New Viewer Ver #3 Fixes an Old Issue But Missing Features

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

briankeys
User

New Viewer Ver #3 Fixes an Old Issue But Missing Features

Post by briankeys »

Version #2 has forever had an issue for me rendering pages within some files. The thumbnail would show a page of text but the main view would be partially or completely blank until I zoomed in or out.

Version #3 fixes that. Thank You!

But I'm missing the typewriter tool big time. Looking back through posts, I think that will come at a later date.

But please bring back the ability to open PDF files in separate instances rather than separate tabs within one instance of the viewer. I have three monitors in use while comparing construction drawings and often have a separate instance of the viewer open on each monitor. The editor seems to currently lack that feature.

Lastly a feature request. The new version of Acrobat has a 'Save as PDF with reduced file size' option under the File > Save As menu. That's a nifty feature for anyone that deals with larger PDF files. Not so much for some of the 200Mb monsters I grapple with but when I have a 12Mb file I want to email, it's nice to cut the fat out a little to squeeze it under the 10Mb limit of most recipients. For me at least, I'd be happy to down sample most of my bigger files to just black and white at 300dpi. Our copier does that for scanned in pages which makes for really small files that easily pass through email while still completely legible.

Nice work overall on V3, I'm just waiting anxiously for some of the old features to return.

Thanks!
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Re: New Viewer Ver #3 Fixes an Old Issue But Missing Feature

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the post and the kind words :)

The typewriter tool, several other comments tools and the ability to use multiple instances, etc. have been, as you said, left out. This was intentional, and these features should be added in build updates over the next few weeks, so you shouldn't have to wait too long for this :)

As for your feature request, it's definitely a cool idea. I'll put it forward to the Dev. Team, but do please be aware that I cannot guarantee anything, and that they are extremely busy with implementing pre-planned features/changes at this time. It's implementation will be evaluated when the time comes to select from our list of feature requests.

Hope that helps!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
justposted
User

Post by justposted »

briankeys wrote: ... it's nice to cut the fat out a little to squeeze it under the 10Mb limit of most recipients. For me at least, I'd be happy to down sample most of my bigger files to just black and white at 300dpi.
Brian, you can already significantly reduce the size of PDFs via the PDFX Printer (which is free for non-commercial use). Go to Print, then select the PDFX Printer and click Properties next to the drop-down where you selected the printer. Under Graphic (centre of the first dialogue box that opens), choose your resolution. Now when you print, you can get much reduced resolution and therefore smaller file sizes.

I agree that it would be nice if this could be done via a button in the main interface. That way we could keep comments editable, for example, whilst reducing the image resolution.

Worth noting that three things that you might think would make a difference, don't seem to:
- The Scaling option under the Graphic section doesn't seem to change the file size
- If you select More (under Advanced Print Options in the main print dialogue) then you can choose a Maximum Resolution for Images, but it doesn't seem to do anything
- Changing to greyscale (which is also in the More dialogue) works, but doesn't reduce the file size. In fact, it sometimes makes them bigger.

Hope that is useful.
justposted
User

Post by justposted »

briankeys wrote: ... Not so much for some of the 200Mb monsters I grapple with ...
I often work with construction drawings, so often work with 20MB scanned drawings. I'd be interested to know whether you find the Editor works for you. I have struggled with it, because whilst one minute it might open a large file almost immediately (much quicker than Viewer did), the next minute I'll be doing some arbitrary operation such as zooming in, and Editor will just sit there with a blank screen for as much as a minute. Never happens with Viewer.

Have you had that experience, or is it just me?

I submitted this as a bug a couple of months ago, by the way.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Thanks justposted for the comments and observations. We do have your reports as well as those by others and are going through these. The feedback is most appreciated.

Regards reducing file size, this is something that is obviously needed and we've certainly been asked this before. Our intention is to create and 'optimization' plugin that will allow for file size reduction to be performed directly on the PDF from within the Viewer. Obviously getting the Editor to a state where it can completely replace the Viewer is our higher priority for now.
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
http://www.tracker-software.com