing things like "Duplex Feeder Grayscale 300 DPI". Just to click 'save' would make me happy ;)
Understood. In the new build you will be able to select an existing preset name from a combobox in the 'Save Current Setting'/'New Setting' dialog without typing it's full name.
In the future we can add the other, easier way to change an existing preset.
If the feeder is empty at the first attempt -> error message
In the next build we will add a new error/warning message with Retry/Cancel buttons.
If the feeder is empty later -> no error message, cause it's all done.
Sure.
An option to scan stacks of single documents, where each document is scanned to it's own single PDF.
In the future we are planning to add new features for fast merging/splitting documents using custom rules. You will be able to use it to split a new document from scanner into many single-page documents.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

3.0.306 returns an error message [PXVLib] Scanner has no Duplex.
It has.
Alex-Tracker DevTeam
User

Post by Alex-Tracker DevTeam »

Hi Seidenweber
Seidenweber wrote:3.0.306 returns an error message [PXVLib] Scanner has no Duplex.
It has.
Can you please specify what driver do you use - TWAIN or WIA? Have you tried another one?
Thanks in advance
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Alex-Tracker DevTeam wrote:Can you please specify what driver do you use - TWAIN or WIA? Have you tried another one?
I use WIA and did not try TWAIN
Other software, like PhotoImpact X3 oder CorelDRAW X4 (both x86) let's me choose TWAIN or WIA but PDF-XChange Editor only provides WIA.

//edit
I swiched from x64 to x86
Now TWAIN works. Selecting WIA is provided but all settings are grayed out.
Alex-Tracker DevTeam
User

Seidenweber wrote:Now TWAIN works. Selecting WIA is provided but all settings are grayed out.
May I ask you to provide us with a screenshot of this dialog with settings being grayed out?
Seidenweber
User

Post by Seidenweber »

Alex-Tracker DevTeam wrote:May I ask you to provide us with a screenshot of this dialog with settings being grayed out?
Sorry, but I have installed a fresh, new and stable environment, cause I have to do some special work atm.
I stopped testing the PDF-XChange Editor for now and will provide further information as soon as it's installed again.

the last result was
installing x64 -> only WIA is known, but does not work
installing x86 AFTER x64 -> WIA, TWAIN and "WIA printer with type TWAIN" (??) is provided but ALL setting of both WIA-profiles are grayed out. TWAIN works
installing x64 again after x86 -> TWAIN was known now, but marked as "not found". WIA doesn't work.

at this point I stopped testing.
Alex-Tracker DevTeam
User

Hi Seidenweber
Seidenweber wrote:installing x64 -> only WIA is known, but does not work
This problem has been found and fixed
Seidenweber wrote:installing x86 AFTER x64 -> WIA, TWAIN and "WIA printer with type TWAIN" (??) is provided
WIA drivers have ability to emulate TWAIN, by reasons of supporting applications which don't work with WIA. "WIA printer with type TWAIN" sounds like this. It is recommended to avoid of using this kind of drivers if you have a choice.
Seidenweber wrote:... but ALL setting of both WIA-profiles are grayed out. TWAIN works
This situation needs additional investigation.
Seidenweber wrote:installing x64 again after x86 -> TWAIN was known now, but marked as "not found".
TWAIN driver has been stored and shown because it was last used one. But this driver is not supported by x64 applications, therefore it was marked as "not found".

Please follow our website for information about new releases and updates.