Corrupted and missing text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

BobM
User

Corrupted and missing text

Post by BobM »

Hi,
Whilst editing the attached file, I've experienced a couple of problems:
1. Deleting characters from words in the center of the page appears to work whilst it is selected but as soon as the mouse is pressed outside the selection, the modified text appears superimposed on the original text.
2. Saving the file after any modifications are done to it, cause most of the text to disappear when the file is reopened, although it remains on screen while the file is open. This occurs even if, say, only the graphic is deleted and the text is not changed.
Note: editing the text in the header works successfully, but the central text still disappears after the file is saved.

I'm guessing this is font related, but the fact that there is no indication that text showing on the screen becomes lost after saving is a serious issue.

EDIT: this is using build 301.
Attachments
PDF3_B33.200.7z
(18.9 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: Corrupted and missing text

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi BobM,

Thanks for the post and the sample file - I've taken a look at the file and, as far as your first issue goes, this appears to be because there are really two layers of text here; deleting the first layer will obviously leave the last lat behind.

As for the second issue, that's definitely strange and I can confirm that I've reproduced it on my end - I'll have to take this to one of the Developers and will post back once I've spoken with them.

Cheers,
Will
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
BobM
User

Post by BobM »

Thanks for clarifying about the two layers - deleting one of them cured the visual problem.
I've no idea how two overlapping layers could have been produced as the source file was a Word document and pdf'd through Acrobat. Let's hope it was a one-off.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hi Bob,

I am not sure either - but it's certainly not our Viewer or Editor that added those texts twice.
I believe this was indeed a one off issue!

Best,
Stefan
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi Bob,

I've spoken with the Lead Developer on this and he's confirmed the two layers of text (using the Content Editing tool to attempt to move the text, before it has been edited, will demonstrate that).

As for the other issue; it does appear that this is a bug and the Devs. are already working on a fix.

Cheers, hope that helps!
Will
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
BobM
User

Post by BobM »

Another example of missing text in PDF Xchange Editor (build 301) but no problem for PDF Xchange Viewer or Acrobat 10.
Attachments
QP 14 ATTACHMENT 4 ISSUE 01.7z
(13.96 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks Bob,

I'll pass it along for investigation!
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
yuk fai lo
User

Post by yuk fai lo »

Just found out one kind of my e-bills are unreadable in Editor but displays fine in Viewer. Regret that it contains personal and sensitive information so I couldn't post it here.

Here's some technical information about the file:

PDF/PReS Version: 4.7.1
[ClibPDF Library 2.02-r1-2] Windows XP/2000/NT/9x
Spec. Version: 1.3
Linearized: No

Cheers.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi yuk fai lo,

If you can send a copy of that file to support@pdf-xchange.com we would test it and then completely remove it from our systems. If we have the file we should be able to tell what's wrong with it.

Best,
Stefan
srn123
User

Post by srn123 »

Enclosing a PDF which doesn't render text properly in PDF-Editor build 302 for your investigation since the topic of this discussion is similar. I can see parts of pictures, border outlines of some pages; the bookmarks show up fine, a logo shows up in the first page and there are only empty pages thereon. This document renders fine in PDF-XChange Viewer and Adobe Acrobat Reader X.

Regards
RamNarayan S
Attachments
G.870.pdf.7z
(217.98 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hello All,

Thanks for the samples RamNarayan S. Your file uses embedded Type 1 fonts - and there's a known issue with such fonts in build 302 of the Editor. We are aiming at fixing this for build 303.

yuk fai lo - thanks for the sample file that you e-mailed. Your file has a separate issue. The chinese font in it is not embedded, and when exactly the same font is not present on your machine, we have to substitute it with a similar one. In this particular case the substitute is incorrect - and that's what causes the issue. We will fix this ASAP as well!

Best,
Stefan
yuk fai lo
User

Post by yuk fai lo »

Thanks. Look forward to the next release.

Right now, Editor is not ready as a complete replacement for Viewer, I may say. Hopefully the scene will change soon.

Cheers.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

:)
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)