Unlocking comment feature for Adobe Reader

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

matjes85
User

Unlocking comment feature for Adobe Reader

Post by matjes85 »

Unfortunately the Adobe Reader is the most used PDF application. With Adobe Acrobat it is possible to unlock the comment feature for Adobe Reader. The comment feature is very important for our customer workflow. Is it possible to unlock the comment feature for the Adobe Reader with XChange as well? Otherwise we would be forced to have an Acrobat Standard only for unlocking PDF files.
matjes85
User

Re: Unlocking comment feature for Adobe Reader

Post by matjes85 »

To explain what I mean: PDF XChange Editor has all security options enabled:

The Adobe Reader shows only the limited comment tools. If I would unlock the PDF comment function with Acrobat, all comment features would appear here.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello matjes85,

I am afraid that this is something Adobe are doing at their end and we can't influence it.
When a file is not created by one of their own paid for products - they only allow the very basic commenting tools in their free Reader. If a file was created with their software they place a special signature which when the free Reader detects allows advanced editing. We obviously can't have access to that same signature, and can't do nothing at our end.

We see this as a limitation in their own product rather than as a problem on our side, as the file is not security protected and as you can see - full editing rights are provided in our software and all other third party products. The only limited software is Adobe's free reader.

Regards,
Stefan
matjes85
User

Post by matjes85 »

Hi Stefan,

thanks for your explanation. I did not know yet, how the comment restriction works. This is absolutely crazy. I know many people who buy, only because of this limitation of the Adobe Reader, an expensive Adobe Acrobat package instead of using another PDF reader/editor like XChange. I hope we'll buy XChange anyway, I really like it.

Great support, great product!

Thank you
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi matjes85,

I guess that's the "Adobe way" ;)

Thanks for the kind words and I do hope that you will indeed get our products!

Regards,
Stefan