Print Dialog (Shortcuts within)

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

LemonBanana
User

Print Dialog (Shortcuts within)

Post by LemonBanana »

As a heavy user of Keyboard Shortcuts I miss two things to keep the speed on my workflow:

1.) After opening the PrintDialog the focus has been on printer-Name in XChange Viewer so I could key in "C" for Canon Printer or "K" for the Kyocera printer to get the required routing. This requires an additional switch from keyboard to mouse (or n-Tabs) to get to the printername field - and back to keyboard afterwards.

2.) PDF Viewer had Alt+N as a shortcut to move to the Printer Name field as well - this has been dropped. Please bring it back.

btw a minor issue - in order for an eye-candy Printer-Icon the length of the printername has been reduced dramatically - in my environment the full name is no longer visiable: e.g. "Brother MFC-MODEL Invocie" and "Brother MFC-MODEL Draft" and can only be identified by opening the listbox with printernames. Tray is used to select Coated or uncoated paper or preprinted
Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team
Site Admin

Re: Print Dialog (Shortcuts within)

Post by Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team »

Hi, LemonBanana.
1.) After opening the PrintDialog the focus has been on printer-Name in XChange Viewer so I could key in "C" for Canon Printer or "K" for the Kyocera printer to get the required routing. This requires an additional switch from keyboard to mouse (or n-Tabs) to get to the printername field - and back to keyboard afterwards.
Sure. It will be fixed as you suggested.
2.) PDF Viewer had Alt+N as a shortcut to move to the Printer Name field as well - this has been dropped. Please bring it back.
Yes, the navigation by keyboard keys is somewhat wrong for now but we will fix/improve it in the near future.
btw a minor issue - in order for an eye-candy Printer-Icon the length of the printername has been reduced dramatically - in my environment the full name is no longer visible: e.g. "Brother MFC-MODEL Invocie" and "Brother MFC-MODEL Draft" and can only be identified by opening the listbox with printernames. Tray is used to select Coated or uncoated paper or preprinted
We will add the tooltip that will be displayed when text in the printername combo is cropped..

Thanks for your report.

Best
Regards.
Vasyl Yaremyn
Tracker Software Products
Project Developer

Please archive any files posted to a ZIP, 7z or RAR file or they will be removed and not posted.
LemonBanana
User

Post by LemonBanana »

Hi,

I like to remind on the Issue with keyboard navigation:

ad 2)
Acceleration Alt+N to move to the Printername field in the PrintDialog is still missing - according to my programming knowledge, this is very little efford for the programmer - but a big improvement for the user (me).

BTW: The Alt+A is used at leased twice in this Dialog ond behaves very stange (closes Dialog, when pressed multiple times [2x/3x])

whereas others are missing too (Scaling, Zoom-Factor and the CheckBoxes beyond) .... now it has changed to "more efford", sorry for that.

Buttons also should have Acceleration Keys (e.g. Einstellungen/Settings).

I'm using the german version - maybe it depends on the language selection.

kind regards
LemonBanana
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi LemonBanana,

Thanks for the reminder.
Acceleration Alt+N to move to the Printername field in the PrintDialog is still missing - according to my programming knowledge, this is very little efford for the programmer - but a big improvement for the user (me).
This has now been fixed and it should be available for the next release (due approx. 2 weeks).
I've created a ticket for this, so please reference RT-3061 when requesting status updates.
tw a minor issue - in order for an eye-candy Printer-Icon the length of the printername has been reduced dramatically - in my environment the full name is no longer visiable: e.g. "Brother MFC-MODEL Invocie" and "Brother MFC-MODEL Draft" and can only be identified by opening the listbox with printernames. Tray is used to select Coated or uncoated paper or preprinted
Clicking the little "i" icon will display details about the printer, including the full name. It isn't really possible for us to expand the field, as we don't have the space. It may be possible to decrease the text size via the Font Size options under Edit --> Preferences --> Customize UI.

HTH!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
LemonBanana
User

Post by LemonBanana »

Hi,

I installed version 5.5 316.1 recently.

The keyboard acceleration for Printer name is still not working although it was announced to be fixed within 2 weeks last year.

Having the initial Focus on "Print" is understandable as as in most cases printing to the standard printer will be done, but switching between physical and virtual printers is very common at least for me.

If Alt-n is unavail - any other key is welcome.... as long as he's inidcated.

All fileds in the section "Drucker[DE]/Printer[EN]" shoud have an acceleration key as they are accesed very often (Copies, Settings, Duplex,....)

btw:
I suppose ALT+a is still assigned twice in the German edition:
1.) (Abbrechen[DE]/Cancel[EN]) and
2.) (Aktuelle Ansicht[DE]/Current View[EN]) - Page Range selection

best regards
LemonBanana
Attachments
ScreenShot-2016-03-12 16_50_06-Drucken.zip
Highlighted in yellow are fields without Acceleration and green with acceleration keys.
(351.83 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Willy Van Nuffel
User

Post by Willy Van Nuffel »

I can confirm your problem, when I explicitly switch the language of my PDF-XChange Editor to German (Standard).

The problem is NOT completely there when you switch to English (US) via the Edit-menu > Preferences... > Languages.

At that time the ALT + N is available (in the Print dialog box) to select the printer, and after that, you can use the up and down cursor keys on your keyboard to select an other printer. You will also have ALT-shortcuts for Copies, Duplex and Page Ranges.

I hope for you that Tracker Software will also make available similar ALT-shortcuts for the German language of it's Editor, and maybe add additional ALT-shortcuts for the other options in the Print dialog box (and this for 'all' languages).

Best regards.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi guys,

I suspect that this is because the German localization is missing the special characters that denote where these acceleration keys should be. They are set when using our Translation Tools and, if not copied to the translated string, they will not be present in the application.

I'll pass this along to our current translator.

Cheers,
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com