Searching for text

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

vivadavid
User

Searching for text

Post by vivadavid »

Hello,

One of things I like the most about PDF-Xchange is that the searching for text is much faster than on Adobe, where it's painfully slow.

Today, I was searching for the text "volume 1" on a particular PDF, when I found a strange behaviour, which you can see on the captions.

1. On file 1, everything's OK.
2. On file 2, nothing is highlighted and I can't see where the text "volume 1" is (edit: I've tried again and surprisingly, the text is highlighted now, which is on the third line of the footnote. I don't understand, because I haven't done anything different).
3. On file 3, the text is properly highlighted, but number 1 is placed before the word "volume". I've found many examples of this wrong text order, or simply cases where there's some text between the word "volume" and number 1.

Also, there's a bar on the lower part of the text-search dialogue box, but it's not really a progress bar, and this creates confusion, in my opinion, because, in those cases where the document is long, it's not clear whether the search is done or not. It'd be easier to understand if it were a proper progress bar or if the page number to be scanned were shown.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

David
Attachments
captions.zip
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 143 times
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Searching for text

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, David.

If it is possible, please send us these(or similar) files so that we can try to reproduce these issues. The search-process in a pdf file is strongly dependent on many document-specific things...

Thanks for your report.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hello,

I've uploaded the file so that you can check it out:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzMc4mx ... sp=sharing

Searching for text on this file seems to work on Adobe and on PDF-Xchange Viewer.

Thank you and please keep us informed.

David
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Thanks David,

Vasyl will check the sample a bit later today when he comes to work (Pacific Time Zone).

Best,
Stefan
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, David.

Thanks for your sample file. For your case please try to use next ways:

- specify the "volume 1", especially in quotemarks - and editor will search the specified phrase exactly, the same words in the same order.
or
- specify the volume 1, without quotemarks and enable the "Whole Words" option from the drop-down "Options"-button - and editor will search whole words only, but one note - the result may contain words in different order.

By default editor finds parts of words and in any order..

HTH
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Hello, Vasyl,

Now I understand this behaviour. It's a bit uncomfortable to have to type the quotation marks, but I guess it'll be practical, in some cases, to search for words that are close to each other, but not necessarily one after the other in that order.

I also wanted to insist that it'd be a good idea to make the bar a real progress bar because if the PDF file is very long, it's not clear when it's done with searching. I'd do as follows:

1. Make it a progress bar with an option to see the page number being scanned.
2. Ask at the end of the document if you want to start again searching for that the text from the beginning of the document.

What do you think of these suggestions? It'd be great if they could be implented. The searching capacibilities of a PDF file viewer are very important. It's incredible how long it takes on Adobe to search for text!

Thanks,

David
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi David,

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll definitely put them forward to the people that need to see them :) I can't make any promises, but they'll definitely be looked at and evaluated for implementation.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
vivadavid
User

Post by vivadavid »

Thanks, Will! :-)
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

:D No problem!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com