How to edit text?

Forum for the PDF-XChange Editor - Free and Licensed Versions

Moderators: TrackerSupp-Daniel, Tracker Support, Paul - Tracker Supp, Vasyl-Tracker Dev Team, Chris - Tracker Supp, Sean - Tracker, Ivan - Tracker Software, Tracker Supp-Stefan

Victor Warner
User

How to edit text?

Post by Victor Warner »

Using the latest version: (build 300).

I wish to edit one line in a pdf (created from a wordpressing file, in WordPerfect X6 printed to PDF).

I cannot edit the line. With Edit Cotent button pressed, clicking anywhere in the top half leads to:

Double clicking in the selected area, leads to:

Clicking within the second selected box I deleted text and then exit that second box leading to:

I cannot work out how just to edit one line. Attached is the PDF.
Attachments
A4 poster - without colour.pdf
(63.28 KiB) Downloaded 311 times
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Re: How to edit text?

Post by Tracker Supp-Stefan »

Hello Victor,

I had no issues changing your file - just directly double click the word you want to edit - and when start typing text as you would in a text editor. I've added the word "here" between "only" and "by".

Best,
Stefan
Attachments
A4 poster - without colour.pdf
(65.68 KiB) Downloaded 333 times
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Stefan,

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately, doing what you are doing is not working for me. For the top half of the document I get the effect seen in the 3 screen shots I posted earlier. For the couple of the lines at the bottom I can double click in the text and start editing.

Using some screen recording software I have recorded what I tried to do to edit. If you wish you see what I was doing: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/11238224/Video ... 185753.wmv.
Will - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Will - Tracker Supp »

Hi Victor,

Hopefully you don't mind me jumping in here, Stefan has finished for the day. Also, thanks for the video, it was certainly helpful.

I, like Stefan, and simply unable to replicated this with the latest build of the Editor (300). Could you please re-install using the following link and see if that helps?
https://www.pdf-xchange.com/PDFXVE3.zip

Cheers, keep me posted!
If posting files to this forum, you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded.
Thank you.

Best regards

Will Travaglini
Tracker Support (Europe)
Tracker Software Products Ltd.
http://www.tracker-software.com
Walter-Tracker Supp
User

Post by Walter-Tracker Supp »

I also have been unable to reproduce on Windows 8 64-bit.

Do you have other documents open? Does this occur every time you try to edit this document?

Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Will,

Thank you for the information and the file.

I uninstalled the existing installation, reinstalled with the version from the link you provided. The problem continues.

I then tried an existing installation (300 version) on a second machine, and it is possible to edit all parts of the PDF.

For your information:

Problem machine: Running Windows XP Professional 32bit SP3 with all updates.

Non-problem machine: Running Windows 7 Enterprise 32bit SP1 with all updates.

If you need further information please let me know.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by Paul - Tracker Supp »

Hi Victor,

I tested this in a new XP x86 SP3 machine using Editor build 3.00 and it seems to be functioning correctly for me there. See attached.

Can you use the Help --> Report a Problem... feature of the Editor to send a report with the file and fonts attached. It seems this may be font related. Make sure you attach the file as well as check the boxes to send fonts etc:

Attachments
A4 poster - without colour.zip
(41.31 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Tracker Support North America
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Paul,

Thank you. I have sent an email to pdfxedit@tracker-software.com with the files generated by Report a Problem...

Just in case it makes a difference, both the XP and Windows 7 machines are virtual running under VMWare Fusion.
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the report - we've received it and I've passed it to the appropriate person. As for the Virtual machines - no this should not matter as we are also using VMs for our tests.

Best,
Stefan
home
User

Post by home »

Hi:

I am having the same problem as outlined above.

Double clicking on a word highlights it but editing does not work.

I an running a fresh new install, purchased today. The function I bought it for does not work... :(

How do I get it to work???

George
home
User

Post by home »

I have just sent the results of "Report a Problem..."
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

are you sure you are using the PDF-XChange Editor and not just the PDF-XChange Viewer ?

Please advise the build number from the Help - About Window...
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
home
User

Post by home »

Note - I have just changed my username from home to George Bissenden

Yes - PDF-XChange Editor

Version 3.0 (Build 300.0)

Anything else?

G
John - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Post by John - Tracker Supp »

Yes please zip and upload the file you are working with

thanks
If posting files to this forum - you must archive the files to a ZIP, RAR or 7z file or they will not be uploaded - thank you.

Best regards
Tracker Support
home
User

Post by home »

I have already sent the results of "Report a Problem..." to:

pdfxedit@tracker-software.com

Found this address in "message.txt"

If this is the wrong address please post the correct one.

Thanks

G
home
User

Post by home »

Just looked at the results of my previous send - no idea where all the Chinese idiograms came from... but the files from Report a Problem are still there.

Sent the PDF file zipped, again.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi George,

we have the files. Thanks. Because if the strange Chinese text I cannot tell what your OS is.

Can you tell me:
  • what 'Flavour' of Windows this is, (Win 7, Win 8 etc)
  • is it 'Home', 'Home Premium', 'Professional', 'Ultimate' etc.
  • if this is a 32 or 64 bit system?
This can be found in the Windows Control Panel under 'System'.

Thanks
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
home
User

Post by home »

Hi:

XP Pro SP3 32bit

Thanks

G
home
User

Post by home »

Don't know if it is relevant but I use Chrome as my default browser.

G
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks guys,

I have raised a Support Request Ticket to track the investigation. RT#1812: How to edit text? Your files are there as is a reference to this thread so any additional information posted here will be included.

We'll update here when we know more on a fix if appropriate.

hth
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
home
User

Post by home »

Hi:
Anything new on editing PDF files. I have been out of town on work for a couple of weeks and thought that there should have been an answer by now but nothing has been added to the previous.

How do I check on the status of "RT#1812: How to edit text?" from above?

Thanks George
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi George,

The file that was attached to your report when you did Help --> Report a Problem in the Editor, was that a problematic document also? Should we be seeing a problem with this file too? At least at my end, this file edits really cleanly.

Has anyone seen this on another machine?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Hi guys,

we're struggling to reproduce this here, it's unlikely that we'll have this solved for the next build. What Ivan says he needs is a list of all the fonts installed on both systems, both George and Victor. Can you help us with that?
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

Does not the "Report a problem…" function "include your font and colour info" provide a list of fonts?

Just in case the files I sent some time ago did not include the listing of fonts, see attached.
Attachments
fonts.pdf.zip
(635.59 KiB) Downloaded 129 times
srn123
User

Post by srn123 »

I have the same problem as Victor Warner with PDF-XChange Editor. I use the Free version (v3.0 Build 300) on Windows XP Professional-SP3 32-bit on a Lenovo laptop. I edit one line of the PDF document (same as what was attached by Victor) and some non related lines go missing. This doesn't seem to be the case with the PDF-XChange Editor on a Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit running as a VM running on Oracle Virtualbox, on the same laptop, where the editing seems to be fine, but with quirks (see below).

Also if I type the following characters anywhere in the document (qu[]\jk;'zx,./ or any number), after the input of the character, the cursor moves back to the start of the character and any alphabet typed after it overlaps the earlier character. Suspiciously looks like an unicode character input issue where multi-byte characters are present. I have the option 'Install files for complex script and right to left languages' enabled under 'Languages' tab of 'Regional and Language Options' in Control Panel.

Quirk on W7: Can you please edit the line which states "provided only by lawyers" to add or change a few characters in that line. I can edit that line in Windows 7, but the font properties changed after the edit to being non-bold. Try inserting or removing a few characters in the middle.

[edit] It seems to be getting more quirkier. I open the file (Victor's attachment) in PDF-XChange Viewer and the line in question above appears 'bold'. The behavior is consistent when I open it in Adobe Reader X. But when I open the same document in PDF-XChange Editor, the line in question looks thin (and not bold). Note that all this behavior is on the Windows XP session and the zoom quotient is 100% in all cases.

-RamNarayan S
Tracker Supp-Stefan
Site Admin

Thanks for the fonts Victor!
I've included them in the ticket.

And many thanks for the comments RamNarayan S
I am sure that our devs will take those in mind when investigating the case.

Best,
Stefan
srn123
User

Post by srn123 »

An update:

I managed to get Editor editing PDF text properly on Windows XP SP3 32 bit. This procedure may not be applicable for everyone, but here is what I did.

My primary account for my computer is connected to a domain. All my installations are done using the domain account. On a hunch, when I logged in into the PC in Windows Safe Mode, I found that I was able to edit PDFs using PDF Editor. I then tested editing with a local account added to my computer. It worked fine, but the domain connected account still had issues editing the PDF. I tried systematically disabling all entities that were running including McAfee VirusScan which can disable execution of certain files or change execution behavior. Nothing worked.

I had to delete my domain account on my machine and then re-create the domain account (after backing up all necessary files). I found that the PDF Editor worked perfectly well on the same PDFs which had issues earlier. I suspect that some domain policy got corrupted or some registry settings for that account got corrupted or there were potential file ownership issues on the computer.

That doesn't explain clearly why Editor was able to edit certain portions of the same document earlier while it balked at others, but my issue is currently resolved.
Paul - Tracker Supp
Site Admin

Thanks for that srn123.

It does sound like a permissions issue. It's great to hear that recreating the domain account fixed the problem. I've passed this on to the development team to consider should this be an issue for someone else.

:-)
Best regards

Paul O'Rorke
Victor Warner
User

Post by Victor Warner »

I have tried editing the problem file with version 3.0.301. The problem remains.

The difference between my setup of Windows XP and that of SRN123 is that I am not joined to a domain (although the account has full administrator rights).

Please let me know if Tracker Software would like me to try anything.
Ivan - Tracker Software
Site Admin

Post by Ivan - Tracker Software »

The problem is we cannot reproduce the issue on our side, and without being able to reproduce we cannot fix as it is unknown what may cause the problem.

Probably we will ask one of the user who experience the problem to do a remote session (via TeamViewer) where we can use debug version of the editor to locate the problem.
For now I cannot promise any terms when it will happen.
Tracker Software (Project Director)

When attaching files to any message - please ensure they are archived and posted as a .ZIP, .RAR or .7z format - or they will not be posted - thanks.